ZOOM Discussion Thread

Comments about LibriVox? Suggestions to improve things? News?
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

The best thing about that lawyer video is the way the cat looked sad and it perfectly matched the guy's tone of voice. "I'm here live, I am not a cat..." still makes me giggle every time!

The judge patiently trying to explain how to remove the filter was cool. Too many judges would throw a fit or even warn him on contempt....

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I don't know if there will be time for this, but could we maybe work in 5-10 min of discussion on the possibility of doing "March to Finish" this year? There are tons of open projects and new ones are having trouble attracting DPLs -- I know I'm full up! Maybe a month of slowing down new projects and pushing some lagging ones over the line would help...

Not sure how much advance warning is needed to do this, or if something is already in the plans, or what's even involved, it may already be a little late to do it if it hasn't been planned, I dunno. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

ColleenMc wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:46 am I don't know if there will be time for this, but could we maybe work in 5-10 min of discussion on the possibility of doing "March to Finish" this year? There are tons of open projects and new ones are having trouble attracting DPLs -- I know I'm full up! Maybe a month of slowing down new projects and pushing some lagging ones over the line would help...

Not sure how much advance warning is needed to do this, or if something is already in the plans, or what's even involved, it may already be a little late to do it if it hasn't been planned, I dunno. Just wanted to throw it out there.

Colleen
This might be better to discuss in the forum, as more people would have the opportunity to chime in, and any proposals/questions/concerns would be here in a permanent form for anyone to refer back to.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

mightyfelix wrote: February 11th, 2021, 10:18 pm This is the play I'll be putting together tomorrow (2/12) at 4:30 pm Central time: https://hdl.handle.net/2027/uc1.c021051126

You'll see a bunch of different techniques I use to make a play/DR sound natural, such as measuring and adjusting volume, using placemarkers (not a technical term), layering multiple voices over each other, and more! (Maybe even changing tempo! :wink: )
Ooo! So excited even though I’ll probably have to catch the recording.
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

mightyfelix wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:56 am
ColleenMc wrote: February 12th, 2021, 8:46 am I don't know if there will be time for this, but could we maybe work in 5-10 min of discussion on the possibility of doing "March to Finish" this year? There are tons of open projects and new ones are having trouble attracting DPLs -- I know I'm full up! Maybe a month of slowing down new projects and pushing some lagging ones over the line would help...

Colleen
This might be better to discuss in the forum, as more people would have the opportunity to chime in, and any proposals/questions/concerns would be here in a permanent form for anyone to refer back to.
Okay!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

loon

Post by loon »

mightyfelix wrote: February 11th, 2021, 10:18 pm You'll see a bunch of different techniques I use to make a play/DR sound natural, such as measuring and adjusting volume, using placemarkers (not a technical term), layering multiple voices over each other, and more! (Maybe even changing tempo! :wink: )
I won't be able to make the live version but will wait eagerly for the recording. You can't ALL be kittens - could some of you be puppies?
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
benderca

Post by benderca »

Is someone going to let us in? I've been waiting for several minutes...
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

Thanks for letting me give a brief introduction to my Adobe Audition workflow for Librivox. Perhaps this weekend, I'll find some time to make a video showing my full workflow.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Thanks, Devorah, Jordan, Phil, and the whole Librivox gang for sharing your insight.
TJ
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

The reason I came so late was that I’m in Pacific time and I incorrectly calculated Central as being just one hour ahead. :roll: The meeting was enjoyable, though, for the few minutes I did manage to be present for :9:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

I am chagrined I missed it tonight.
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

JayKitty76 wrote: February 12th, 2021, 4:59 pm The reason I came so late was that I’m in Pacific time and I incorrectly calculated Central as being just one hour ahead. :roll: The meeting was enjoyable, though, for the few minutes I did manage to be present for :9:
We are happy that you could join us even is you just caught the last part of things. :D
"I lost my trousers," said Tom expansively.
89 Decibels? Easy Peasy ! https://youtu.be/aSKR55RDVpk
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

realisticspeakers wrote: February 12th, 2021, 6:38 pm I am chagrined I missed it tonight.
You are chagrined?? I thought you were Polish. :lol:

EDIT: The video of today's ZOOM meeting is taking an abnormally long time to process by YouTube. It should be available in about two hours.
philchenevert
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by philchenevert »

Here is the video of our ZOOM for 2/12/2021 https://youtu.be/y_j9-l5HgiI

Looking for someone to host the next meeting. Either post here or get with Michele to schedule. :thumbs:
msfry

Post by msfry »

I enjoyed the zoom session today.

Devorah, as to my experience with the lagging audio-to-video today as you played your audio track, I figured out that on Zoom sessions one should not use Bluetooth headphones!!!! There seems to be a transition lag of half-a-second or so. Once I plugged directly into my computer using my earbuds, the lag disappeared. We should let everyone know that if demonstrating an audio track.

As to shortening the height of a single track, you drag the lower black line up, and the bottom or top of the display up or down to shorten the window.

As to shortening the heights of multiple tracks in a single file, you go View/Track Size/Fit to Height. This would work well where you were stacking that group of 4 voices.

Next time you do a presentation, feel free to practice on me first. It helps anyone to make a live run through first to work out the kinks.
-----------------------------
Phil, someone was waiting to be let in but somehow you didn't see that. In future, maybe we should assign someone as co-host to keep an eye on that. It's especially hard to be host and presenter at the same time, or then there's when the host has to leave to attend other things.