COMPLETE [GROUP - Short Stories] Myths and Legends Around the World (in English) Collection 7-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JessiW wrote: January 26th, 2021, 10:11 am Good morning! If it hasn't been taken, I would like to read the Stores of King Arthur. Here is the link: https://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/6323/pg6323.html

Thank you!

Jessica
Hello, Jessica! Welcome to LibriVox!

It will be very nice to have some King Arthur contribution here!

I just pulled that division of the book, and it has over 18,000 words. (The whole book must be huge in real life!)

That word count won't fit in one recording. To give you a reference point, 3000 words will run approximately 20 minutes.

So, the entire King Arthur division would require probably 3 sections, since our file capacity caps out right around an hour and 12 minutes.

I would suggest choosing one to three of the Arthurian tales to do in a given section here, depending on how long they each are. (You can keep recording Arthurian tales in that way, and turn in two sections for each collection.)

For example, if you went with the first two stories, you might introduce them as, "Of Arthur's Birth and How He Became King," (short pause) "And ... The Roundtable ... from The Junior Classics Volume Four: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, edited by William Patten." (along with the rest of the LibriVox disclaimer regarding public domain)

Let me know what you want to do, and I'll make a note on the source sheet so folks are aware they're being worked on.

Glad to have you!
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Hi, read 2 and 3 please.
Signature: KATHLEEN
JessiW

Post by JessiW »

Hello! It seems that the first has been taken, so I'll do 2 and 3. Do you want me to still record it as you have stated "the Round table," (short pause) "And ... Merlin the Magician ... from The Junior Classics Volume Four: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, edited by William Patten." (along with the rest of the LibriVox disclaimer regarding public domain)

Just want to be sure I understand correctly!

Thank you for your time!
~Jessica West

"Paths do not only go one way. We choose which direction to take. I refuse to believe that any outside forces can determine the course of my life." - from Illusions of Fate by Kiersten White
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JessiW wrote: January 26th, 2021, 6:37 pm Hello! It seems that the first has been taken, so I'll do 2 and 3. Do you want me to still record it as you have stated "the Round table," (short pause) "And ... Merlin the Magician ... from The Junior Classics Volume Four: Heroes and Heroines of Chivalry, edited by William Patten." (along with the rest of the LibriVox disclaimer regarding public domain)

Just want to be sure I understand correctly!

Thank you for your time!
That will be perfect :)
~Lynette * -
Fancy some fun character recording? Small parts needed in these dramatic novels: Clouds of Witness | Ivanhoe (DR)
Shobba1008

Post by Shobba1008 »

Shobba1008 wrote: January 24th, 2021, 5:37 am
LCaulkins wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 8:39 am
Shobba1008 wrote: January 23rd, 2021, 7:15 am Hello,

I would like to volunteer to read some short stories. Specifically the indian fairy tales. have they been assigned already or are the open for anyone to record. Please do let me know so I may pick a story to record. Thank you

Shobha
Hello, and welcome to LibriVox!

We would love to have your contributions in this ongoing project. :) I highly recommend waiting until one of the helpful folks at the Listeners & Editors Wanted board reviews and OK's your 1-minute submission before doing a story recording. If they haven't already reviewed yours, they should soon.

Collections are a little different from "normal" audiobook projects in that we don't pre-assign sections to readers. We load files as they come in, assuming they are appropriate. They must be Public Domain stories, and they need to fit our overall subject. So, we wouldn't include a chapter from a biography, for example.
In each Collection, you may submit up to 2 recordings. You are absolutely welcome to submit 2 more when the next collection opens!

Readers sometimes tell me which story they're working on when they start to record it, and I'll make a note of it on the Potential Sources list that is linked in the main post just above the Magic Window. That way, people looking through the list know if somebody is already doing something they might consider. If you find a Public Domain source that is not on that list, you are very welcome to use it. Just remember to paste in the link to the source whenever you're posting about a story in the discussion.

I look forward to hearing from you in our collection!
Hello,
Thank you so much for your prompt reply and the clear instructions.
yes i have just received feedback on my i minute submission - overall ok, certain tech specs have to corrected and i have to do some noise cleanup. Will make the necessary corrections and repost soon.
Once i get the green signal. I will let you know which story i plan to read and we can move forward from there.
excited.....
Shobha
Hello,
I have just received the go-ahead from the folks at the listeners and editors and couldn't wait to get started :)
I would like to start by reading this short story - How the wicked sons were duped - from Indian fairy tales (Joseph Jacob).
If it is not already taken, I would like to volunteer to read. Let me know
Thank you
Shobha
genep

Post by genep »

Hello, another newbie here learning my way around. I'm considering recording some Cherokee legends from Mooney's book in Gutenberg. I have 2 questions, for now:

1. Mooney tells the legends embedded within exp!anation. Do I record it all, or dig down to legend and record only that?

2. Any suggestions for source of pronounciation guides for Cherokee language?

Thanks
JGatling

Post by JGatling »

Hi I'd like to submit this recording to the project please.

