[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 02, The Reformation - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Murphy8104 wrote: January 16th, 2021, 2:17 pm I have uploaded Section 69 for review.........That's Chapter 18 Part 3.
Just one small fix is needed here: please shorten the silence at the start to less than 1 second (currently >2).

I'm also occasionally hearing the kind of noise that occurs when a burst of air from one's breath hits the mic directly. It's mostly happening here with "ch" sounds, and less frequently "f" and others. It's not loud or frequent enough to ask for changes, but please watch out for it in the future. We wouldn't want it to distract the listener from your excellent readings. This problem can be addressed by shifting the mic a little bit to the side. I don't recall hearing this type of noise in your earlier recordings, and here it happens mainly during the first few minutes, and then a bit towards the end. Hopefully, it's just a matter of minor adjustment in your setup.

Michael
fluffypinka

Post by fluffypinka »

I have recorded section 30~ here is the link:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_30_128kb.mp3

file length is 21m 56s.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

fluffypinka wrote: January 17th, 2021, 10:44 pm I have recorded section 30~ here is the link:

file length is 21m 56s.
Thank you! I will listen soon.

Michael
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

Hi Michael:
I made the fix to the leading seconds at start, and believe I addressed the “echo” of the Ch….sounds throughout. There’s a lot of Church and Charles in there!

Please let me know if this sounds better.

New Db: 90.7
Length: 33.59

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_69_128kb.mp3

Thanks.

Lisa
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Murphy8104 wrote: January 18th, 2021, 6:58 am Hi Michael:
I made the fix to the leading seconds at start, and believe I addressed the “echo” of the Ch….sounds throughout. There’s a lot of Church and Charles in there!
Thanks, Lisa! Just to clarify for spot PL purposes: you haven't re-recorded any passages, you've just applied some effect to the reading I've already listened to?

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

fluffypinka wrote: January 17th, 2021, 10:44 pm I have recorded section 30~ here is the link:

file length is 21m 56s.
(1:34) p. 280 I hear "immortality" instead of "immorality"
(1:45) I hear "Franchisians" instead of "Franciscans" (fran-SIS-kens)
(1:57) immortality/immorality
(1:59) Franciscans
(4:29) p. 281 editing glitch before "of five sees"
(12:22) p. 284 I hear "steady assent" instead of "ready assent"
(15:04) p. 285 I hear "accused" instead of "accursed"
Please shorten the final silence to ~5 seconds (currently >7)

Also, a couple of pronunciation suggestions for the future:
- the French letter ç is pronounced "s", as in façade.
- "shew" is an old spelling of "show", pronounced the same

Thanks,
Michael
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

Hi Michael
For the first 12 minutes, and last 2-3 minutes I manually cleared audible breath sounds with the silence tool. In all instances of Charles and Church I could ID the rasp, I really-recorded that sentence fragment and pasted back in. Perhaps tiny re-records of 14-15 segments, but nothing like re-reading an entire paragraph. I was surprised resulting time was much the same though. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Hasnu

Post by Hasnu »

Hi Michael,

This would be my first ever time recording. I would like to record sections 9 and 10 if that's possible. If not, then 1 section of whatever is available :). For recording, I am going to use Audacity and I will do my best to have a quality recording and upload it here in about a month (still getting used to this :)). If I could have sections 9 and 10 that would be great, thanks. For a pseudonym, would it be possible for me to be credited here as H. Shah ?? If not, then just credit me by my username, Hasnu.

Thanks,
Hasnu
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Murphy8104 wrote: January 19th, 2021, 5:02 am Hi Michael
For the first 12 minutes, and last 2-3 minutes I manually cleared audible breath sounds with the silence tool. In all instances of Charles and Church I could ID the rasp, I really-recorded that sentence fragment and pasted back in. Perhaps tiny re-records of 14-15 segments, but nothing like re-reading an entire paragraph. I was surprised resulting time was much the same though. Hope this helps.
Lisa
Thanks for doing that work, Lisa! Would you be able to tell me approximately, which parts of the recording you've changed? We're supposed to PL any local changes, so, if I don't know which parts were change, I'd have to PL to the whole thing again. It's not the end of the world, but, for the future, we ask readers to include timestamps for any local changes that were not listed in the PL notes. :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Hasnu wrote: January 19th, 2021, 5:55 am Hi Michael,

This would be my first ever time recording. I would like to record sections 9 and 10 if that's possible. If not, then 1 section of whatever is available :). For recording, I am going to use Audacity and I will do my best to have a quality recording and upload it here in about a month (still getting used to this :)). If I could have sections 9 and 10 that would be great, thanks. For a pseudonym, would it be possible for me to be credited here as H. Shah ?? If not, then just credit me by my username, Hasnu.

Thanks,
Hasnu
Hi Hasnu and welcome to LibriVox! All these things are very much possible. :)

Before you start to record these, please complete a 1-Minute Test. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software and hardware is set up in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust your setup without having to redo a longer recording. The instructions can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

If you post a notification about your test in this thread, I can check it for you. In the meantime, I'll pencil in your claim in the Notes column.

Thanks,
Michael
Murphy8104

Post by Murphy8104 »

My apologies Michael - I did not want to make more work for you. Times shown below are where I cleaned up the CHarles and CHurch shhh sounds. As noted before, for the 1st 12 minutes and last 3 I also used the SILENCE tool to erase breathy sounds, but only RE-recorded as below.

SECONDS LOCATION AT:
0:28 - 29
0:40 - 41
1:30 - 31
3:30 - 31
4:28 - 29
5:11-12
5:28 - 29
6:40 - 41
6:50-51
8:04 - 05
8:12- 13
8:49 - 53
9:16 - 17

9:26 - 9:30
10:34 - 35
10:51-52
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Murphy8104 wrote: January 19th, 2021, 10:11 am My apologies Michael - I did not want to make more work for you. Times shown below are where I cleaned up the CHarles and CHurch shhh sounds. As noted before, for the 1st 12 minutes and last 3 I also used the SILENCE tool to erase breathy sounds, but only RE-recorded as below.
Thank you, that made for a quick spot PL. :) PL OK!

Michael
MariaMironova

Post by MariaMironova »

Hello everyone! I would love to read parts 37, 38, and 39.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

MariaMironova wrote: January 19th, 2021, 7:59 pm Hello everyone! I would love to read parts 37, 38, and 39.
Hello, Maria and welcome to LibriVox! :)

Since this looks like the first time you'll be assigned a section, let me know under what name (real or nickname) you would like to be credited in the catalog. We can also include a link to your personal website or blog, if you have one.

Also, please complete a 1-Minute Test before you record your first contribution. Its purpose is to ensure that your recording software and hardware is set up in accordance with LibriVox technical standards, so that you get a chance to adjust your setup without having to redo a longer recording. The instructions can be found on this wiki page:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/1-Minute_Test

If you post a notification about your test in this thread, I can check it for you. In the meantime, I'll pencil in your claim in the Notes column.

Thanks!
Michael
Kellysmagee

Post by Kellysmagee »

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=84954 Hi Michael,
I'm going to post my 1 minute test:
What happens next?

thank you,
Kelly