COMPLETE: Ships That Pass in the Night by Beatrice Harraden -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

A very nice reading! All that is needed is to shorten the opening silence to between 1/2 and 1 second.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Guomin wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:47 pm Part 1, chapter 4 has been uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_04_harraden_128kb.mp3

The length of the recording is 05:47

Sorry for the delay, school work has been mildly overwhelming.
I listened for the sound that Kevin noted. I think we can use the recording as is, but by any chance did you save the file as an mp3 and import it into/export it out of Audacity a lot while you were editing it? I had this kind of sound come up on something I was recording (and editing a lot) a while back. I found out that it was because I was saving it as an mp3, which is a lossy format, so the sound quality was getting degraded whenever I imported it, if I remember correctly.

The WAV format is lossless, so when you're saving a file you've been working on, if you go to File>Export>Export as WAV instead of Export as MP3, that should prevent this for future recordings - if that's the cause of the problem, anyway! (You'll need to export as mp3 for the final version that you upload to LV though.) I hope this is helpful.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I agree that repeated saving, reopening and resaving as mp3 is best avoided; however, this noise in the background sounds to me like noise removal artifacts, from overly aggressive noise removal, possibly amplified by compression and/or normalizing. The volume is also at the top of the range at 92 db and could be reduced to 88-89. It would be helpful to have a raw file with no effects applied.
Jo
Guomin

Post by Guomin »

Scarbo wrote: February 6th, 2021, 2:23 pm
Guomin wrote: January 27th, 2021, 2:47 pm Part 1, chapter 4 has been uploaded:
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_04_harraden_128kb.mp3

The length of the recording is 05:47

Sorry for the delay, school work has been mildly overwhelming.
I listened for the sound that Kevin noted. I think we can use the recording as is, but by any chance did you save the file as an mp3 and import it into/export it out of Audacity a lot while you were editing it? I had this kind of sound come up on something I was recording (and editing a lot) a while back. I found out that it was because I was saving it as an mp3, which is a lossy format, so the sound quality was getting degraded whenever I imported it, if I remember correctly.

The WAV format is lossless, so when you're saving a file you've been working on, if you go to File>Export>Export as WAV instead of Export as MP3, that should prevent this for future recordings - if that's the cause of the problem, anyway! (You'll need to export as mp3 for the final version that you upload to LV though.) I hope this is helpful.
I did edit and save the file multiple times, so that might explain the noise. Thank you for the advice!
Guomin

Post by Guomin »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 6th, 2021, 4:43 pm I agree that repeated saving, reopening and resaving as mp3 is best avoided; however, this noise in the background sounds to me like noise removal artifacts, from overly aggressive noise removal, possibly amplified by compression and/or normalizing. The volume is also at the top of the range at 92 db and could be reduced to 88-89. It would be helpful to have a raw file with no effects applied.
I did try noise removal several times, but was never quite happy with the result. Would you please kindly remind me how much noise reduction is desirable? I can reduce the volume, but I am not sure if I can get a "raw file with no effects applied".
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Guomin wrote: February 8th, 2021, 2:04 pm
knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 6th, 2021, 4:43 pm I agree that repeated saving, reopening and resaving as mp3 is best avoided; however, this noise in the background sounds to me like noise removal artifacts, from overly aggressive noise removal, possibly amplified by compression and/or normalizing. The volume is also at the top of the range at 92 db and could be reduced to 88-89. It would be helpful to have a raw file with no effects applied.
I did try noise removal several times, but was never quite happy with the result. Would you please kindly remind me how much noise reduction is desirable? I can reduce the volume, but I am not sure if I can get a "raw file with no effects applied".
If you wish---and don't feel obligated---you could re-record the section and I will be happy to talk you through the noise reduction effect so that this 'gushing' sound doesn't occur.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Wonderful reading! I'm sorry I delayed in listening. I was waiting for the file name to be corrected, but I can do that if you need assistance.

PL OK with the exception of the file name.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

I can fix the filename since that is all that is needed. That way no one has to reupload the file. :)
Jo
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:43 pm I can fix the filename since that is all that is needed. That way no one has to reupload the file. :)
Thank you!
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Kevin and Jo!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
alily

Post by alily »

thank you Kevin for your feedback

i have removed the duplicate part and cut down the extra long gaps
i also decreased the volume of the disturbances again

here's the new upload right here https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden_128kb.mp3
the duration is now 21m 40s :)
AmyB

Post by AmyB »

KevinS wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:12 pm
A very nice reading! All that is needed is to shorten the opening silence to between 1/2 and 1 second.
Thank you! And I thought at some point that I didn't trim the intro but I didn't remember. Next time I'll double check it! I updated the intro. Here is the "new" link - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_05_harraden_128kb.mp3 (but i think it's the same as the old link?) The recording is now 12:02 long.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

AmyB wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm
KevinS wrote: February 6th, 2021, 1:12 pm
Thank you! And I thought at some point that I didn't trim the intro but I didn't remember. Next time I'll double check it! I updated the intro. Here is the "new" link - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_05_harraden_128kb.mp3 (but i think it's the same as the old link?) The recording is now 12:02 long.
Thank you! PL OK!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

AmyB wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm I updated the intro. Here is the "new" link - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_05_harraden_128kb.mp3 (but i think it's the same as the old link?) The recording is now 12:02 long.
Yes, it is the same file name. Each time you upload something with the same file name, the recording is updated to what is newest. The old recording is saved (at least for a little while) and can be brought forth again by the MC.
AmyB

Post by AmyB »

KevinS wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:47 pm
AmyB wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:11 pm I updated the intro. Here is the "new" link - https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_05_harraden_128kb.mp3 (but i think it's the same as the old link?) The recording is now 12:02 long.
Yes, it is the same file name. Each time you upload something with the same file name, the recording is updated to what is newest. The old recording is saved (at least for a little while) and can be brought forth again by the MC.
Thank you for the explanation. I'm a sucker for a good archive and didn't know if I was deleting history or doing what I ought.