COMPLETE [GROUP/RELIGION, with 3 DR dialogues] Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria, by Athanasius of Alexandria (c. 297 - 373), translated by Edward Bouverie Pusey (1800 - 1882) and William Bright (1824 - 1901)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/later-treatises-by-athanasius-of-alexandria/
The times, for which God raised up Saint Athanasius, have, in many respects, a counterpart in our own. There is, now too, earnest, ever-enlarging, adherence to the faith, in those who hold it. But there is also a wide-spread dislike of definite doctrine, such as found a vent in the different shades of Arianism. They framed eleven Creeds, to satisfy themselves or others, over-against the one faith, put forth at Nicaea and accepted by the whole Church. They swung to and fro, at times approximating nearer to the truth; but their secret maxim, unknown to themselves, was, "anything but the Truth".<br><br>
But Saint Athanasius speaks more nearly to us, who would defend that faith. Wide as differences now are, the adherence to the maxims and principles of Saint Athanasius may prevent their being wider, or may win many to the whole truth. It is a great step to understand one another. "Saint Athanasius looked through words into meanings." "One of the characteristic points in Saint Athanasius," said Card. Newman 40 years ago, "is his constant attention to the sense of doctrine, or the meaning of writers, in preference to the words used."
(Summary by E. B. Pusey in Observations)
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/latertreatisesof46atha/page/n17/mode/2up

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria, by Athanasius of Alexandria, translated by Edward Bouverie Pusey and William Bright. Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Later Treatises of Saint Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria, by Athanasius of Alexandria, translated by Edward Bouverie Pusey and William Bright."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: latertreatises_##_athanasius_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. latertreatises_01_athanasius_128kb.mp3)

For the dialogues, please upload .FLAC (Audacity->File->Export Audio, selct .flac as the file format)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: maryannspiegel

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
Last edited by InTheDesert on February 19th, 2021, 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

I will DPL this and edit the 3 dialogues at the end.

We will only be reading the text itself, not the initial observations or footnotes.
mrmig0607

Post by mrmig0607 »

I’m so in for this one! He is a top pick for me on confirmation saints (I’m an adult convert).

Please let me know when magic window is up with sections!
Mike
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mrmig0607 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:06 pm I’m so in for this one! He is a top pick for me on confirmation saints (I’m an adult convert).

Great! You can have a look at the TOC on the text link and pick one of the 8 treatises or one of the 2 roles in each of the three dialogues if you like!
mrmig0607

Post by mrmig0607 »

InTheDesert wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:36 pm
mrmig0607 wrote: February 18th, 2021, 10:06 pm I’m so in for this one! He is a top pick for me on confirmation saints (I’m an adult convert).

Great! You can have a look at the TOC on the text link and pick one of the 8 treatises or one of the 2 roles in each of the three dialogues if you like!
I am interested in doing Treatise II but page 17 seems to be undecipherable, is there another place I should look for a better copy of that page?
Mike
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

That does indeed look like an issue! I've updated the text to use the Princeton scan who consistently do a better job that Google.
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD,
I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

OK, you are set. Let's move to "readers wanted-books" for now. If the dialogs are still open after the treatises are claimed, we can move to the dramatic works forum to fill out the readers.

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mrmig0607 wrote: February 19th, 2021, 8:50 am I am interested in doing Treatise II but page 17 seems to be undecipherable, is there another place I should look for a better copy of that page?
I've assigned the second treatise to you.
mrmig0607

Post by mrmig0607 »

InTheDesert wrote: February 18th, 2021, 9:43 pm I will DPL this and edit the 3 dialogues at the end.

We will only be reading the text itself, not the initial observations or footnotes.
Are we to read the "Introduction" at the beginning of each Epistle?
Mike
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

mrmig0607 wrote: February 28th, 2021, 1:04 pm Are we to read the "Introduction" at the beginning of each Epistle?
Nope! Just the text.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Ah, how interesting!
Could I read Orthodox in the three dialogues?
(.flac files are no problem)
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

silverquill wrote: February 28th, 2021, 8:48 pm Ah, how interesting!
Could I read Orthodox in the three dialogues?
(.flac files are no problem)
Absolutely!
ChristopherFoeckler

Post by ChristopherFoeckler »

Huge fan of Athanasius! Can I read the Introduction and the "Tome to Those at Antioch"?
I can also take the Epistle to the African Bishops, if you like?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

ChristopherFoeckler wrote: March 1st, 2021, 7:27 pm Huge fan of Athanasius! Can I read the Introduction and the "Tome to Those at Antioch"?
I can also take the Epistle to the African Bishops, if you like?
This one is just the text (skipping the introduction) but you're welcome to both those sections!