[Complete] ZADIG; Or, The Book of Fate, by Voltaire (1694 - 1778) - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

ZADIG; OR, THE Book of Fate (1694 - 1778).

Abandoned solo made into group project 3/13/22

All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/zadig-or-the-book-of-fate-version-2-by-voltaire/

"there is no Evil under the Sun, but some Good proceeds from it:" -- this quote from this novel sums it up. One of Voltaire's most celebrated works, Zadig follows the plight of a young man, Zadig, as he embarks on matrimony. This tale is somewhat philosophical, suggesting that no matter how we act, we are confronted by bigotry, injustice and betrayal. Although set in Babylon, there is no attempt at historical accuracy.
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://gutenberg.org/ebooks/18972
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard and I welcome any suggestions

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): ( Voltaine) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltaire
  • Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zadig
  • Number of sections (files) this project will have: 19
  • Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: Yes
  • Original publication date (if known): 1747
============================================

Genres for the project: General Fiction/Published before 1800; Literary Fiction

Keywords that describe the book: fiction, novella, French literature, philosophical fiction, action, adventure, crime, mystery, culture, heritage, fictional memoir, detective fiction, humorous, historical fiction, political fiction, philosophy, social criticism

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of ZADIG; OR, THE Book of Fate, by Voltaire. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org ZADIG; OR, THE Book of Fate Chapter [number, title]"

[/list]

END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of Chapter [number, title]. Recording by Grace Buchanan"
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of ZADIG; OR, THE Book of Fate, by Voltaire."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename zadig_##_voltaire_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. zadig_01_voltaire_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: lt - Lynnet
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]
Last edited by GraceBuchanan on May 31st, 2022, 12:45 pm, edited 8 times in total.
My LibriVox publications

All Listeners: I welcome all feedback including word-perfect proofing
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I am making the cover for this audiobook.
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

I'll set this up.
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

All set. Do you have a DPL arranged?
Let me know if you need anything else.
Lynne
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Wow Lynne! I'm glad to have you on board! Thanks!

The DPL role is still open...
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GraceBuchanan wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:53 am Wow Lynne! I'm glad to have you on board! Thanks!

The DPL role is still open...
I have added a tilde to the subject line to try and attract a DPL - but don’t worry, I have a habit of PLing if no one offers in a timely manner :lol:
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Lynnet wrote: January 19th, 2021, 11:29 am I have a habit of PLing if no one offers in a timely manner :lol:
That's marvelous! Thank you!
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

Moved to Going Solo
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

I recall coming across something in a forum here that advised keeping the number of genre categories to a short list, maybe 3 at most. I'm having trouble narrowing down the number of genres for this book. I will keep this task in mind as I record it, and will let you know which ones I'd like to move to Keywords. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime? Thanks.
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GraceBuchanan wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:22 am I recall coming across something in a forum here that advised keeping the number of genre categories to a short list, maybe 3 at most. I'm having trouble narrowing down the number of genres for this book. I will keep this task in mind as I record it, and will let you know which ones I'd like to move to Keywords. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime? Thanks.
I’m not familiar with the book... so failing all else, literary fiction? General fiction?
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Lynnet wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:35 am
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:22 am I recall coming across something in a forum here that advised keeping the number of genre categories to a short list, maybe 3 at most. I'm having trouble narrowing down the number of genres for this book. I will keep this task in mind as I record it, and will let you know which ones I'd like to move to Keywords. Do you have any suggestions in the meantime? Thanks.
I’m not familiar with the book... so failing all else, literary fiction? General fiction?
Thanks for the suggestions. Those genres certainly make sense. So you recommend that we go with more general genres rather than specific ones?

I'm not familiar with this book either -- yet (I've only read it once) -- but I understand that the Sherlock Holmes character was inspired by a chapter or two, the sub title implies that it is fictional history, it's written as a fictitious memoir, it expresses the author's expertise in philosophy, it reflects the culture of France in the mid 1700s...
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GraceBuchanan wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:52 am
Thanks for the suggestions. Those genres certainly make sense. So you recommend that we go with more general genres rather than specific ones?

I'm not familiar with this book either -- yet (I've only read it once) -- but I understand that the Sherlock Holmes character was inspired by a chapter or two, the sub title implies that it is fictional history, it's written as a fictitious memoir, it expresses the author's expertise in philosophy, it reflects the culture of France in the mid 1700s...
Id go with literary fiction. But ultimately it’s up to you
GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

Lynnet wrote: January 26th, 2021, 11:40 am
GraceBuchanan wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:52 am

Id go with literary fiction. But ultimately it’s up to you
I appreciate your suggestion. Thank you.
My LibriVox publications

GraceBuchanan

Post by GraceBuchanan »

lomond wrote:February 21st, 2021, 3:51 pm DPL?

Sure, sign me up.

Lomond
! We have a DPL! :clap:

Can I remove the tilde in the title? How?
My LibriVox publications

Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

GraceBuchanan wrote: February 21st, 2021, 5:23 pm
lomond wrote:February 21st, 2021, 3:51 pm DPL?

Sure, sign me up.

Lomond
! We have a DPL! :clap:

Can I remove the tilde in the title? How?
I will add him as DPL!
To delete the tilde, use the stubby little pencil icon (just above the bold title... to the right, although, depending on your browser it maybe more central) and you can edit the first post, including the title, which appears in its own box.