[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 02, The Reformation - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SimonParent wrote: February 5th, 2021, 9:37 pm Hi, here's section 18.
Sorry for the delay. Had a busy week. Nice work with the many German names and a few Latin phrases! Since you were interested in pronunciation problems, I noted all the issues that interfered with comprehension.

(2:02) p. 154, I hear "inaptability" instead of "inadaptability"
(6:01) I hear "normally" instead of "nominally"
(7:02) I hear "no proof" instead of "not proof" (proof = able to withstand)
(10:04) p. 156 I hear "The deputies of the town" instead of "towns"
(10:50) p. 157 I hear "authority" instead of "autonomy", subtle but significant change of meaning
(13:14) I hear "juridicature" instead of "judicature"
(16:23) I hear "naturalized" instead of "neutralized"
(16:24) Placing the stress on the second syllable of "impotence" instead of the first makes it sound like "importance", which nearly reverses the meaning
(20:58) p. 159 I hear "the friar extracted" instead of "friars"
(21:54) Missing sentence: "So while the Princes... the cities."
(25:04) p. 160 Missing phrase "in east Friesland"
(30:41) p. 162 I hear something like "boolkwalk" instead of "bulwark"
(30:56) I hear "men's" instead of "men"
(30:57, 31:03) I hear "woman" instead of "women" (pronounced "wimen")
(30:19) p. 163 I hear "professly" (which my ear would approximate to "purposely") instead of "professedly"
(33:23) confusing stress in "impotence"
(33:46) I hear "appelling" instead of "appalling" (a-PAUL-ing)
(34:06) confusing stress in "impotence"
(34:43) I hear "these assault" instead of "those assaults" (which changes the meaning to "the assault(s) just mentioned" from "the assaults which...")

You don't have to change all of these, but let me know which ones you change (or don't) for spot PL.

At the end, please add "end of section 18".

Additionally, I heard "Lutherian" instead of Lutheran in several places. It sounds like a word that might exist, and it's clear enough what it would have meant, so just for the future.
Also for the future, the first syllable in "archbishop" rhymes with "march" (still easy to understand, because it's pronounced "ark" in "archangel")

Thanks!
Michael
Last edited by Kazbek on February 13th, 2021, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

geoffreydesena wrote: February 13th, 2021, 11:04 am Here's section 62! [26:25]
And I'll commit to section 61 as well.
Thank you, Geoffrey!

Michael
MariaMironova

Post by MariaMironova »

Kazbek wrote: January 20th, 2021, 9:11 pm
MariaMironova wrote: January 20th, 2021, 7:13 pm Hello once again! I will be using the pdf version of the Modern History provided in the link on the top of this page; but I was a bit confused as to how to understand where one part of the chapter ends and where does the other begins?
Hi Maria,

If you look at the Notes column in the Magic Window, you'll see the page ranges for each of the sections, as well as their first/last words when the section break falls in the middle of a page. Let me know if anything is unclear.

Michael

Hello Michael! This is the link to my 1-minute test:
https://librivox.org/uploads/tests/LibriVox_1-minute_test.mp3

If everything is alright with it, I will proceed to upload the recordings of the CMH. Thank you!

Best,
M
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

MariaMironova wrote: February 14th, 2021, 1:15 pm Hello Michael! This is the link to my 1-minute test:
Hi Maria,

Nice to hear from you. I've replied in the other forum.

Michael
SimonParent

Post by SimonParent »

Thank you so much! I will rework all the sections you mentionned, and will hunt for the "arKbishobs" to replace them with "arCHbishops".
I really appreciate your feedback, I will post the revised section 18 soon.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SimonParent wrote: February 15th, 2021, 8:30 am Thank you so much! I will rework all the sections you mentionned, and will hunt for the "arKbishobs" to replace them with "arCHbishops".
I really appreciate your feedback, I will post the revised section 18 soon.
In that case, you'll probably want to use the "full text" format at the Archive link, where you can do a word search.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hasnu wrote: February 13th, 2021, 4:03 am Here is Section 10 recorded and edited as best as I could! Hope there are no errors to be addressed :D
Link: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_10_128kb.mp3 [30:08]
Hi Hasnu,

Just a couple of minor issues:

(13:39) p. 78 I think I'm hearing "Charles had besieged the end" instead of "reached"
(28:03) stumble/repeat "and this seemed to give the Pope"

I also have a general suggestion for the future. You start off with a nice tempo, and at that speed your reading is lively and clear. In some passages later on your speed picks up, and while it's impressive that you can read a rather difficult text so briskly, some words become hard to make out. In a text dense with information and with complex sentence structure, when a couple of words are unclear, the entire sentence can be difficult to follow. If you can keep near the lower end of your natural reading speed range, I think that listeners will have an easier time understanding the text. Just something to keep in mind. :)

I look forward to the next section.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

geoffreydesena wrote: February 13th, 2021, 11:04 am Here's section 62! [26:25]
Very nice, as usual. Just a minor issue of format: please add "end of section 62" at the end. "End of chapter N" is not part of the format, but I don't object when readers add it as well. :)

Michael
wildlindajohnson

Post by wildlindajohnson »

Linda Johnson
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

wildlindajohnson wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 11:01 am Here's Section 57:
Thank you, Linda! PL OK and another chapter completed. :clap:

Michael
MariaMironova

Post by MariaMironova »

Hello all! Here are the links to two of my sections:

Section 37: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_37_128kb.mp3 [42:23]

Section 38: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_38_128kb.mp3 [44:27]

I am experiencing some technical difficulties with Section 39, but it is long since recorded (back at the start of February, even before the 1-minute test...), and I will upload it no later than this Saturday.

Regarding these two sections, I am pretty sure I butchered a few of the names and the Latin (although no demons appeared as yet), my accent in English is not always the most fortunate aspect of my speech either, so CC in addition to the notes would most certainly be welcome.

Thank you!

Best,
M.
Last edited by MariaMironova on February 25th, 2021, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
geoffreydesena

Post by geoffreydesena »

Kazbek wrote: February 19th, 2021, 9:59 pm
Very nice, as usual. Just a minor issue of format: please add "end of section 62" at the end. "End of chapter N" is not part of the format, but I don't object when readers add it as well. :)

Michael
Woops! I should probably check some of my other recordings because I may have gotten away with that before.

Section 62 with the proper ending:

[26:25]
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_62_128kb.mp3
Sustainably,
Geoffrey DeSena
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

MariaMironova wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:57 pm Hello all! Here are the links to two of my sections:
Thank you, Maria! I'll PL in the next couple of days.

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

geoffreydesena wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:32 am Woops! I should probably check some of my other recordings because I may have gotten away with that before.
That's ok. If you did, I would probably have noticed it, and if I didn't, it's probably not a big deal. :) Section 62 is PL OK!

Michael
Jonatoner

Post by Jonatoner »

Hi Michael. I've uploaded section 27. It was a bit of a bear to read but I did learn a lot. Hope it's usable! Now I will decide whether to claim section 28 - the rest of the chapter.

Here's the url: https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_27_128kb.mp3