[FIXED] Audacity MP3 Export issues [Mac]

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
AnnaBae

Post by AnnaBae »

Hey Guys-
I am trying to export my 1 minute test recording from audacity, but I don't seem to have the options necessary for it to be accepted by Librivox. I have been following the instructions on the wiki page religiously, but after I press "Export as Mp3" under the format options for "Bit Rate Mode" the only options are preset, variable and average, there is no available option for constant which seems to be what is needed for Librivox. I am running the latest version of Audacity (2.4.2) and I have been trouble shooting for a while now with no idea how to fix this. Has anyone else come across this problem or know how to fix it? I would be so grateful for any advice. Thanks in advance!
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Welcome here! I've come across this issue at least twice before with members using Audacity, but we weren't able to figure it out at the time (they had to switch computers). So I'm anxiously waiting to see if anyone has a solution for you! Just to say that you're not alone!

Edited to add: so, in case it is a computer-audacity combination problem, what kind of operating system do you have, etc?
schrm

Post by schrm »

do you have the "force export to mono" checkmark-box?
from the audacity help pages:
If you are exporting a constant bit rate spoken word MP3 such as an audiobook and have a stereo track in Audacity where both channels are identical, it's preferable to use Tracks > Mix > Mix Stereo down to Mono to convert to a single mono track before export. This will still sound the same on stereo equipment, but have higher quality because the fixed number of bits have less audio to process.
https://manual.audacityteam.org/man/mp3_export_options.html
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
schrm

Post by schrm »

also, sometimes it is just something small:

1. the export dialogue window may be dragged and changed in it's side proportions, so that this last point mono isn't visible anymore. try to maximize the window.
2. did you shut-down and restarted your laptop/notebook/pc after installing audacity?
did you try to update it to the newest stable version?
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

My Audacity 2.4.2 has the Constant bit rate mode option. :hmm:

Could you capture a picture of your export box, and then upload it somewhere like Google Drive and share it so we can see it?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots-00246869-1843-655f-f220-97299b865f6b
https://support.google.com/drive/answer/2494822?co=GENIE.Platform%3DDesktop&hl=en
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
AnnaBae

Post by AnnaBae »

Thanks everyone for being so willing to help me figure this out. Here is some more information that I have been asked about. I am running audacity on my mac with the El Capitan operating system. My Mp3 is recorded as a single mono track. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the program, closing it and reopening it as well as restarting my computer none of which seems to have helped. Here is the link to the export box screen shot. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s1jEYvNTN-BMXrmx_zSOlPsB69idKFHP6fJne0grXBw/edit?usp=sharing
Let me know if you guys have any more ideas! Thank you!!
schrm

Post by schrm »

AnnaBae wrote: February 20th, 2021, 9:50 am Thanks everyone for being so willing to help me figure this out. Here is some more information that I have been asked about. I am running audacity on my mac with the El Capitan operating system. My Mp3 is recorded as a single mono track. I have tried deleting and reinstalling the program, closing it and reopening it as well as restarting my computer none of which seems to have helped. Here is the link to the export box screen shot. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1s1jEYvNTN-BMXrmx_zSOlPsB69idKFHP6fJne0grXBw/edit?usp=sharing
Let me know if you guys have any more ideas! Thank you!!
yes, do you see in the lower right corner the checkmark box with the text"force e"?
this should be the "force export to mono"checkmark box and text.

the window is cutting the text and maybe doesn't show the mono option, because it is set to too small.
try hovering with your mouse over the right outmost border of the dialogue window. there is a small zone, where the cursor changes to a drag and drop symbol. drag the border of the window "more broad", until you are able to read the whole text and see the whole window.

in linux the changed cursor looks like this:
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The "force export to mono" has nothing to do with the bit rate, so that's not the problem.

I've posted your question over on the Audacity help forum. It'll need to be approved before it shows publicly. It will be available on the forum list here: https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewforum.php?f=47
AnnaBae

Post by AnnaBae »

Wow such an easy fix. Thank you everyone!
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Wait - you fixed it? How?

Should I delete that thread I posted in the Audacity forum?
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It's probably what Wolfi suggested, resizing the window :?:
I wanted to post that that's why he mentioned "force export to mono" being cut short.

Glad it worked! :clap:
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:05 am Wait - you fixed it? How?

Should I delete that thread I posted in the Audacity forum?
i made a video but it is too big to post it without problems:
that may be a difference between windows and unix world (linux and mac os)!
in unix, when hovering over the border of the dialogue window, the cursor changes. clicking it and holding it, you can make the dialogue window broader and slimmer.
when it is too small, you won't see all options and the text correctly.
when making it broad enough or maximizing the dialogue window, everything is back there!

:D

edit: yes that's called and summarized with resizing, :lol:
thx rapunzelina!
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
AnnaBae

Post by AnnaBae »

yeah it was just a matter of expanding the export box. It took me a while because jest clicking to stretch it wasn't working but pressing command and + together expanded the box so I could see all the options.
schrm

Post by schrm »

AnnaBae wrote: February 20th, 2021, 11:22 am yeah it was just a matter of expanding the export box. It took me a while because jest clicking to stretch it wasn't working but pressing command and + together expanded the box so I could see all the options.
:clap:

perfect!
and: something learned anew!
so a big thx to you :-)
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275