COMPLETE[PLAY]One Act Play Collection 015 - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Are you going to have someone else PL that, or just have it checked when the fully assembled play gets PL'd? Up to you.

Thanks, Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

ToddHW wrote: January 9th, 2021, 6:58 pm Thank you.

Are you going to have someone else PL that, or just have it checked when the fully assembled play gets PL'd? Up to you.

Thanks, Todd
I don't have anyone lined up to PL right now, so I will probably have it checked when the whole play gets PL'd.
Ambsweet13

Post by Ambsweet13 »

* Title and author "The Trysting Place: A Farce in One Act by Booth Tarkington(1869-1946)

* PD text link https://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/59778

* Link to author on Wikipedia, and death date, if known https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Booth_Tarkington 1946

* Link to title on Wikipedia n/a

* Number of roles (including narrator) this project will have 8

* Original publication date 1922

* The list of characters in your plays so when we have a MW I can set up your sections properly!

Mrs. Curtis, The Young Woman, twenty-five or perhaps even a little older.

Lancelot Briggs, The Boy, slim and obviously under twenty.

Mrs. Briggs, his mother, a handsome woman of forty-five or fifty.

Jessie, his sister, a pretty girl of about twenty.

Rupert Smith, The Young Man, about twenty-five.

Mr. Ingoldsby, a man of fifty-five or, possibly, sixty.

The Mysterious Voice, male and adult.

Stage Directions
A.M.B. :roll:

Between illnesses, work, and vacation, May wasn't my best Librivox month. But I'm back and ready to do some more recording, editing, and PLing!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

Dear friends,
As a new volunteer, I test-listened part of the play of Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07) for a few minutes. Please advise about my sample "Error Report" as follows.
My two questions are:
1) is my report in the right format?
2) did I note the "errors" of the appropriate type and level? 

Thanks for your help!
Jessie 
--------------sample Error Report-----------
One Act Play Collection 015 by Various ( - ).  
4. “Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady” by J.R. Planche (1796-1880). BC for this play is ktaylor07
Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099301673&view=1up&seq=6   

audio link: viewtopic.php?f=27&t=84428

44 Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07) 
errors: 
1:40 "who has for months past been ..." omitted the "past" between "month" and "been"; on page 8 of the book
4:26 "by this note, is Ruy Gomez ..." added a word "it" between "note" and "is" on page 9 of the book
4:50 "such an occurrence" the pronunciation of "occurrence" is different from the way I heard it is normally pronounced; on page 9 of the book 
7:27 "than the threats of any punishment" omitted "the" between "than" and "threats" on page 11 of the book 
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Welcome!

It looks like you're doing proof-listening rather than making an error report. (Error Reports, for us, are for problems in projects that are already cataloged and available to the public.)

I don't know what the level of proof-listening is on the one-act plays, so what I will do is merge this post over into the one-act play project thread. The coordinators over there can take it from there. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

UPRG11W wrote: January 11th, 2021, 9:23 am Dear friends,
As a new volunteer, I test-listened part of the play of Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07) for a few minutes. Please advise about my sample "Error Report" as follows.
My two questions are:
1) is my report in the right format?
2) did I note the "errors" of the appropriate type and level? 

Thanks for your help!
Jessie 
--------------sample Error Report-----------
4. “Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady” by J.R. Planche (1796-1880). BC for this play is ktaylor07
Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099301673&view=1up&seq=6   

44 Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07) 
errors: 
1:40 "who has for months past been ..." omitted the "past" between "month" and "been"; on page 8 of the book
4:26 "by this note, is Ruy Gomez ..." added a word "it" between "note" and "is" on page 9 of the book
4:50 "such an occurrence" the pronunciation of "occurrence" is different from the way I heard it is normally pronounced; on page 9 of the book 
7:27 "than the threats of any punishment" omitted "the" between "than" and "threats" on page 11 of the book 
Thank you. Here's what PL on a dramatic work typically means. The different BCs can change these a bit if they wish.
first a check that each reader file is complete - no lines missing; with these old scripts or even a Gutenberg transcription like this, sometimes it is hard for readers to catch all the lines.

