Complete--SOLO Harlem Shadows by Claude McKay-ag

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Harlem Shadows, by Claude McKay (1889 - 1948)
An award winning Jamaican poet who writes passionately about his birth home and his adopted home, USA. Claude McKay vividly describes family life, love, hate, work, and social life. The reader obtains a strong sense of black life through his colorful and emotional poetry.
(Summary by Denise Ray)
• This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/harlem-shadows-by-claude-mckay/

Source text (please read only from this text!): https://archive.org/details/HarlemShadows

Target completion date: 2021-04-12

Prooflistening level: Standard
Prospective PLs, please see the Guide for Proof-listeners.

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the number of languishing projects on our server, we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't recorded anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).

Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process unless you are the BC or PL. Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
========================================

Genres for the project: Poetry/Single author

Keywords that describe the book: harlem renaissance, african american poet

LibriVox recording settings: mono (1 channel), 44100 Hz sample rate, 128 kbps constant bit rate MP3. See the Tech Specs

Intro to recording:
Leave 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning.

For the first section, say:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Harlem Shadows. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information or to volunteer, please visit librivox.org." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Harlem Shadows, by Claude McKay. Section Title."
For the second and subsequent sections, you may use the shortened intro if you wish:
"Section (or Chapter) # of Harlem Shadows, by Claude McKay. This LibriVox recording is in the public domain." [Optional: "Read by your name."] "Section Title."
End of recording:
Say:
"End of section (or chapter) #." [Optional, and if not stated in the intro: "Read by your name, city, date."]
If you are recording the final section of the book, add:
"End of Harlem Shadows, by Claude McKay."
Leave 5 seconds of silence at the end.

Filename: harlemshadows_##_mckay_128kb.mp3 where ## is the section number. (e.g. harlemshadows_01_mckay_128kb.mp3)

Upload to the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader

MC to select: alg1001

Copy and paste the file link generated by the uploader into the relevant Listen URL field in the Section Compiler, enter the duration in the Notes field, and post in this thread to let your PL and MC know that you have uploaded a file. You may also post the file link in the thread.
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adraya2,
I will MC this for you. The magic window is up.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I will move this to Going Solo, Adraya. You can advertise for a proof listener if one doesn't come along.
Thanks,
-Amy
In the mind, or consciousness of the Earth this flower first lay latent as a dream. Perhaps, in her consciousness, it nested as that which in us corresponds to a little thought.--A.Blackwood
CCatharina

Post by CCatharina »

Hello Adraya2,

I have listened to your introduction. You have a very soothing voice that's really pleasant to listen to! I do have some notes. This is my first time proof listening to something, so feel free to tell me if I have been too nitpicky! I also don't know if I'm supposed to put these notes here, but I can't find the right place to put them (if it is not here).

Minor mistakes

00:58 "we find our literature vividly enriched" - stumble at 'literature' and 'vividly'
01:08 "while these poems are characteristic" - stumble at 'characteristic'
01:38 "the sculptures and wood and ivory carvings" - stumble at 'ivory'
01:48 "tranquil in the possession of" - stumble at 'possession'
06:28 "a delicate syllabic music" - stress on the wrong syllable (SYL-la-bic should be syl-LA-bic)
08:18 "consideration of fact and good logic" - stumble at 'logic'
11:03 "thinking continually less" - stumble at 'continually'

Misheard words

02:57 "in the midst of their present" and 03:11 "ring out in the midst of his North" - I hear 'mist' instead of 'midst'

03:37 "we can only distantly remember" - I hear 'distinctly' instead of 'distantly'

08:32 "a dominant and subjected race", 08:42 "The children of the subjected race", and 09:11 "to be born into a subjected race" - I hear 'subjective' instead of 'subjected'

09:00 "a pervading intimation" - I hear 'prevading' instead of 'pervading'

12:12 "occasional lapses of quality" - I hear 'lapse' instead of 'lapses'

I feel really mean for pointing out all these small details but I myself always appreciate getting too much feedback instead of too little. Hopefully, I haven't been too strict! If I was, please let me know! I'm still getting the hang of the PL levels. I'm afraid my PL went more towards word perfect PL than standard PL...

Even with these tiny mistakes, it was still a very enjoyable listening experience. I may keep an eye on this project to proof listen other sections, if you'll have me, that is.

Kind regards,
Catharina
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

I'll move you to Going Solo now.
Thanks,
-Amy
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Thanks,
-Amy
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Cathrina
Thanks for listening to the introduction of Harlem Shadows. I have made the necessary revisions to it.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/harlemshadows_00_mckay_128kb.mp3 Duration 13.56
I am interested in having you as a DPL or PL.
Please let me know if you are still interested in being a proof listener for this project.

Thanks,
Denise
CCatharina

Post by CCatharina »

Hello Denise,

The introduction is PL okay! For the Author's note, you forgot one word in the disclaimer "All Librivox recordings are in the public domain". Maybe that's just me being pedantic again, but I think Librivox is quite strict with its disclaimers so you may need to correct that. Apart from that, I found no mistakes at all. I really liked this reading and I'm looking forward to listening to some of the poems.

Kind regards,
Catharina
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Catrina
Thanks for your response to my revised introduction. Please go to the first posting and find the "magic window. " It contains the table of sections with information on the text and the recording. You can use the links to proof listen the files. You can write any notes or corrections there as well. If there are some of the poems you do not want to listen to and I hope you do want to listen to them, please let me know.
Please let me know if you have any further questions.\
Adraya2
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello, Denise and Catharina,

If you need help PLing some of the poems, please just let me know which ones.

Kind regards,

Jasna
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Catharina and Dulcamara and Lomond
I am glad to have your interest in PLing Harlem Shadows. Lomond has agreed to be DPL of this project and if he needs PL help with some of the poems, I do hope he will send requests. There are plenty of poems in this project.
Thanks,😊
Adraya2
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi,
Lomond is added as DPL now. He will have access to the magic window.
Have a great day!
-Amy
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

:thumbs:

That's great news. Have fun! :D
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Adraya2

Post by Adraya2 »

Hi Alg1001
Thanks for your support with Harlem Shadows. Do I need to do something else with the Listeners wanted? I noticed that Harlem Shadows still has a lock on it and was wondering how Lomond will be able to listening to the poems with the lock?
Thanks
Adraya2
alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by alg1001 »

Hi Adraya2,
The listener advertisement is gone now. Lomond should be able to get into the Magic Window.
Thanks!
-Amy