aydrogekistky

Post by aydrogekistky »

HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

aydrogekistky wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:59 am And here's Chapter 13 @ 11:58

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_13_macdonald_128kb.mp3
Thank you for these two sections!
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
Blog: Come Be Still
IG: @storytime.with.hannahmary
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

aydrogekistky wrote: February 11th, 2021, 2:59 am And here's Chapter 13 @ 11:58

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_13_macdonald_128kb.mp3
Thank you for these chapters! I enjoyed listening to your reading. There are just a few spots that need to be fixed:

In Chapter 12:
At 6:00 for "If a man has no ambition..." I heard "If a man has no admission..." (only the first syllable needs to change)
At 7:42 I didn't understand the word "hitherto" until I looked it up. Usually for this word the emphasis is on the first syllable, (HITH-er-too) and the "th" is pronounced as a blend, as at the beginning of "that" or "the." (The Cambridge Online Dictionary also has an audio file of the pronunciation: https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/pronunciation/english/hitherto)
In Chapter 13:
3:39 "hitherto" again
4:09 "hitherto" again
5:04 "heather that bloomed lovely around the bare moor"--I heard "the bare moon"
6:52 "that it gave her no annoyance"--the word "her" isn't in the text and it changes the sense of the sentence in a way that puzzled me
11:41 "by living in the presence..." I heard "my living in the presence"

Also, please add about a second and a half to the end of each chapter to bring the ending silence up to the 5-second target.

When you have completed these edits, please upload your file with the same file name and leave a note in the thread.

Thank you for taking time for these, and thank you again for your readings.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

Thank you, Ben White! Always exciting to see a first submission come through for readers.
~ Hannah
"May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him" - Romans 15:13
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

Thank you, Ben White, and welcome! I enjoyed listening to your vivid and expressive reading. There are just a few issues that need to be fixed:

The opening silence should be between 1/2 second and 1 second, and the eneding silence about 5 seconds long, so a little bit of silence needs to come off both ends.

Could you re-record the introduction/Librivox disclaimer to match the form given on page 1 here? (I still often stumble over this.) It should say, "Chapter 11 of The Elect Lady. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org. [Your identifying information] The Elect Lady, by George MacDonald. Chapter 11."

A few small spot edits in the text:

At 1:17, "who has a pursuit..." I heard "who was a pursuit..." Also "pursuit" is repeated at 1:18
At 5:15, "George rejected his father's teaching..." I heard "George objected..."
At 8:52, "limit" is repeated
At 9:03 there is a blurry bit that i couldn't quite make out for "Will you draw another line..."
At 15:35 "But may I not be in like case?" "in" is omitted from the recording

There is also a background buzz which is slightly distracting though it does not keep me from understanding your reading. You might want to try the Noise Reduction feature in Audacity. (Since this makes things slightly quieter and this recording is already on the quiet end, you might also need to use Amplify to bring the volume back up near the target level of 89 decibels.)

When you have completed these edits, please upload your file with the same file name and leave a note in the thread.

Thank you for taking time for these, and thank you again for your reading.
Back from a low-internet no-Librivox year in Georgia. Glad to be with you again.
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

Thank you, I will post again soon. Could you direct me to where I can learn how to test the decibal level in audacity?
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

benjaminpwhite wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 8:40 am Thank you, I will post again soon. Could you direct me to where I can learn how to test the decibal level in audacity?
This might be helpful: https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Audacity_Tutorials
I actually check my volume on Checker (https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/Checker) --for the first month or so of my recording I just looked at the pass/fail part of Checker, but then a helpful person told me that if you click the tab in the middle of the Checker window over from "Validation" to "Information" it gives the actual decibel level.

Thanks again!
benjaminpwhite

Post by benjaminpwhite »

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_11_macdonald_128kb.mp3 17:03

Here is an updated version with the corrections. PS Checker is great.
SarahW

Post by SarahW »

Hello.. I am a newbie and will try the shortest chapter to start, section 26. Thanks so much! I can be called "Sarah W." although mightyfelix is a lot more interesting.
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

SarahW wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 6:00 pm Hello.. I am a newbie and will try the shortest chapter to start, section 26. Thanks so much! I can be called "Sarah W." although mightyfelix is a lot more interesting.
Welcome to LibriVox, Sarah W! Good choice starting with a short chapter to learn all our processes. :clap:

Since this is your first post on the forum, there is one step we need you to do before beginning to record for any projects. But I will place a 2 month hold on your requested section so it should still be waiting for you when you’re all set.

First, we need you to record a “1 Minute Test” for review. As LibriVox explains, “This is NOT an audition, but a way to check to make sure all your technical settings are correct, your volume loud enough, etc. You will find the information for the 1-Minute Test Recording here: http://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

The instructions also tell you how to upload your test and then post in the Listeners and Editors Wanted forum so someone can give you feedback on it.” Once that recording has been approved, you are free to come back here and start recording your section.

Many new readers don't get around to completing this step within 2 months, and then I have to open up their chapters to others again. The sooner you can complete this step, the sooner you will enjoy recording actual chapters!

Just ask of you have any questions along the way.
~ Hannah
JoannaHoyt

Post by JoannaHoyt »

benjaminpwhite wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 4:08 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/electlady_11_macdonald_128kb.mp3 17:03

Here is an updated version with the corrections. PS Checker is great.
Thank you! Chapter 11 is PL OK and quite clear now,and I do enjoy the vividness of your reading. :clap: :clap: :clap:
UnaSalusVictis

Post by UnaSalusVictis »

I'm new to Librivox and waiting to make sure my audio gets approved, but I like the size of section 33: A Great Offering. Can I be penciled in for that section?
HannahMary

Post by HannahMary »

UnaSalusVictis wrote: February 24th, 2021, 5:15 pm I'm new to Librivox and waiting to make sure my audio gets approved, but I like the size of section 33: A Great Offering. Can I be penciled in for that section?
Welcome to LibriVox, UnaSalusVictis! I have reserved section 33 for you. It's a nice length for beginning, and if I remember correctly from the title, it is a very important turning point in the lives of a couple of McDonald's main characters.

Thanks for getting started on the 1-minute-test. Just ask if you have any questions.
~ Hannah