Banned books and authors (in Australia especially)

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm doing preliminary research for a collection of short works from authors who have been banned by various governments or public agencies. I don't think I would want to add authors who have been banned by private agencies.

I'm not limiting myself to any particular language, but my language skills are limited.

What I have discovered is that Australia banned certain books that really surprised me. The Decameron, for instance! Does anyone know something more about this? I have always thought of Australia as rather liberal in matters of art. Then again, I don't know much!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

There is a list in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments
I only remember Lady Chatterley's Lover being banned by the censorship board .

Anne
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

annise wrote: January 21st, 2021, 8:20 pm There is a list in Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments
I only remember Lady Chatterley's Lover being banned by the censorship board .

Anne
Thank you! I'll have a look.
TheBanjo

Post by TheBanjo »

KevinS wrote: January 21st, 2021, 7:57 pm I have always thought of Australia as rather liberal in matters of art.
Not before, say, 1972, when a Labor government was finally elected after more than two decades of conservative rule. Was a very prudish old place back in the day. But since then, yes, rather liberal, as you say.

Needless to say, I'm an Australian.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The USA isn't censorship-free :D

Anne
barbara2

Post by barbara2 »

Not before, say, 1972, when a Labor government was finally elected after more than two decades of conservative rule. Was a very prudish old place back in the day. But since then, yes, rather liberal, as you say.

Needless to say, I'm an Australian.
It was Time.

Barbara
DACSoft

Post by DACSoft »

From what I've seen during my (long) lifetime, the sole positive thing that comes from (attempts at) banning books is that it increases the interest in reading (and popularity of) those books. Hmmm ... that could be a useful sales gimmick. :lol:

Don