COMPLETE: [GERMAN] Der Schimmelreiter von T. Storm - OL/ge

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
HerrSchildkroete

Post by HerrSchildkroete »

This project is complete and is now available on the LibriVox catalogue: http://librivox.org/der-schimmelreiter-by-theodor-storm.

Hi all,

since I've had fun doing the last book I have started another (very famous) one.

Der Schimmelreiter ( http://de.wikisource.org/wiki/Der_Schimmelreiter )
von Theodor Storm
English title: The Dykemaster

There even are english fansites: http://www.theodorstorm.co.uk/

I am right now halfway through the 150 pages of that novel and hope to have it finished by mid-march.

Synopsis:
One of the most famous german novels, "Der Schimmelreiter" skillfully tells the story of Hauke Haien who rises from being a farmers son to the post of the Dykemaster in his hometown. He is, however, confronted with hatred and superstition, which in turn drives him into a very egocentric man who finds his death in spring flood along with his family. From that day on, whenever there is a spring flood, he roams as a ghost on his mildew and thus indicates the breach of a dyke.
The novel is organized in three narrative threads, the original author who relates a story he read in the newspaper. That newspaper article in turn is told by a traveller who visited Hauke Haiens hometown during a surge. He stays at the inn in this place where he is related the tale by the old schoolmaster, who himself never had known Hauke...
So the synopsis is written by myself, however I hope to overhaul it before I have finished that book.

Read you all, Felix
Jabber ID: smurflord@jabber.org
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh this is brilliant, Felix! I only know the poem... must record that poem, love it... you know, "Wer reitet da durch Nacht und Wind / Es ist der Erlenkoenig mit seinem Kind..." Ooops. That's the Erlenkoenig. Or is it Erlkoenig? What is an Erl anyway, when it's at home? - I'm going mad... as penance I shall record it for Rainer's Lyriksammlung... :)

I'll meta-coordinate this, so everything as last time! This is such good timing - I have just moved our two OL solo projects to Completed and had put in a placeholder "All recent projects have been completed" but now I can add yours! :)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Ah. I know why. My confused mind read 'Storm' (author's name) and 'Reiter' and immediately associated the storms from the Erlkoenig poem. Or something like that. ;)
"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

OK, it's on the catalogue in the To Come: Solo Projects: Other Languages section.

Felix, thanks for the summary. Would you write one in German, too? For the catalogue we'll use the one in German.
raynr

Post by raynr »

This time you are going to tell us about your solo project - at least half way through :D

I read (or better: should have read) this book in school but I can't remember anything. If you are forced to read certain books at school you don't like it. Later, when you read them willingly, you discover them to be very good. I always thought about reading it again, but now I can look forward to hear your audiobook.
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
HerrSchildkroete

Well, that's what happens when I get carried away. I care more about the book than about writing in the forum. Nasty me :-).

Gesine, I will have a german synopsis ready by the time I completely finish the novel. Just waiting for the proverbial rainy sunday :-).
HerrSchildkroete

Now here is a german summary:
Der Schimmelreiter - Theodor Storm

In einer Nordseegemeinde taucht vor drohenden Sturmfluten und Deichbr?chen eine gespenstische Gestalt auf dem Deich auf. Der Geist reitet auf seinem Schimmel lautlos in die Fluten um dort unterzugehen. Das gesamte Dorf kennt dieses Zeichen seit ?ber hundert Jahren. Der Erz?hler aber nimmt die Gestalt w?hrend eines Sturmes wahr, ohne je davor von ihr geh?rt zu haben.

Da der Sturm zunimmt, sucht er Zuflucht in dem Gasthaus des Dorfes. Dort berichtet ihm der Schulmeister das Schicksal Hauke Haiens, des einstigen Deichgrafen, den sein hartes Schicksal zum "Schimmelreiter" machte. Immer wieder unterbrochen von den Geschehnissen in der Wirtsstube vermischt der Lehrer Fakten und Sage und zeigt so, wie die Legende entstand.
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Cool, klasse Zusammenfassung, danke! Habe heute Geburtstag und daher diese Woche nicht viel Zeit (meine Geburtstage dauern immer eine Woche an ;)), aber werde in den naechsten Tagen den Rest hoeren!
HerrSchildkroete

Oh - Herzlichen Gl?ckwunsch :-)
Genie? ihn. Ich will auch eine Woche Geburtstag haben!!!
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Oh - Herzlichen Gl?ckwunsch Smile
Genie? ihn. Ich will auch eine Woche Geburtstag haben!!!
Kein Problem. Du musst es einfach ansagen. So wie ich zu Brian, vor zwei Jahren: "I think my birthday should last for the whole week" :) Wir feiern allerdings kaum etwas anderes - kein Weihnachten, Silvester, etc, so dass man die Geburtstage ruhig etwas langziehen kann ;)
Gesine

Post by Gesine »

Hi Felix

Die restlichen Teile sind auch ok (habe den Thread in Listeners Wanted geloescht). Spannende Geschichte! Danke, dass Du das aufgenommen hast. Machst Du noch eins? Moeglichst noch eins, dass ich nicht kenne... :)

Bin jetzt am Katalogisieren.
HerrSchildkroete

Das ging ja doch noch schnell :-)
Jetzt mache ich erstmal Winnetou und vielleicht noch ein paar M?rchen. Dann werde ich weitersehen. Ich habe noch ein paar Ideen - aber mal sehen wie meine Freizeit sich so f?hrt *g*