COMPLETE National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09 - September 1898 -rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09 - September 1898, by National Geographic Society

This project is complete and all audio files can be found in the catalogue: https://librivox.org/the-national-geographic-magazine-vol-09-09-september-1898-by-national-geographic-society/
The National Geographic Magazine, an illustrated monthly, Vol IX, September 1898.
It includes the following articles:
  • The Growth of the United States, by W J McGee
  • Bitter Root Forest Reserve, by Richard U. Goode
  • Atlantic Estuarine Tides, by Mark S. W. Jefferson
  • The Forest Conditions and Standing Timber of the State of Washington, by Henry Gannett
  • American Association for the Advancement of Science, by John Hyde
Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/nationalgeograph91898nati (direct links provided in the Magic Window)

Deadline: Please submit your recording within 1-2 months of placing your claim. If you cannot complete the recording within this time, please post in the thread to relinquish your claim or to ask the BC for an extension. If your recording is not completed by the deadline, your claim may be reassigned at the BC's discretion.

Claiming sections: Look in the Magic Window below for the list of available sections. Post a reply in this thread asking for the section you would like to record. Previous projects show that 10 pages give a recording of about 25-35 minutes, depending on reading speed.

New to recording? Please see our Newbie Guide to Recording for further instructions. A quick guide to our required technical settings can be found here. When you post your file, please tell the BC what name you would like to use in our catalog.

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

Say:
"Section # of The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09, September 1898. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name, /city, /date."]
"[Article Name by Author Name, as these appear in the text]"
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, /city, /date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of The National Geographic Magazine Vol. 09, September 1898"
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: ngm09_09_##_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. ngm09_09_01_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
(If you have trouble reading the image above, please contact an admin)

MC to select: Rapunzelina

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into a new post in this thread along with the file duration (mm:ss). Watch this thread for prooflistening notes.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask! Just post in this thread.
BettyB

Post by BettyB »

May I claim Section 5...

BettyB
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Absolutely, BettyB! Thank you!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

I would like to read Section 4, if I may.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Certainly! Thank you, Larry!
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Hi there,

More of National Geographic Magazine. :D

May I please claim Section 1?

Thanks,

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

May I read section 2?
MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Wayne and MaryAnn! I'm so happy to see you in this issue of Nat Geo! :D
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Well, it's just luck on my part. Back when there were more items in each issue, it was easier to snag a section. Now that there are just a few ... you gotta be fast or they are all gone!

MaryAnn
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Yes, indeed they have gotten short. I have considered doing them by year rather than by month, but have not yet decided, as by year seems a bit daunting.

Moved to Readers Wanted!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Okay, I'll be first in -- but, it's a short section:

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm09_09_04_128kb.mp3 6:40
~ Larry
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Thank you, Larry! :clap:
I want to say "so much timber!" and then I wonder whether half of it is left now.

Section 4: PL OK!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 19th, 2021, 3:10 pm Thank you, Larry! :clap:
I want to say "so much timber!" and then I wonder whether half of it is left now.

Section 4: PL OK!
Most of the "old growth" is gone, except what has been protected on the Olympic Peninsula. Then there is the controversial practice of "clear cutting" where large swaths of forest are leveled to the ground! The theory is that this will all be replanted, just as one would plant rows of corn. When this happens, it works -- sort of. But, too often the lumber company never does it, and the destruction is devastating. I worked in a plywood mill during my summers back in college days. Logs would come down by train, or even floated down the river, and trucks, of course. Some of those were absolutely huge. Now it's all second or third growth. That was southern Oregon. And we had mountains of wood ships destined for paper mills, often in huge ships destined for Japan. Sadly, the timber industry in both Oregon and Washington has dwindled to a shadow of what it was in those days. :(
~ Larry
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

Rapunzelina wrote: February 18th, 2021, 5:02 pm Thank you, Wayne and MaryAnn! I'm so happy to see you in this issue of Nat Geo! :D
Here is Section 1: https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/ngm09_09_01_128kb.mp3

Time: 25:32

His history was great, but some of his ideas for the future were a little off, but they would have been great if they could have happened.. :)

Wayne
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

It seems like everybody had great ideas for the future at the time! Or, ideas for a great future :mrgreen:

Thank you, Wayne! Section 1 is PL OK!