Title - How the Cobbler Cheated the Devil
Author - Charles John Tibbitts

Source - https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/47408

Recording - https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw007_cobblercheateddevil_tibbitts_jg_128k.mp3

05:10

First recording:
Name - Jay Gatling
Link - https://www.facebook.com/jaygatlingvoiceover
The Nobelest Art is to make others happy - PT Barnum
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

2839reader wrote: January 26th, 2021, 2:45 pm Hi, read 2 and 3 please.
Hi, Kathleen :)

Unlike "normal" LibriVox group projects, here in the collections we don't reserve sections. If you know that a source you want to read a story from is public domain, just go ahead and make the recording in accordance with the instructions on this project's main post.

Feel free to post a link to your source if you want to either make sure it's public domain, or you'd like me to make a note on the potential source list that you're working on something. :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Shobba1008 wrote: January 27th, 2021, 4:57 am
Hello,
I have just received the go-ahead from the folks at the listeners and editors and couldn't wait to get started :)
I would like to start by reading this short story - How the wicked sons were duped - from Indian fairy tales (Joseph Jacob).
If it is not already taken, I would like to volunteer to read. Let me know
Thank you
Shobha
Hi, Shobha! Go right ahead :)
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

genep wrote: January 27th, 2021, 6:12 am Hello, another newbie here learning my way around. I'm considering recording some Cherokee legends from Mooney's book in Gutenberg. I have 2 questions, for now:

1. Mooney tells the legends embedded within exp!anation. Do I record it all, or dig down to legend and record only that?

2. Any suggestions for source of pronounciation guides for Cherokee language?

Thanks
Hi! Welcome to LibriVox and to our Myths and Legends collections.

To your first question, you can do the reading either way you want. Sometimes the expository information is interesting, so if you like it, go ahead and include it. Most of the stories recorded for the collection are purely story form, so if you want it to simply fit in, you may read only the story itself.

(To let you know, that is the policy regarding footnotes when recording regular books for LibriVox - the reading of the footnotes, as well as forewords, introductions, appendices, is at the discretion of the reader and the BC for the given project.)

Perhaps this page will be helpful for Cherokee Pronunciation Guide.

Figure it out the best you can, and then speak what you decide to use with confidence. Even if it's incorrect, it will sound better with a normal speaking cadence than with a hesitation. :)

Glad to have you with us!
~Lynette * -
LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

JGatling wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:12 am Hi I'd like to submit this recording to the project please.

Recording - https://librivox.org/uploads/maryannspiegel/mlaw007_cobblercheateddevil_tibbitts_jg_128k.mp3

First recording:
Name - Jay Gatling
Hello, Jay! Welcome to LibriVox!

Your recording is most excellent and is PL OK :thumbs:

(Thank you very much for including all of the information we needed for the Magic Window, as well as for your reader page.)

Here is your personal Reader Page: Jay Gatling.

You'll see that it lists all the projects you are a part of, both complete and in-progress. It also has a link to the lists of all the sections that are assigned to you for recording and/or prooflistening. Very handy.

You may also see that I got ahead of myself and didn't get your URL set in for you. :oops: I've already asked our MC, MaryAnn, if she can fix that. I do apologize.
~Lynette * -
JGatling

Post by JGatling »

LCaulkins wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:57 am
JGatling wrote: January 27th, 2021, 8:12 am Hi I'd like to submit this recording to the project please.

First recording:
Name - Jay Gatling
Hello, Jay! Welcome to LibriVox!

Your recording is most excellent and is PL OK :thumbs:

(Thank you very much for including all of the information we needed for the Magic Window, as well as for your reader page.)

Here is your personal Reader Page: Jay Gatling.

You'll see that it lists all the projects you are a part of, both complete and in-progress. It also has a link to the lists of all the sections that are assigned to you for recording and/or prooflistening. Very handy.

You may also see that I got ahead of myself and didn't get your URL set in for you. :oops: I've already asked our MC, MaryAnn, if she can fix that. I do apologize.
Hi Lynette,

Thanks very much.

No worries with the URL, can see it's already sorted. :)
The Nobelest Art is to make others happy - PT Barnum
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

LCaulkins

Post by LCaulkins »

Thanks for checking, Kathleen - Yes, Yeats is public domain :)

I noticed the selections in this book look quite short. If you only want to do one story, that is absolutely fine. You may also group two or three together if you'd like. You could introduce it something like, "Three selections from The Celtic Twilight, by William Butler Yeats (with the rest of the LibriVox public domain disclaimer)." Pause a bit, and announce the first title, read that story, pause a bit (like 1.5 seconds), announce the next title. . . etc.

This book is also listed at Project Gutenberg: The Celtic Twilight. I'm going to use that link for the Potential Source sheet, since sometimes people have difficulty opening Google Books.
~Lynette * -
2839reader

Post by 2839reader »

Yes I'll do three sections. So would that be section 3 and then do the three in that?