COMPLETE [ANCIENT MEDICINE] Natural History, volume 6, by Pliny the Elder - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
davydave

Post by davydave »

Hi, Leni-
Afraid this one is a bit too much trouble for me, with the difficult words sometimes not even in dictionary.. think I'm gonna bow out of the race on this one, let me know if anything else available down the road.
Thanks, Dave
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

davydave wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 5:49 pm Hi, Leni-
Afraid this one is a bit too much trouble for me, with the difficult words sometimes not even in dictionary.. think I'm gonna bow out of the race on this one, let me know if anything else available down the road.
Thanks, Dave
It's okay, Dave! Thanks for letting us know!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LCaulkins wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:07 am Hi! I can't commit to DPL, but I have no files this morning from my list, so I'm pulling Section 7 to proof.
Thanks so much for the PLing!
Leni
=================
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Roxanneh wrote: February 21st, 2021, 7:54 am Okay! I think I figured it out :lol: I changed the bit rate to 128 and put it through the noise canceller and it should be in mono -- fingers crossed!

Roxanne

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_16_128kb.mp3
The tech specs are perfect now!

There are just some little stumbles to fix:

@15:40 there is a stumble: "But in the case of that which comes from Com... Commagene"
@ 16:56 - stumble "There are numerous other rem-remedies"
@19:04 - stumble: " We will now resume the order originally prop-proposed"
@33:01 - stumble: "by frequent con-conflagrations"

Also, there should be 5 seconds of silence at the end of the recording.

Thanks!
Leni
=================
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

I have some time. Am pulling section 11 to PL
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

devantatlow wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 5:34 pm Here is section 11, sorry it took a while!
46:08
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/naturalhistoryvolume6_11_128kb.mp3
Hi, Devan! I'm stepping in to help PL over here.

Boy, I sure hope people don't turn to Pliny for attraction advice - Gentlemen, I guarantee that wearing a hyena's anus on your left arm will make us RUN from you, not attract us. :lol: Stick to modern bar pick-up lines - you have a better chance even with those!

This was a long section to do! Thanks so much for helping. Your reading is most excellent - the pacing let me completely absorb everything, and it was by turns entertaining and disgusting. There were some **weird** remedies out there. . .

PL NOTES:

The recording has one spot that needs fixing. If you don't still have your recoding file for this section, you can download it from the file link in the MW.

Scroll over to the area starting around 30 minutes, and then zoom the track in until you can see the individual second marks. You'll see that starting at 32:20, there is a silence that's almost 30 seconds long. Then, when the reading starts in again, the first bit is super, super quiet, and then something weird kicks in and you can't understand what you're saying at all - as if two or three tracks got mushed together, or a TV show was intermixing with it or something.

So the portion that is currently 32:45 - 33:25 needs to be re-recorded. It is on the book's page 318: Chapter 30 beginning.

Start with "Chapter 30" and its title, and read the first couple of sentences, ending with, "which run from the tail towards the head." (With the track zoomed in so that you're seeing the individual second marks, if you can see that the soundwaves are significantly bigger or smaller than the main track, you can use the Amplify effect on the new portion to increase or decrease its decibels so that it approximates the volume of the main track.)

Make sure when you splice the punch-in part into the track, you cut the 30 second silence down to 3 seconds, and don't lose the beginning of your good stuff to keep, which is currently at 33:26.5 and starts with, "The largest of these animals is the Indian seineus. . ."

Let me know if you haven't learned yet how to do punch-ins when you need to replace just a portion of a recording. :)

We sure appreciate your help with this project, particularly since you took on a long section!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Leni wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:09 pm
LCaulkins wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 8:07 am Hi! I can't commit to DPL, but I have no files this morning from my list, so I'm pulling Section 7 to proof.
Hi again :) Section 11 needs to be marked "See PL Notes"

Oh! and hey - I noticed that there's no [GROUP] in the project's subject line. It might help pull readers in if it were there?
~Lynette * -
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

LCaulkins wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:23 pm
Leni wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:09 pm
Hi again :) Section 11 needs to be marked "See PL Notes"

Oh! and hey - I noticed that there's no [GROUP] in the project's subject line. It might help pull readers in if it were there?
Thanks for the PLing. I just saw it and changed the window.

Actually, no projects in this forum (that is, Readers Wanted: Books) should have GROUP in the title. Simply because all of them are group projects! :mrgreen: The GROUP tag should be removed when the project comes from the Launchpad to this forum, but some MCs/BCs forget to remove it. The tag should be just the genre.
Leni
=================
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Oh, good to know! Thanks :)
~Lynette * -
MysticHaze

Post by MysticHaze »

I just wanted to give an update since I have not submitted anything for section 10 yet. School has been busier than expected but I plan to have section 10 done sometime in March.
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

Thanks for the update!
Leni
=================
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Can I take section 13 please
Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi
Leni
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Leni »

wib66 wrote: February 26th, 2021, 12:05 pm Can I take section 13 please
Sure, thanks much for claiming!
Leni
=================
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Will do. Appreciate the feedback!

Now I'm wondering about the advisability of available gentlemen wearing a piece of hyena. It might be preferable to having to listen to the pickup lines. :P
wib66

Post by wib66 »

Michele
When you're having what you feel like is a 'bad day' and then someone comes along out of nowhere and extends to you the simplest of kind gestures, you feel it so deeply within your heart.” ―Miya Yamanouchi