QUESTION - Can I record a book solo if others have recorded individual chapters?

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
CameronDavisWA

Post by CameronDavisWA »

Hello everyone,

I had a question about starting a solo project; I would like to record A Book of Giants by Henry Wysham Lanier, but some of the chapters have already been recorded by myself and some other readers as part of the "Myths and Legends" collections. You can see them here: https://librivox.org/author/15306?primary_key=15306&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Is it alright to propose it as a solo work for myself, and record each of the chapters? Or would it be better to just record the missing chapters?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post these questions, please let me know if there's somewhere else I should ask.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

CameronDavisWA wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 9:15 pm Hello everyone,

I had a question about starting a solo project; I would like to record A Book of Giants by Henry Wysham Lanier, but some of the chapters have already been recorded by myself and some other readers as part of the "Myths and Legends" collections. You can see them here: https://librivox.org/author/15306?primary_key=15306&search_category=author&search_page=1&search_form=get_results

Is it alright to propose it as a solo work for myself, and record each of the chapters? Or would it be better to just record the missing chapters?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to post these questions, please let me know if there's somewhere else I should ask.
Hi Cameron! No, this isn't the right place to ask. But it's ok, I'll move this post over to the Need Help forum, where it belongs. :D

Yes, you can certainly record the entire book yourself! However, we don't reuse recordings from other projects, so you'd need to re-record the chapters you've already done as part of the group project.

If that answers your question, great! But if not, let me know what you're still confused on, and I'll be happy to go into more detail.
CameronDavisWA

Post by CameronDavisWA »

Thank you, that's very helpful.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

What Devorah says is correct but in my experience here, most people improve quite rapidly with a few recordings under their belts and often look back on their early ones wryly. So if you love the book maybe a few more group contributions may make your Solo something you will prouder of in the future.

Anne