COMPLETE[PLAY]Civil Service by Hare - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you - thank you - thank you.

I am going to assume that you have grudgingly offered to DPL (whether you really intended to volunteer or not by the end of your posting), thus winning my eternal gratitude. Hopefully any tomatoes thrown will only be virtual. Or at lest well enough aimed that they don't hit me - I am wearing a nice shirt today that would not look good if splattered.

You now have access to the MW to change section status as you PL. Since you can't PL your own stuff, I will PL your character sections whenever they appear.

One change you will see in the MW - the claim date has vanished for your sections: you are now "part of management" for the project and are thus not held rigorously to those silly deadline things. Though assumed to provide a "good example" by timely submital....

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

ToddHW wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:02 am Thank you - thank you - thank you.

I am going to assume that you have grudgingly offered to DPL (whether you really intended to volunteer or not by the end of your posting), thus winning my eternal gratitude.
Yes, I did mean to volunteer. Although had I known about your eternal gratitude, I wouldn't have been so hesitant. There are some things worth risking a tomato shower for... :D
ToddHW wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:02 am Hopefully any tomatoes thrown will only be virtual. Or at lest well enough aimed that they don't hit me - I am wearing a nice shirt today that would not look good if splattered.
For your eternal gratitude, I'd be willing to take a tomato for you -- I'll dive in front (in slow motion, of course)...
ToddHW wrote: February 21st, 2021, 9:02 am One change you will see in the MW - the claim date has vanished for your sections: you are now "part of management" for the project and are thus not held rigorously to those silly deadline things. Though assumed to provide a "good example" by timely submital....
Ooooh, the VIP benefits are starting to pile up already. I like the sound of that. Hope I won't let this kind of power go to my head... :wink:
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

I can't think of anyone else who has ever promised to take a tomato for me - especially not in slow motion. I may have to go rewatch "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" to see the full benefits of such actions.

Thanks, Todd
Shawn510

Post by Shawn510 »

Shawn510

Post by Shawn510 »

benderca

Post by benderca »

Shawn510 wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm Here is my act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_postmaster_1_128kb.mp3

07:16 length

Thanks!
Thanks, Shawn! Nice reading!

One small note at 3:02:
The line reads: "I'll see if I can't fix a job for him here in town."
You say: "I'll see if I can't fix him up for a job here in town."
I think "fix him up with a job" would have the same meaning, but fix him up "for" a job sounds like you need to fix old R.F.D up (which may be the case ... :lol: ). I'll let Todd decide.
benderca

Post by benderca »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: February 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm Well, Here is the thoroughly undelightful young lady... Poor Steve...

I read the physical characteristics of Octavia... "Should be played by a beautiful girl with a distinct style" oops... :( :shock: :(

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_octavia_1_128kb.mp3 (7:25)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_octavia_2_128kb.mp3 (2:14)

Annie
Thanks, Annie! Nice reading -- you're quite convincing as the beautiful flirt... :wink:
There were a couple of deviations from script in Act 1 that didn't change the meaning any, so I won't mention them.

I'll just point out this one word, which I also don't think changes the meaning and could be left as is:
0:50
It must be nearly time to open the postoffice, isn't it. Mr. Peavy? -- you say "reopen"

Todd? (You see, I'm a little nervous with all this power... :lol: ).
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

May I just take this opportunity to offer an old bloke's opinion, very much in the spirit of Librivox I think, that it was never the visual. It was always the voice in your ear in the dark.

Well, that's my opinion. I better haul ass back to Neanderthal country again.

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
benderca

Post by benderca »

Fantastic reading, Kevin! You had me laughing out loud! :lol:

I would suggest this minor correction at 2:54:
The line reads: "Well, Steve, how far did you get?" -- You say "Well, Sir, how far did you get?" This may be confusing because Peavy calls Reynolds (Peavy's boss) "Sir", but Steve seems to be Peavy's junior, so I don't think Peavy would call him "Sir". Also "did you get" is a bit unclear -- it sounds like you slipped an extra word in there (sounds like "have you be get").

6:13 (I would call this one "optional"):
"It's colder'n a salt mackerel." -- instead of "mackerel" (the fish), it sounds like "smackerel". (It might be funnier if that were clear).

9:12
The line reads: "That'll do, my golden sunset. The postmaster wants you." -- You say "sunshine" (I think both are equally funny, so I would call this one optional too).
benderca

Post by benderca »

Lovely girl, that Octavia!

Octavia, Act 2 is PL OK!

Thanks, Annie!
Last edited by benderca on March 1st, 2021, 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
benderca

Post by benderca »

SonOfTheExiles wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:46 am May I just take this opportunity to offer an old bloke's opinion, very much in the spirit of Librivox I think, that it was never the visual. It was always the voice in your ear in the dark.

Well, that's my opinion. I better haul ass back to Neanderthal country again.

Cheers,
Chris
That's a lot of deep thinking, you're doing there, Chris. Better watch out, you may strain your brain... :lol:
benderca

Post by benderca »

Shawn510 wrote: February 21st, 2021, 7:21 pm Here is my act 2:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_postmaster_2_128kb.mp3 (3:58)

Thanks
Nice! Thanks, Shawn!

Just one little note: At the end of Act 2 (p. 55), there is an "ALL" line, and Reynolds seems to still be in the room, so he should say it.

All. You ?
benderca

Post by benderca »

Shawn510 wrote: February 21st, 2021, 8:42 pm Here is act 3:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_postmaster_3_128kb.mp3 (1:23)

Thanks!
Reynolds, Act 3, is PL OK!

Thanks, Shawn!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:30 am
AngeliqueAnja wrote: February 19th, 2021, 3:02 pm Well, Here is the thoroughly undelightful young lady... Poor Steve...

I read the physical characteristics of Octavia... "Should be played by a beautiful girl with a distinct style" oops... :( :shock: :(

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_octavia_1_128kb.mp3 (7:25)
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_octavia_2_128kb.mp3 (2:14)

Annie
Thanks, Annie! Nice reading -- you're quite convincing as the beautiful flirt... :wink:
There were a couple of deviations from script in Act 1 that didn't change the meaning any, so I won't mention them.

I'll just point out this one word, which I also don't think changes the meaning and could be left as is:
0:50
It must be nearly time to open the postoffice, isn't it. Mr. Peavy? -- you say "reopen"

Todd? (You see, I'm a little nervous with all this power... :lol: ).
Ah, the corrupting influence of power....

I too prefer "open" rather than "reopen"....

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

benderca wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 2:00 am
Shawn510 wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:45 pm Here is my act 1:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/civilservice_postmaster_1_128kb.mp3

07:16 length

Thanks!
Thanks, Shawn! Nice reading!

One small note at 3:02:
The line reads: "I'll see if I can't fix a job for him here in town."
You say: "I'll see if I can't fix him up for a job here in town."
I think "fix him up with a job" would have the same meaning, but fix him up "for" a job sounds like you need to fix old R.F.D up (which may be the case ... :lol: ). I'll let Todd decide.
Since I'm playing Old RFD, I'm all ready perfect and don' wanna be fixed. I prefer "fix a job for him". But it is optional.

Thanks, Todd