Need help with static when recording pretty please

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
ricksvoices

Post by ricksvoices »

Hello!

My name is Rick and I joined last night. I'm trying to record my 1 min test but had to stop since I'm picking up static in my recording. This happened to me yesterday and I fixed it somehow. I thought it was a button I pressed on my Mbox 2 but that's not doing it this time. After doing a little query online, I was told to restart my computer but that sadly didn't fix it. This problem is HUGE since it's stopping me from being able to record ANYTHING without hearing the static. I've exported an mp3 of this problem but don't see a way to attach it to this question. I typed "technical help" in the search bar but didn't find what I was looking for. Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time & help in advance!
Rick :help:
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

The 1-minute test instructions give direction on how to upload a file. When it's uploaded, you can copy/paste the link into a post. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
ricksvoices

Post by ricksvoices »

Ok somehow, I don't have this problem at the moment Thank you GOD! (God protects the dumb lol)
ricksvoices

Post by ricksvoices »

Well...I was able to record a raw file without the static...but as I was editing, I decided to make it easier on myself and re-record. I still have the orig file saved,
but the STATIC IS BACK ugh!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I don't know very much, but it seems to me that every piece of equipment and wiring you put between you and your recording program adds more and more potential for interference. Is the Mbox 2 powered separately. That is another potential source of interference. Do you have by chance a different mic with a simple USB interface?

(Haha! I sound like I know what I'm talking about.)
ricksvoices

Post by ricksvoices »

Thanks Kevin!

Well, my Mbox 2 is actually connected via USB directly to my laptop. It comes and goes for no apparent reason. I was able to record the test without the static so that's good, and I did go ahead and purchase a replacement to the Mbox 2 which should be arriving today or tomorrow. I went for the the Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface (Gen 3), so hopefully that will solve my problem!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

P.S. I'm using a USB mic as well (an MXL 990). I had bought all of that equipment about 15 years ago! Too bad I didn't get into this seriously back then! But, everything happens for a reason I guess.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Does your laptop run on battery or is it connected to the mains power. I don't know what kind of static you are talking about, but since electricity can create sound interference, it's worth recording if possible away from other running appliances, like a fridge that starts and stops.
Your new purchase sounds good :D
JordanN

Post by JordanN »

ricksvoices wrote: February 1st, 2021, 10:59 pm Thanks Kevin!

Well, my Mbox 2 is actually connected via USB directly to my laptop. It comes and goes for no apparent reason. I was able to record the test without the static so that's good, and I did go ahead and purchase a replacement to the Mbox 2 which should be arriving today or tomorrow. I went for the the Focusrite Scarlett Solo USB Audio Interface (Gen 3), so hopefully that will solve my problem!

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated!

P.S. I'm using a USB mic as well (an MXL 990). I had bought all of that equipment about 15 years ago! Too bad I didn't get into this seriously back then! But, everything happens for a reason I guess.
Laptops don’t actually put out enough power on USB to reliably drive audio interfaces.

If the mbox has an external power input, use it.

Otherwise, get a powered USB hub and put it between the laptop and interface.
ricksvoices

Post by ricksvoices »

I don’t think it does. Hopefully the scarlet interface I’m getting has one.

Thanks man!