COMPLETE [DUET/COLLECTION] The Shorter Works of Tertullian Volume 1-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:28 pm Repentance is ready for PL.

You'll notice a change in tune from this work to his work on "On Modesty." I'm not quite sure what got into him. He went from believing that it's irrational to think that you should ever sin again after becoming a Christian *but* if you do sin again there perhaps remains some hope for salvation; to believing that if you ever do something evil after becoming a Christian, that you're damned to hell forever.

Appreciate the PL from other people. The final works I have are quite short besides Prescription against Heretics. I should be done soon.

Enjoy.
Have you ever said the word exomologesis so many times in your whole life?! From On Fasting, I assumed it meant 'eating only dry food as penance' but it seems to not specify any particular act.

Section 12 PL Notes:
Asterisk as usual means check whether this was the pronunciation you intended. You are free to keep them as they are.

04:08 Harbringer for harbinger
11:56 Check whether you really mean consciousness and not conscience (I haven't checked the text)
13:09 *felicity
42:53 *personage

Interesting that he seems to use the same parables (lost sheep, lost coin) in exactly the opposite way to On Modesty. He seems to think repentance is a work so I can see how the seeds of On Modesty are latent here. But certainly better than his later tendencies!
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: December 29th, 2020, 6:43 pm
dronald wrote: December 27th, 2020, 10:28 pm Repentance is ready for PL.

You'll notice a change in tune from this work to his work on "On Modesty." I'm not quite sure what got into him. He went from believing that it's irrational to think that you should ever sin again after becoming a Christian *but* if you do sin again there perhaps remains some hope for salvation; to believing that if you ever do something evil after becoming a Christian, that you're damned to hell forever.

Appreciate the PL from other people. The final works I have are quite short besides Prescription against Heretics. I should be done soon.

Enjoy.
Have you ever said the word exomologesis so many times in your whole life?! From On Fasting, I assumed it meant 'eating only dry food as penance' but it seems to not specify any particular act.

Section 12 PL Notes:
Asterisk as usual means check whether this was the pronunciation you intended. You are free to keep them as they are.

04:08 Harbringer for harbinger
11:56 Check whether you really mean consciousness and not conscience (I haven't checked the text)
13:09 *felicity
42:53 *personage

Interesting that he seems to use the same parables (lost sheep, lost coin) in exactly the opposite way to On Modesty. He seems to think repentance is a work so I can see how the seeds of On Modesty are latent here. But certainly better than his later tendencies!
Ready for spot PL!

The word was indeed "consciousness". :thumbs:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:40 pm Ready for spot PL!

PL Ok! (Nice edit :))

Do you wanna keep going or shall we drop the extra sections and get this catalogued? Totally up to you.
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:12 am
dronald wrote: January 5th, 2021, 9:40 pm Ready for spot PL!

PL Ok! (Nice edit :))

Do you wanna keep going or shall we drop the extra sections and get this catalogued? Totally up to you.
My plan is to finish my last section on the Augustine psalms, then take care of that one sermon by Calvin that you set up. After that I will knock down these last four sections here. Does that work for you?
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Fine by me. As long as you're not giving him airtime that you don't think he deserves.

If On Modesty (and On Repentance) affected you as much as it did me, then I recently recorded something by Pacian who is an interesting third voice into the whole business. He has clearly read Tertullian and is responding to him and to his own circumstances (the Novatian controversy). https://librivox.org/the-extant-works-of-st-pacian-of-barcelona/
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:30 am Fine by me. As long as you're not giving him airtime that you don't think he deserves.

If On Modesty (and On Repentance) affected you as much as it did me, then I recently recorded something by Pacian who is an interesting third voice into the whole business. He has clearly read Tertullian and is responding to him and to his own circumstances (the Novatian controversy). https://librivox.org/the-extant-works-of-st-pacian-of-barcelona/
Thanks!

The Soul's Testimony is ready for PL :)
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: January 18th, 2021, 8:21 pm
InTheDesert wrote: January 11th, 2021, 6:30 am Fine by me. As long as you're not giving him airtime that you don't think he deserves.

Thanks!

The Soul's Testimony is ready for PL :)
An interesting argument, as ever, from Tully.

PL Notes:
11:01 "deserts" - you pronounced it like the sandy place whereas he means the thing deserved which I would pronounce like "desserts". You are free to tell me that your part of the world doesn't make that distinction!
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:28 pm Section 8 PL OK
Thanks!

Against All Heresies is ready for PL :thumbs:
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: January 26th, 2021, 7:08 pm
InTheDesert wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:28 pm Section 8 PL OK
Thanks!

Against All Heresies is ready for PL :thumbs:
PL OK!
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: January 25th, 2021, 7:28 pm PL OK!
Thanks!
Prescription Against Heretics Part 1 is up!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: January 27th, 2021, 9:39 pm Prescription Against Heretics Part 1 is up!
So we finally got the source of "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?"! Not easy reading at all (not least this translation). I found it interesting that he defined the rule of faith. As ever, he's a very interesting writer.

* As usual, an asterisk is option, depending on your pronunciation.

PL Notes (Prescription Against Heretics Part 1):
* ~8:36. 8:53. 9:40x2 "schisms" (shizms vs scizzums)
* ~39:46 "viva voce" (I've always heard this as "vivva vochay" but google disagrees)
31:24 "preamble"
~42:31 This one is entertaining but probably not your intention
dronald

Post by dronald »

InTheDesert wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:03 am
So we finally got the source of "What has Athens to do with Jerusalem?"! Not easy reading at all (not least this translation). I found it interesting that he defined the rule of faith. As ever, he's a very interesting writer.
I'm such a nerd. I had to make sure I didn't change my voice too much with the excitement of knowing that I was reading such a famous saying. I think I did Tertullian justice here by giving it the right amount of emphasis to such a great passage, but keeping in mind that he certainly didn't know how famous that line would be.

I also considered pumping my fist and shouting it out instead.
InTheDesert wrote: January 28th, 2021, 5:03 am ~42:31 This one is entertaining but probably not your intention
Hahaha!

I was wondering when I would make this mistake; I knew it would be only a matter of time. I'm sure I'm not the first!

Anyways. I fixed the other error and left the rest. Ready for Spot PL!
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

dronald wrote: January 28th, 2021, 8:01 pm Ready for Spot PL!
PL OK!
dronald

Post by dronald »

Part 2 is up!

It's been a pleasure.