Second, we are usually using Standard PL on these plays, not Word Perfect, unless a BC demands it. This means - in general - that minor errors are okay. But check that any errors do not change the meaning of a line - if they do, then post a note for fixing that.
By this standard, what you have tagged at 1:40, 4:26, and 7:27 would probably not be considered errors depending on the BC for that play.
Note that I - ToddHW - don't really care about how words, names, places are pronounced so long as any one reader is consistent within all their files. Different pronunciations by different characters could be accents, foreign background, pet name from when they knew the other character in childhood, etc.
So I would allow what was said at 4:50 without any fix. Other BCs may be more strict.

By the way, you should check with the BC for a project before doing any PL. Many of them will have made arrangements already for someone to do it and how they want it done.

Thanks, Todd
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

Hi, Chris,

I am a new volunteer and I would love to proof-listen part of this play if you are the BC. I can volunteer up to 10 hours each week.

Thanks,
Jessie
SonOfTheExiles wrote: December 26th, 2020, 7:59 pm Hi Todd,

I'd like to BC "A Photographic Fix": https://archive.org/details/photographicfixo00hayf/page/n6/mode/2up

The parts are:

Michael Angelo Chrome
Ebenezer Staggers
Bob Cropp
Miss Diana Duff
Miss Caroline Cropp
Stage Directions

I'd like to take on the role of Bob Cropp myself.

I'll be trying to get a PL and a Play Assembler for this ... do I advertise for that within this thread or elsewhere?

Thanks,
Chris
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

Many thanks for your advice, Todd!

I am still trying to find out how to contact a BC when I am interested to PL. BTW, I am available and willing to PL for any project that needs a PL. I can volunteer up to 10 hours each week and can be flexible according to the need of the project!

Regards,
Jessie
ToddHW wrote: January 11th, 2021, 12:39 pm
Note that I - ToddHW - don't really care about how words, names, places are pronounced so long as any one reader is consistent within all their files. Different pronunciations by different characters could be accents, foreign background, pet name from when they knew the other character in childhood, etc.
So I would allow what was said at 4:50 without any fix. Other BCs may be more strict.

By the way, you should check with the BC for a project before doing any PL. Many of them will have made arrangements already for someone to do it and how they want it done.

Thanks, Todd
UPRG11W

Post by UPRG11W »

Hi Todd,

I have one more question about PL standard for a play. I finished listening to the whole part of 44 Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07). It is beautifully read and I would have been able to say that it is PL OK, according to the standard that I learned so far. But I want to make sure if there should also be a 5-second pause when a stage direction occurs during the lines. The minutes below are such occasions, where the pause is less than 5 seconds and there is a stage direction during the play.

7:44, 7:50, 14:51, 21:07, 23:12, 29:48

Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099301673&view=1up&seq=6  

Regards,
Jessie
As a new volunteer, ...

Thanks, Todd
ktaylor07

Post by ktaylor07 »

UPRG11W wrote: January 14th, 2021, 2:03 am Hi Todd,

I have one more question about PL standard for a play. I finished listening to the whole part of 44 Duchess de Torreneueva read by Kelly Taylor (ktaylor07). It is beautifully read and I would have been able to say that it is PL OK, according to the standard that I learned so far. But I want to make sure if there should also be a 5-second pause when a stage direction occurs during the lines. The minutes below are such occasions, where the pause is less than 5 seconds and there is a stage direction during the play.

7:44, 7:50, 14:51, 21:07, 23:12, 29:48

Text: https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=wu.89099301673&view=1up&seq=6  

Regards,
Jessie
As a new volunteer, ...

Thanks, Todd
Jessie -- I would love for you to PL for "Faint Heart Never Won Fair Lady"! Thanks for PL-ing my reading of the Duchess and for your compliments on my reading. Because I am also the BC for this play, I'm afraid I'm not very careful about maintaining a strict 5 second pause between my lines. I know I'm not going to need precisely that much time when I'm editing together the file. So don't worry about that when you're PL-ing for me. Thanks so much! It's wonderful to have more people interested in becoming proof listeners!!
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
mleigh

Post by mleigh »

Here is Lady Macbeth in Re-Taming of the Shrew

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/retamingoftheshrew_ladymacbeth_postgate.mp3

Please let me know anything you want done differently. (Although you can forget the accent.)

Thanks,

M