Pearl Buck Bibliography

Suggest and discuss books to read (all languages welcome!)
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Before anyone dashes off to start these post-1925 works, we are a little suspect that they aren't PD.

Usually PD works like these would be, by authors who died less than 70 years ago, are faithfully blocked for those of us outside the USA by HathiTrust. However, these aren't. That leads us to suspect they may have been overlooked somehow in their PD checks.

For these, we would prefer a PD clearance from Gutenberg.org to be certain they're out of copyright.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Just to confirm, the short story The Clutch Of The Ancients (1924) is PD. Correct?
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

KevinS wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:43 am Just to confirm, the short story The Clutch Of The Ancients (1924) is PD. Correct?
Most definitely, since it's more than 95 years old.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

Just bubbling this back up again. To summarize, these are the current unrecorded works by Buck that should be available to folks in the US to record (China Sky did have its copyright renewed and isn't PD):

The Long Love (1949) [written under pseudonym John Sedges]
Potrait of a marriage - For Edward Haslatt there was no thought of another woman. He loved his wife with a devotion that began with their courtship and grew with the years. Yet Margaret Haslatt had a rival more dangerous than any sloe-eyed mistress. - Edward had built his father's printing shop into a thriving publishing house. He gave himself to it with all his time and energy. But for a married man there are other demands. There is a constant conflict between his wife's needs and the pressures of his work, between his temperament and hers. There are the conflicts that simmer under the surface of every male and female, conflicts that sometimes flare into a blaze of anger
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4097124

Christmas Miniature (1956)
This adorable book is the story of a little boy named Sandy who can't wait for Santa Claus to visit his home on Christmas Eve.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=uc1.b4594037

How It Happens: Talk About the German People, 1918-1933 (1947)
The book explores the events leading up to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany, from the country's defeat in World War I to the economic struggles of the Weimar Republic. Buck provides an in-depth analysis of the social, political, and economic factors that contributed to the rise of Hitler and the Nazi party. She also examines the role of the German people in this process, and how they responded to the changing political landscape. Buck draws on her own experiences living in China and Japan, as well as her extensive research, to provide a unique perspective on this pivotal moment in history.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=inu.32000005037108

Can the Church Lead? (1942)
An essay on the place of the Church in modern society.
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=nnc2.ark:/13960/t98702g7n
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

Hi flavo5000,

I'll narrate Can the Church Lead? (1942). Possibly it can be split up into sections.
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.
flavo5000

Post by flavo5000 »

VOgalUS wrote: April 21st, 2024, 11:12 am Hi flavo5000,

I'll narrate Can the Church Lead? (1942). Possibly it can be split up into sections.
Well, just looking at it, it's only about 3000 words. It probably wouldn't make sense as a solo project but it'd probably be a great fit for the Essay collection:
viewtopic.php?t=102136
VOgalUS

Post by VOgalUS »

flavo5000 wrote: April 21st, 2024, 11:55 am
VOgalUS wrote: April 21st, 2024, 11:12 am Hi flavo5000,

Well, just looking at it, it's only about 3000 words. It probably wouldn't make sense as a solo project but it'd probably be a great fit for the Essay collection:
viewtopic.php?t=102136
Yes it would. I'll check into it.
VO gal

Do do do do, de da da da is all I want to say to you.