Covermakers Chat Thread

Non-reading activities need your help too!
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

The biggest problem was finding a portrait. And any 2 internet biographies that agreed :roll: I found one that she went off to work in a mission so I had one understanding of her, then the last one I found said she married a man involved in British customs in the Empire and she went there with him, and I guess most of the expat wives helped out in missions to alleviate the boredom so the pictures I did find made more sense.

Anne
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

The Rijksmuseum is a popular stop for tourists visiting the city of Amsterdam in The Netherlands. At the museums, visitors can view countless works by old Dutch Masters as well as more modern artists like Van Gogh. The paintings of Vermeer, Rembrandt, and Van Dyck held at the museum are treasures of world art history. These priceless works are among the over 709,000 digitized artworks now available to view for free online. The Rijksmuseum has created an impressive and easy-to-explore online collection with detailed object descriptions. In even better news, most of the digitized works are in the public domain—downloadable and even customizable with the museum's free resources.

The Rijksmuseum's online collections known as Rijks Studio are easily searchable by artist, object type, period, and place. Users will encounter magnificent 17th-century portraits by Frans Hals, realistic still life paintings, and ornate furniture, including one opulent dollhouse in a cabinet. If you start searching the collections, you are sure to find art and artists you never knew existed.
https://mymodernmet.com/rijksmuseum-free-online-art/
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
Lion24

Post by Lion24 »

annise wrote: January 11th, 2021, 4:37 pm Make that 3 covers :oops:

Anne
Thanks Anne! :D
kayray

Post by kayray »

To whomever made the cover for my Great Gatsby -- THANK YOU!!!!! I wanted to request that you use that original book jacket art but didn't want to be a prima donna -- so I was THRILLED to see it! It's just what I wished for. Thank you so much <3
Kara
http://kayray.org/
--------
"Mary wished to say something very sensible into her Zoom H2 Handy Recorder, but knew not how." -- Jane Austen (& Kara)
Newgatenovelist

Post by Newgatenovelist »

A big thank you to Anne for the cover of The Last Lords of Gardonal. I like it a lot!
Erin
Off LV 25-28 March.
pnagami

Post by pnagami »

Thank you very much for the beautiful cover for:

https://librivox.org/the-beginning-of-the-middle-ages-by-richard-william-church/

I could not tell who you were, so I was unable to thank you personally.

Thanks!

Pam
"Quiet minds cannot be perplexed or frightened but go on in fortune or misfortune at their own private pace, like a clock during a thunderstorm."

Robert Louis Stevenson
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

You're welcome Pam! I'll finish the pdf and add it tomorrow.
I got a surprise "right here - right now" work assignment, and now I have to go to bed...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
schrm

Post by schrm »

i have found a wonderful artist!

some background infos:
- julie wolfthorn, also called Wolf-Thorn, or variants with wolff
- founding member of the berlin sezession
- died 1944 in a kz
- her paintings were thought of lost, or burned by the nazis.

--> twenty years ago, the paintings were found...

style is varying, art niveau, impressionism, but also some are more like experimental styles.
some may be suitable for fairy tales or fantasy, some are more fashion history.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Julie_Wolfthorn
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Wolfthorn
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Wolfthorn

maybe some of the earlier paintings are useable, eg girl with green eyes

:D
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Works by this artist may not be in the public domain in the United States, even though they are in the public domain in their source country, because their US copyright was restored by the URAA. Please do not upload photographs or scans of works by this artist, unless they meet one of the following exceptions:
I didn't look at the list of exceptions except the one for it being painted in 1925 or earlier. So it looks like we must be careful with this artist.
schrm

Post by schrm »

TriciaG wrote: January 24th, 2021, 6:56 am
Works by this artist may not be in the public domain in the United States, even though they are in the public domain in their source country, because their US copyright was restored by the URAA. Please do not upload photographs or scans of works by this artist, unless they meet one of the following exceptions:
I didn't look at the list of exceptions except the one for it being painted in 1925 or earlier. So it looks like we must be careful with this artist.
oh... :(
since they got rediscovered after 80 years, i feared something like that...

but one advantage of american copyright laws is: her earlier works are pd for sure...
cheers
wolfi
reader/12275
TanG

Post by TanG »

Huge THANK YOU to Anne for making cover for Gogol's 'Christmas eve' book.
I understand that it was really challenging and appreciate all changes that you have made.
Tan.
TanG

Post by TanG »

There are some other Ukrainian project in process, so I'd like to try my hand in covermaking for them.
Can I preclaim covers for projects in process?
How projects get into the covermaking lot, does the BC have to put it there somehow? (Should I had done it for Gogol?)
Is there some step-by-step instruction?
I can try to arrange some images together but I really don't understand the naming and sending part.
I would be grateful for any help.
Tan.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

TanG wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:00 am There are some other Ukrainian project in process, so I'd like to try my hand in covermaking for them.
Can I preclaim covers for projects in process?
How projects get into the covermaking lot, does the BC have to put it there somehow? (Should I had done it for Gogol?)
Is there some step-by-step instruction?
I can try to arrange some images together but I really don't understand the naming and sending part.
I would be grateful for any help.
Tan.
Read the top post here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785 It should answer many of these questions. Then ask any you still have. :)

Getting on the list is automatic. I don't know why it failed for Gogol.
TanG

Post by TanG »

TriciaG wrote: January 30th, 2021, 9:14 am Read the top post here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28785 It should answer many of these questions. Then ask any you still have. :)
Thank you. I've already read it but still can't understand the naming and sending part.
I'll read again, maybe I missed something.
Tan.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

File naming:

two JPG of 300x300 px:

title_yymm.jpg
and
title_yymm_itemimage.jpg

One JPG of 150x150 px:

title_yymm_thumb.jpg

One PDF:

title_yymm.pdf

Uploading: put them all in a zip file, go to the uploader, and choose "covers" in the pick list. Post the resulting link in the Covers working thread.