COMPLETE The Beast-Jewel of Mars-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

EVKesserich wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:49 pm
I'm working on chapter four and, for what ever reason, it seems my memory deceived me on the length. It will probably be under (or just over) 20:00. Would you advise rolling that into chapter five (ie, three recorded sections), or going back and splitting things up properly by chapters? I've only done one solo project previously, and I was advised then that individual sections shouldn't be too short. Not sure what (if anything) needs to be done here.

Thanks for your patience!
Personally, I don't think there is any advantage to combining the chapters.

Truthfully, I would have kept Chapters 1 and 2 separate.

Not "too short" is a relative concept. And, a lot depends on the project. On solo I am PL for, the soloist will split a 50-60 min section into two parts. I have others where the sections run about 15 min each. Others where section may vary a lot from 20-45 min. because that's the way the chapters are written.

I think 20-30 minutes is ideal. First, I think it is easier for both reader and PL to handle. But, primarily I try to consider it from the listeners perspective. These lengths are comfortable "chunks" to listen too, and long ones may be more of a challenge.

This is just one person's opinion, so ultimately the choice is yours, of course.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

silverquill wrote: February 15th, 2021, 10:12 pm
EVKesserich wrote: February 15th, 2021, 2:49 pm
I'm working on chapter four and, for what ever reason, it seems my memory deceived me on the length. It will probably be under (or just over) 20:00. Would you advise rolling that into chapter five (ie, three recorded sections), or going back and splitting things up properly by chapters? I've only done one solo project previously, and I was advised then that individual sections shouldn't be too short. Not sure what (if anything) needs to be done here.

Thanks for your patience!
Personally, I don't think there is any advantage to combining the chapters.

Truthfully, I would have kept Chapters 1 and 2 separate.

Not "too short" is a relative concept. And, a lot depends on the project. On solo I am PL for, the soloist will split a 50-60 min section into two parts. I have others where the sections run about 15 min each. Others where section may vary a lot from 20-45 min. because that's the way the chapters are written.

I think 20-30 minutes is ideal. First, I think it is easier for both reader and PL to handle. But, primarily I try to consider it from the listeners perspective. These lengths are comfortable "chunks" to listen too, and long ones may be more of a challenge.

This is just one person's opinion, so ultimately the choice is yours, of course.
Thank you for the advice-- it's very helpful. I went ahead and split the first part back into its original two sections. I marked these and Section III as 'spot check', since all I did was change the intro and exit accordingly.

Sections IV and V are ready for PL at 14:06 and 16:07 respectively.

Again, I appreciate your patience while I find my sea-legs! :)
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great!
I'll check all of this as soon as I can.
This seems to be the week that all of my DPL projects have posted multiple sections. It just happens that way sometimes. :lol:
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I do like this a lot better.
I've checked all of the sections and finished the proof listen, and am pleased to mark them all PL OK!

Congratulations on we well done solo project. :clap:
It's been my pleasure to listen along.

Devorah will have this in the catalog for you soon.
~ Larry
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

silverquill wrote: February 19th, 2021, 2:43 pm I do like this a lot better.
I've checked all of the sections and finished the proof listen, and am pleased to mark them all PL OK!

Congratulations on we well done solo project. :clap:
It's been my pleasure to listen along.

Devorah will have this in the catalog for you soon.
Awesome, thank you so much! You're right-- this way was much better. I'm so glad I asked.
Thank you for being so quick and thorough. I enjoyed having your help. :)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Quick work, you two! I'll get started on it!
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-beast-jewel-of-mars-by-leigh-douglass-brackett/

Congratulations! :clap:
EVKesserich

Post by EVKesserich »

mightyfelix wrote: February 20th, 2021, 12:14 pm This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-beast-jewel-of-mars-by-leigh-douglass-brackett/

Congratulations! :clap:
Wow, that is a fantastic cover!
Thank you both so much!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

Glad you liked it :D

Anne