COMPLETE[PLAY]The Author's Farce by Fielding - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Got a character wrong? Could happen. Could, perhaps, be even better that way. Would it work better if both guys are poets? Both bumbling? If one of each, which one should be which? Hard to tell.

That's why we have multiple versions of some projects - every time different people approach a text or a script they do something different. Always exciting to see what comes out at the end of the project.

Thanks, Todd
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

czandra wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 9:28 am yes, I'm sucked in alright. I have fun with it. I got Blot all wrong, though. It could be read either way: he's a bumbling scribbler who can't read, or he's an aspiring poet and it's the other guy who's unrefined. Wind or wind, that is the question.

I'll do it over, but it'll be less fun.

Cz
I wondered afterward about my version of Dash, whom I read as slapdash, irritable, and not particularly interested in art for art's sake. Looking forward to hearing how you chose to interpret Blotpage and how we sound together.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
czandra

Post by czandra »

:wink:
I asked my librarian about the noise, and she said, "no one would come here
if they weren't allowed to talk out loud." So I read out loud.

Je lis à haute voix car refléchir fait trop de bruit!
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

czandra wrote:https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/authorsfarce_Poet_3_128kb.mp3
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/authorsfarce_Blotpage_2_128kb.mp3
I just realized you don't need the whole intro. It can be a voice test! I'm just learning the ropes.
hi Czandra, thank you for the nice acting 8-) I don't think there is really a wrong way to interpret a character, especially not in a farce like this. You can rarely overdo your camping it up :lol: In a tragedy it may sound a bit off, but in farce, anything goes. The sillier the better. Anything to get a laugh out of the discerning audience ;) I think the whole scribblers' scene will be perfectly silly and fun. :mrgreen:

I do have a few PL notes to correct, but mainly it's cuts to be made. As you already rightly noted, in stage plays, basically you only have to read your lines and voice credit and nothing else: no intro (done by narrator), no page references (they won't get used anyway), no outro (again: narrator's job). In fact it is easier for our editor if he only has the quotes that he needs from each reader and doesn't have to rummage through unneeded audio

PL notes for Blotpage:
> volume is a bit under our accepted limit, you could maybe amplify with +4
> from 0:01-0:18: the whole intro can be cut
> at 0:20: for the voice credit, please always use the full description from the Magic Window: "Blotpage, a Scribler, read by czandra"
> at 0:58: outro can also be cut

PL notes for Poet: (since there is no real mistake in the actual lines, this one is optional and I will mark it PL ok already. Just for your info what can be done differently next time)

> volume also a bit low, maybe amplify with +3 - if you don't reupload I'll make a note for Todd in the MW
> from 0:01-0:22: also here, intro can get cut
> at 0:27; at 0:59; at 1:42 and at 3:01: likewise the page references can get cut.
> at 3:55: outro can get cut too

a small note on the filenaming: please never use capital letters in your names.

thanks

And I'm glad you're hooked, you are a super addition to our enthusiastic drama troupe :D

Sonia
czandra

Post by czandra »

Here's the cut version of "poet" - 3m.18s

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/authorsfarce_poet_3_128kb.mp3

Please let me know if volume is better. I'm not sure whether I applied "amplify" properly.

Thanks.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
czandra

Post by czandra »

waiting to hear from PL before I upload the poet a second time. Not sure about "amplify".

BTW, I applaud the artistic freedom tolerated here. Makes me want to know more about the people on here.

Looking in the discussions about "other topics" to find out about recording recent "copyleft" materials. Here's what I found: " Copyleft is different from Public Domain: copyleft demands that all copies and modified versions of a work have the same rights in derivative works created later. Public Domain does not have this kind of ..." Sorry to hear that, and can't say I understand it. Does it mean copyleft cannot be accorded to Librivox recordings? Why not? I'll post my questions in the thread where I found it.

ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

No copyleft allowed, only pure Public Domain. We have no legal staff and NO control over what might happen to a work once we release the recording, and hence we can not issue anything that requires even the barest minimum of distribution controls. For example, we can't guarantee non-commercial uses - our recordings have been found on ebay and audible. We can't guarantee that someone will include a credit to the original author. So it has to be pure Public Domain for us to handle it.

