[FREETHOUGHT] Men, Women, and Gods by Helen H. Gardener - availle

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures by Helen H. Gardener (1853 - 1925).

Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures is a compilation of feminist freethought lectures given by activist Helen H. Gardener. She addresses the position of women in the church in an unrestrained and often witty manner. ( Scarbo)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/30207
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ============================================
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Atheism & Agnosticism
    Keywords that describe the book: feminism, atheism, freethought
    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures, by Helen H. Gardener. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures by Helen H. Gardener. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Men, Women, and Gods, and Other Lectures, by Helen H. Gardener. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename menwomenandgods_##_gardener_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. menwomenandgods_01_gardener_128kb.mp3)

You can ignore the ID3 tags as they will be filled in automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: yy - yyyyy
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by Scarbo on January 16th, 2021, 5:33 am, edited 4 times in total.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

I see from the instructions that it's preferable to record sections of 10-40 minutes, and some of these are pretty short. I thought of combining some of them to be 10+ minutes, but there are a lot of references to the appendices, and I felt like it would keep things simpler for the listener to have each lecture and appendix as a separate file even if some of them are under 10 minutes. If it's preferred that I not do this, I can rework the sections to combine certain lectures and appendices so that there are fewer sections and the recordings are longer.
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I'm happy to MC this for you, but will set up the MW a bit later today.

As for the number of sections, you can choose yourself if you want to combine some of them or not. If they stand alone, I see no reason why not leave them alone, even if there are shorter sections strewn in with longer ones. I always think that the author gave it some thought when dividing into sections, no need to be smarter than that. :wink:

Edit: Oh, we actually have an "atheist/freethought" genre over in "philosophy" :wink:
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you! And thanks for the tip on the genre, I was wondering why I couldn't find something along those lines. I changed it since this one's a much better fit. :D

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Well, it obviously doesn't fit into "Religion" :wink: It's a relatively recent addition and I claim full responsibility. :mrgreen:

So, your MW has arrived, you're now in charge of keeping it updated. Since you're an experienced DPL, I assume there will be no problems with that.
I see that you have shortened the filename, in turn I have ditched the ID3 tag info. :mrgreen:

I'd say we're good to go!
Let's sit here over the weekend and see if we can grab ourselves a DPL. No, you can't listen to your own files - and your MC is too busy for that. :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hello,

Do you still need a DPL? I'm available.
Jasna

Second to the right and then straight on till morning.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Dulcamara wrote: January 15th, 2021, 12:49 pm Hello,

Do you still need a DPL? I'm available.
That would be great! Thank you!

Sarah
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Lovely! :D
Jasna

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I think so too! :D DPL added, and moving over to "going solo".

Scarbo, one note about the MW: We don't need section numbers in the beginning of the section titles since they are added automatically during cataloging. If you want to add them yourself, that's fine, but you need to have leading zeros for all sections under 10. - meaning: 01, 02, 03... Otherwise I will get very unhappy with you during cataloging... :twisted:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Duly noted about the zeros before 1-9, thanks! I was thinking that including numbers would be helpful in cases where someone downloads to iTunes - I've downloaded books before with only chapter names and no numbers, and they display out of order so that I have to go back to the LV page to find out what order to read in. But maybe the technology has changed since those books were cataloged?

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Section numbers are added automatically during the cataloging process. I have no idea why iTunes doesn't honour this.

Quite frankly, I don't care about iTunes and any other place outside of our own catalog. I am only concerned with our own catalog pages. I think this double take of section numbers looks ugly on our catalog pages, so that's why I don't do it on any of my own projects.

Besides, we do not control iTunes or any other place outside of our own catalog pages. So if they change anything for better or worse, we have no influence on it.

This is your solo project, so you can set it up as you see fit, no problem. :D
But just so that we're on the same page here: In case iTunes changes their tunes 2 weeks after cataloging this and you then think that 2 section numbers look ugly on iTunes too - I will not go back into the database and change this. :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Oh, of course! I wouldn't have expected that any changes would be made after cataloging anyway. :) Taking everything into consideration, I've decided to leave off the numbers. Thanks for your perspective on why they're not necessary.

(I should mention that it may look like I made an error and left Appendix T out of the MW, but it's completely missing from the Gutenberg text.)

Sarah
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

So glad you see my light. :mrgreen:

Actually, we make plenty of changes after cataloging: Cover and m4b file need to be added once they are done, we fix errors like typos in the summary or corrupted files, hunt down disappearing text links... Essentially anything that makes us look like we're serious and we know what we're doing. :lol:

Fixing display issues on a random site that has nothing to do with us and may disappear without warning next week? Not really.

As for the missing appendix - you can add a statement like "appendix T is missing from the text, probably a labelling error" or similar to the summary. Unless you find this appendix in another source, sometimes even gutenberg goofs.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Sarah
Dulcamara

Post by Dulcamara »

Hi, Scarbo.

Section 4 PL: OK :D
Jasna