COMPLETE: Rosemary and Pansies by Effie Waller Smith-jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Rosemary and Pansies by Effie Waller Smith (1879 - 1960).

This project is now complete.  All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/rosemary-and-pansies-by-effie-waller-smith/

Effie Waller Smith was recognized as a promising young black poet. Her poems reflect her love of nature and her experience as black woman in Appalachia. Although she only published three volumes of poetry during her lifetime, the poems are a relevant today as when first published. Perhaps she is best described in this poem by Peter Clay: To Effie Waller. Far upon among the mountains, Where rivers leave their fountains, and happy birds send forth their merry thrills; There dwells a little poet, Though few there be who know it, Whose voice is an echo from the hills. ( AnnaLisa Bodtker)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63790
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin

Genres for the project: Poetry

Keywords that describe the book: poetry, christian, poems, feminism, african american, Kentucky, appalachia, cumberland

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of the first file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Poem [number] of Rosemary and Pansies. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city]"
    • Say:
      "Rosemary and Pansies, by Effie Waller Smith. [Poem Title]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Poem [number] of Rosemary and Pansies by Effie Waller Smith. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
      "[Poem Title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish and you haven't already included it in the intro, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Rosemary and Pansies, by Effie Waller Smith. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename rosemaryandpansies_##_smith_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. rosemaryandpansies_01_smith_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Now everyone, big or little, has a story.
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

I would like to learn how to MC this project if possible.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Hi Annalisa,

You need an admin to MC for you. :) I'll get this set up for you. MW will be available shortly.
Jo
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Thanks Jo! I think being an admin is above my pay scale :) so I will stick to being a BC and soloist!
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Hi Jo!
Lomond has agreed to PL this project. If you will add him on we are ready to go.
Thanks!
AnnaLisa
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

All set!
Jo
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

What a great collection of poems, many with a feeling of gentle optimism.

I wonder why Effie stopped writing at age 38 even though she lived to be 80.

Chapters 1-8 are, as usual, perfectly PL OK.

Chapter 9 has one aberration that needs attention.

TIME: 00:38 TEXT: "And Jealousy’s green lights unfold" Reading has "tints" instead of "lights".

Will PL the rest of them later.

Lomond
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Chapters 10-15:

Chapters 10-13 and 15 are just fine and PL OK.

Chapter 14:

TIME: 01:31 TEXT: "Our steps still homeward tend," Reading has "trend" instead of "tend".

Enjoying this effort very much. Did you pick it to do now because it is Black History Month?

Lomond
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Absolutely nothing wrong with any of this last set of poems. All definitely PL OK.

A simply beautiful book of poetry, each written from the heart.

Lomond
Annalisa56

Post by Annalisa56 »

Hi Jo!

Obviously I cannot count correctly since there are only 35 poems and not 36, so the MW needs to have a line deleted.

Also upon re-reading the introduction I realized two things I left an "s" off a word and I should have put quote marks around the poem. So here is the intro again:

Effie Waller Smith was recognized as a promising young black poet. Her poems reflect her love and nature, her faith, and her experience as a black woman in Appalachia. Although she only published three volumes of poetry during her lifetime, the poems are as relevant today as when first published. Perhaps she is best described in this poem by Peter Clay: "To Effie Waller. Far upon among the mountains, Where rivers leave their fountains, And happy birds send forth their merry thrills, There dwells a little poet, Though few there be who know it, Whose voice is an echo from the hills." (AnnaLisa Bodtker)

Many thanks for all your help.
AnnaLisa
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Not a problem. :) All set.
Jo
lomond

Post by lomond »

Greetings -

Sorry for the delay getting to the last of these. Every once in a while, life gets in the way of important things like PLing.

No problems with any of them; all definitely PL OK.

If I had to pick a favorite, I think I would go with "The Shepherds' Vision".

What's next, AnnaLisa?

Lomond