And note that for the international community such as EU, in many cases an author has a fundamental right to their work for the copyright period that they can not give away even if they wish. So new reader translations of things, reader-written etexts, etc are not allowed either.

This is not a very constraining situation - there are gazillions of old works unrecorded as yet.

Thanks, Todd
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I would like to claim Quibble and Bantomite please.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

czandra wrote: February 24th, 2021, 7:46 amHere's the cut version of "poet" - 3m.18s
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/authorsfarce_poet_3_128kb.mp3
Please let me know if volume is better. I'm not sure whether I applied "amplify" properly.
well it is now exactly at 86.2 dB which is acceptable. However, if you had correctly amplified with +3 like I suggested, you should have gotten up to about 89 dB, so you did not use the function entirely accurately. Are you using Audacity ? Can you tell me step-by-step what you did ? Anyway, Todd will adjust volumes later on in editing. So no need to fiddle with the volume anymore.

However, having another listen, I noticed an error I missed last time :oops: sorry for putting you through another edit:

> at 2:45: (p. 46) "booksellers grow fat" – I think you say "bookfellows" :hmm:

thanks

Sonia
czandra

Post by czandra »

Hi Sonia. On Audacity I went to Effect, then chose Amplify, then selected all, but then it was unclear how to apply it. It asked for export, which I tried, but there was no further prompt and no pop-up to indicate what had happened or where the export had gone, whether the change had been added to the file. I wasn't sure whether +3 meant +3 decibels? or +0.3db? Don't want to blast anyone's ears! Audacity "help" doesn't walk you through the steps of amplify. I'd like to know how to do it, though.

I've since done another recording for Heriot's Choice, and I bumped up the recording volume (I think that's what I did), so I'm waiting on Michele to hear whether that volume is okay.

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

czandra wrote: February 25th, 2021, 6:52 amOn Audacity I went to Effect, then chose Amplify, then selected all, but then it was unclear how to apply it. It asked for export
export ? that sounds strange. No, here is the correct step-by-step, you can try it out if you wish:

> first: highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 (or whatever number is required) in the first UPPER box (called "amplification dB") IMPORTANT: change nothing in the LOWER box !!!
> press ok and that's it. The waves should become bigger

Sonia
czandra

Post by czandra »

[/quote]
And note that for the international community such as EU, in many cases an author has a fundamental right to their work for the copyright period that they can not give away even if they wish. So new reader translations of things, reader-written etexts, etc are not allowed either.

This is not a very constraining situation - there are gazillions of old works unrecorded as yet.

Thanks, Todd
[/quote]

Thanks for this information. I'm learning about copyright and PD this way, as well as copyleft. I started a thread on the non-librivox forum for that, if anyone else is interested. Meantime, I'm happy with books that have "stood the test of time," even though that test can be as famously arbitrary as anything else we do. A well-organized but oft-rejected writer with a conscientious estate executor who doesn't throw things in the fire; a fire that bypasses the publishing house with its original MSs; original MSs that are published and popular while others which are brilliant but obscure languish.... all that goes into the mix of Public Domain, as well as the academic lines of disciples who pass down work because it's great, or because it's all they know, .....

You see where this leads one? I'm happy for Librivox, you're so lively. A person could learn a thing or two about writing, if one were a writer!

Czandra

czandra

Post by czandra »

Sonia, re. > first: highlight your recording
> go to Effect
> go to Amplify
> input 3 (or whatever number is required) in the first UPPER box (called "amplification dB") IMPORTANT: change nothing in the LOWER box !!!
> press ok and that's it. The waves should become bigger

Interesting, as this is what I did, I think. Maybe I didn't save it correctly. I probably should have resaved the file. I thought I did, but I'll try it with the other file (poet), using +4.

Thanks, Cz

Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

czandra wrote: February 25th, 2021, 7:02 am Interesting, as this is what I did, I think. Maybe I didn't save it correctly.
well you mentioned export...which I don't see at all in the Amplify function :hmm:

Sonia