[COMPLETE] Scholasticism, by W. W. Shirley - icequeen

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford by Walter Waddington Shirley (1828 - 1866). Translated by Barry Ganong ( - 0)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/scholasticism-a-lecture-delivered-before-the-university-of-oxford-by-walter-waddington-shirley/
Walter Waddington Shirley was made Regius Professor of Ecclesiastical History and Canon of Christ Church, Oxford in 1863. This short work comprises the text of a lecture he gave at Oxford University in January, 1866. In it, he describes the historical setting in which scholasticism flourished and then summarizes its features. ( Barry Ganong)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://books.google.com/books/about/Scholasticism.html?id=23YpAQAAIAAJ&hl=en&output=html_text
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    ===========================================
    This paragraph is temporary and will be replaced by the MC with the list of sections and reader (Magic Window) once this project is in the admin system.

[list]
    [*] Project Code: rHHrXmn9

[*]Link to author on Wikipedia (if available): (Walter Waddington Shirley) : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Shirley_(priest_an

[*]Link to title on Wikipedia (if available): (none)
    [*]Number of sections (files) this project will have: 2
    [*]Does the project have an introduction or preface [y/n]: No
    [*]Original publication date (if known): 1866
    [*]If you are a new volunteer, how would you like your name (or pseudonym) credited in the catalog? Do you have a URL you would like associated with your name?:
============================================ [/size]

Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Middle Ages/Middle History; *Non-fiction/Philosophy/Medieval; *Non-fiction/Religion/Christianity - Other

Keywords that describe the book: philosophy, history, medieval, theology, scholasticism;

============================================

[*]The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
START of recording (Intro):
  • "Chapter [number] of Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
  • If you wish, say:
    "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
  • Say:
    "Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford, by Walter Waddington Shirley. Translated by Barry Ganong ( - 0) [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
  • "Chapter [number] of Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford by Walter Waddington Shirley. Translated by Barry Ganong ( - 0) This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
  • If you wish, say:
  • Only if applicable, say:
    "[Chapter title]"
END of recording:
  • At the end of the section, say:
    "End of [Chapter]"
  • If you wish, say:
  • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
    "End of Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford, by Walter Waddington Shirley. Translated by Barry Ganong ( - 0)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.

[*]Example filename scholasticismalecturedeliveredbeforetheuniversityofoxford_##_shirley_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. scholasticismalecturedeliveredbeforetheuniversityofoxford_01_shirley_128kb.mp3)

[*]Example ID3 V2 tags
Artist: Walter Waddington Shirley
Title: ## - [Section title]
Album: Scholasticism: A Lecture Delivered Before the University of Oxford

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
  • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
    (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
  • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: icequeen
  • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
  • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
Please post below[/list]

Can I set it up as follows?

First intro:

"Section one of Scholasticism, a lecture delivered before the University of Oxford, by Walter Waddington Shirley. This is a Librivox...visit librivox.org. Scholasticism, part one. (begin reading)"

First outro:

"End of part one."

Second Intro:

"Section two of Scholasticism, by Walter Waddington Shirley. This Librivox...public domain. Scholasticism, part two. (begin reading)"

Second outro:

"End of part two. End of Scholasticism, a lecture delivered before the University of Oxford, by Walter Waddington Shirley."
Barry
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

And I'd like Larry Wilson to be my DPL, if he's willing.
Barry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BarryGanong wrote: January 13th, 2021, 8:48 am And I'd like Larry Wilson to be my DPL, if he's willing.
OK, talked me into it. :lol:

Although, I will say i am an emotional basket case right now, so I may be off to a slow start. Already scheduled a "mental health day" off from work. On the other hand, some scholasticism may be good therapy. :mrgreen:
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

I am feeling very scholastic at the moment, so I will MC this one for you! :lol: Back in a moment with your MW!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

OK, your MW is ready, and Larry is in as DPL! I have no problem with the way that you would like to have your intros and outros. When it comes to solos, what the template generator gives us can be changed to what it needs to be, just as long as the proper public domain releases are present. The most important thing is to be consistent through the whole project.

OK, since we have all the proper players in their proper roles, I will move us to Going Solo in the morning!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

Thanks, Ann. The Template Generator suggested a longish filename. I will make it a little shorter, as "scholasticismalecture_##_shirley_128kb.mp3"
Barry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

BarryGanong wrote: January 14th, 2021, 11:53 am Thanks, Ann. The Template Generator suggested a longish filename. I will make it a little shorter, as "scholasticismalecture_##_shirley_128kb.mp3"
That will make your life easier! I usually catch those, but I was a little tired last night, so nice catch!

Off we go to Going Solo!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

Alrighty then! Here's section 1 (21:02):

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/scholasticismalecture_01_shirley_128kb.mp3

Enjoy – it sounds suspiciously like a section of the last book...
Barry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Great!
I'll get to it just as soon as I can.
This has been a rough week and I'm a bit behind.
I'm actually going to take a day off from work this week just chill, if that's possible.

Looking forward to it.
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Part I is PL OK.
~ Larry
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

Thanks! Here's section 2 (23:24):

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/scholasticismalecture_02_shirley_128kb.mp3

I like short!! This has occasional pops/ticks from my mike; I've cleaned up a few of the more egregious ones. I don't think it interferes substantially with listening, but if you think I should make it any cleaner, let me know.
Barry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BarryGanong wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:17 pm Thanks! Here's section 2 (23:24):

https://librivox.org/uploads/icequeen/scholasticismalecture_02_shirley_128kb.mp3

I like short!! This has occasional pops/ticks from my mike; I've cleaned up a few of the more egregious ones. I don't think it interferes substantially with listening, but if you think I should make it any cleaner, let me know.
The recording sounds clean to me and I've marked it PL OK.
So, I guess this is a wrap. :clap:

You can count on me for any future projects. :)
~ Larry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

Off we go to the catalog!
Ann

Audio, video, disco!
BarryGanong

Post by BarryGanong »

Thanks, Ann and Larry, for your help with this itty-bitty project.
Barry
icequeen
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by icequeen »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/scholasticism-a-lecture-delivered-before-the-university-of-oxford-by-walter-waddington-shirley/

Great job, Barry and Larry! :clap: :clap:
Ann

Audio, video, disco!