Under The Flight Path

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
TruistKnave

Post by TruistKnave »

I live in California, in the "High Desert." The location is pretty rural, but no matter what I do I can't get away from the low rumble caused by the planes that constantly fly overhead. On average if I record for 20 minutes, I've got to stop three times because of planes. I've been experimenting with anything I can think of as far as quiet places to record. I've tried my room, but there are too many people and too many televisions/stereos to combat the cacophony without a full remodeling of my room and that's not an option at the moment. I'm currently recording in a hole that I dug. The top is covered with two twin box-springs and a queen-sized mattress, over the end of which I have draped 4 heavy moving blankets that extend all the way to the bottom. It completely blocks out sunlight, but I can hear the planes just fine still. I've got about two hundred dollars to invest in materials and am looking for a DIY option rather than buying expensive premade solutions. Does anybody here have any advice as it relates to stopping the low dB plane engine noises? Maybe it's something easier handled in post-production? Any advice would be very welcome. Thanks.
I am the you that you would be if you were me.
audiomike

Post by audiomike »

Could you post a bit of recording with before, during, and after the fly-overs? (unedited of course)
TruistKnave

Post by TruistKnave »

I feel like a complete neophyte, but I must admit that I don't know how to post an audio clip here in the forum. I've only posted my one minute test so far. Do I use the same process that was prescribed for that?
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

TruistKnave wrote: January 12th, 2021, 7:48 pm I feel like a complete neophyte, but I must admit that I don't know how to post an audio clip here in the forum. I've only posted my one minute test so far. Do I use the same process that was prescribed for that?
Yes, it's the exact same process! The only difference is that you won't choose "tests" from the drop down menu in the uploader. Instead, you'll pick the name of the MC for the project you're uploading to. To find out who the MC is, check the first post of the project. It will usually be stated right below the link to the uploader itself. It will also usually, if not always, be in blue font, so it should be easy to find.
Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Rapunzelina »

Since it's a sample recording, you can still choose the test folder to upload.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh, yes! Sorry, I didn't read enough of the project thread to have the proper context! :mrgreen:
TruistKnave

Post by TruistKnave »

Wow. Thank you all for your willingness to help. It's been a bit of a hectic week and I feel like that guy that asks a question and then gets distracted by something shiny and isn't paying attention for the answer. But rest assured I'm listening to you guys. I will post an example within the next few days.