[COMPLETE] A Woman's Way Through Unknown Labrador by Mina Benson Hubbard - availle

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
zachh

Post by zachh »

The big gob of audio is finally done and uploaded, it came out to 69:44. Checker failed the file for being over an hour, but otherwise it seemed like it would have passed, if I understood correctly.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_19_hubbard_128kb.mp3
The last portion of the book is slightly longer and written in more of a narrative style, so I'll have to break that into two ~40 minute sections. Thank you very much for all of your help.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: January 13th, 2021, 12:24 pm The big gob of audio is finally done and uploaded, it came out to 69:44. Checker failed the file for being over an hour, but otherwise it seemed like it would have passed, if I understood correctly.
https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_19_hubbard_128kb.mp3
The last portion of the book is slightly longer and written in more of a narrative style, so I'll have to break that into two ~40 minute sections. Thank you very much for all of your help.
Excellent. I may have to wait until Sunday to get to this, but I'm looking forward to it!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I recorded the first half of the last part of the book today, but there's no hurry about the proof listening. I won't be recording the last section till next Sunday anyhow. Thank you very much for PLing, especially through these extra long sections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_20_hubbard_128kb.mp3
33:43
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: January 17th, 2021, 1:48 pm I recorded the first half of the last part of the book today, but there's no hurry about the proof listening. I won't be recording the last section till next Sunday anyhow. Thank you very much for PLing, especially through these extra long sections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/unknownlabrador_20_hubbard_128kb.mp3
33:43
I'm going to cheat and get this section done today. 19 may have to wait til my sciatica stops throbbing.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sec. 20 PL OK!

Oh my...
zachh

Post by zachh »

Oh dear, I'm sorry about your sciatica. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Please don't feel like you need to listen to either one right away, there's plenty of time in the future and I'm not in a rush to get this book catalogued. I was having some milder sciatica symptoms that made it hard to sit for a while this fall, and about a month ago I made an inversion table out in the loft of the barn and it has helped a lot, along with some extra stretching and such. I couldn't use a bought inversion table because I'm too tall and would have probably banged my head on the floor, but the homemade one was quick and easy to put together, and much cheaper.

Edited to say--while I was typing you already PLed #20. Thank you very much, but please don't do more than is good for you.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: January 17th, 2021, 2:58 pm Oh dear, I'm sorry about your sciatica. I hope you'll be feeling better soon. Please don't feel like you need to listen to either one right away, there's plenty of time in the future and I'm not in a rush to get this book catalogued. I was having some milder sciatica symptoms that made it hard to sit for a while this fall, and about a month ago I made an inversion table out in the loft of the barn and it has helped a lot, along with some extra stretching and such. I couldn't use a bought inversion table because I'm too tall and would have probably banged my head on the floor, but the homemade one was quick and easy to put together, and much cheaper.

Edited to say--while I was typing you already PLed #20. Thank you very much, but please don't do more than is good for you.
I have wanted an inversion table but am a bit frightened I would get stranded on it. I know that's not likely, but...

I have a new office chair arriving tomorrow. That, and a bit more concern for my posture should help!
zachh

Post by zachh »

I hope the new chair will help. I know I've felt better ever since 2017 when I finally made a Morris chair that is big enough for me. I realized one day back then that it had been 15 or more years since I had sat in a chair that fit me, as I've been 7 feet tall since I was 16. I did get stranded on my inversion table the first time I used it. I had a rope tied to a rafter to use to pull myself back over right side up, but it was too close to my feet so I wasn't able to pull hard enough to get started. I had to wiggle my feet out of the belt that holds them, but it wasn't too bad since I had the rope to hold onto so I didn't just fall on my head.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I've never seen a Morris chair in real life, let alone sit in one. You must be a very happy man!

Section 19 has just one glitch at 0:36. (What is that word?)
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thank you very much for listening to this very long section. I hope that your new chair is as comfortable as possible, and that you're feeling better. My morris chair is nothing to write home about, not at all a fancy style like some are, but it has the customary adjustable back angle and wide arms and the seat is long enough and high enough off the floor to fit my rather odd shape. I will try to read that sentence better tomorrow. I think maybe I could make it more audible if I left more of a space between "live" and "heres". Below I'll paste in the text of the sentence, if you have any ideas on how I should change the reading to make it make sense I'll be very grateful. Thank you very much for all of your help.

"Find all men and women on the coast are Newfoundland men, and "Liveyeres" (Live- heres)."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I did some research and find that the word means something different than just someone who might 'live here.' I had no idea of the whole concept.

I would go ahead and pronounce the word as liv-yers to rhyme with give and the plural of 'yer' as in 'he's yer man.' It's kind of like 'fig-ures'
zachh

Post by zachh »

Thanks, I'll give it a try and see what I can do. I had thought at first that the word in my reading that was not intelligible was "live-heres"(the repeat), but it sounds like it's actually "Liveyeres". Having two consecutive versions of a non-word at the end of a sentence is a bit baffling, though it makes perfect sense when read with the eyes.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I misunderstood. I thought this was a glitch, but it is written into the text.

I guess I'd go with the correct pronunciation and then some kind of pause and say 'live heres.) That seems to be the author or editor's intention. I wish I could say add something to the text to clarify matters, but we don't really do that.
zachh

Post by zachh »

I've got a couple of further questions before I record and re-upload. I'm sorry to ask so many. I can see how to add more pauses but I'm still confused about the correct pronunciation for Liveyeres. The way I said the vowels in the recording is the same way I say them in 'figures', but it may be different from the usual way. Should I be making the second vowel more like an 'ee' or an 'ah' and less like an 'uh'? If you can help me understand what you have in mind for the word I'll be very happy to do it that way.

I'm also wondering if it would be helpful if I said "quote, liveyeres, unquote" or "parenthesis, live-heres, close parenthesis" or both as a way to make it more audibly clear what that sentence looks like. Thank you for all of your help. I'll get the edits made soon, once I'm sure I understand what should be done for best results.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

zachh wrote: January 22nd, 2021, 7:19 am I've got a couple of further questions before I record and re-upload. I'm sorry to ask so many. I can see how to add more pauses but I'm still confused about the correct pronunciation for Liveyeres. The way I said the vowels in the recording is the same way I say them in 'figures', but it may be different from the usual way. Should I be making the second vowel more like an 'ee' or an 'ah' and less like an 'uh'? If you can help me understand what you have in mind for the word I'll be very happy to do it that way.

I'm also wondering if it would be helpful if I said "quote, liveyeres, unquote" or "parenthesis, live-heres, close parenthesis" or both as a way to make it more audibly clear what that sentence looks like. Thank you for all of your help. I'll get the edits made soon, once I'm sure I understand what should be done for best results.
I'll have a listen soon. (Coffee first.) Saying "Parenthesis ... close parenthesis" would help and would be true to the text. Maybe that is the best way. It would make things very clear.)