COMPLETE[PLAY]Lightnin' by Smith and Bacon - thw

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you, Alan.

Sonia, I can't download it either. Methinks there is some trick to it. I'll work on it....

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Hathi won't let you download unless you have a partner login or some such. I forget what they call it. Unless you want to download it a page at a time. I actually did that for one project I worked on. It was a pain, but the book was only 4 or 5 hours completed, so it wasn't too terrible. :?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Lightnin' recorded. Boy, he talks a lot. Need to edit before upload....

Thanks, Todd
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: January 8th, 2021, 10:21 am Hathi won't let you download unless you have a partner login or some such. I forget what they call it. Unless you want to download it a page at a time. I actually did that for one project I worked on. It was a pain, but the book was only 4 or 5 hours completed, so it wasn't too terrible. :?
I have to download page by page in Hathi too, and I find it to be a major pain. (Especially when I am proof listening my own work before turning it in). I do it grudgingly because I like to be offline when I record (or my computer background noise is too loud). Couldn't someone with access to Hathi just download the pdf file and pop it onto her/his google(or other) drive for all of us to download (like with the DR scripts)?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Sonia - er, Mrs. Jones, at top of page 40, there is a line in mine I think is yours: "Oh, Is this Mrs. Davis?"

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

There's a line for John Marvin buried in one of Lightnin's on p110: Dummies! Dummies!.

Just making a note in case it was missed.

Thank, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Bill Lightnin' Jones is taking a break from his bee herdin' and awaiting fer ya in the MW for some PL time together-like.

Thanks, Todd
Dtcastid

Post by Dtcastid »

Kitty wrote: January 6th, 2021, 11:03 am
Dtcastid wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 12:04 pmHere's section 29 Mrs. Harper, Act 1 and section 30 Mrs. Harper, Act 2.
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_mrsharper_1_128kb.mp3, which runs at 1:7 and
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_mrsharper_2_128kb.mp3, which runs at 1:2.
thank you Diane, a wonderful Texan drawl you managed here (at least what I think is a Texan drawl :lol: ) really enjoyed the performance.

Both acts PL ok.

I will put the second file into the correct Act 3 though. After spending half an hour peeling my eyes off while rummaging twice through act 2, thinking I'd totally lost it, I finally caved and checked the whole of act 3 only to find it was this act she appeared in. :? The script is quite hard on my eyes to check. I much prefer archive over hathitrust. This gave me a headache now and I need to rest my eyes before tackling the longer Marvin speeches. Patience please. Tomorrow I'll give it another go.

Thanks

Sonia
Thanks, Sonia. I lived in Texas for a short while, so that’s my only claim to the accent. :P Yes I was concerned I might miss a line or two so I scoured the text. I totally agree that hathitrust is much harder and sorry I didn’t catch that it was act 3.
Diane
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

alanmapstone wrote: January 8th, 2021, 2:52 amLemuel act 2
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_lemuel_2.mp3
Lem has a bit more to say in this act but it is a court scene and he is the Judge :D
oh but you're an excellent judge in this scene. So no-nonsense and stern. I loved it very much. You practiced for this role in the Racine play already, but Lem here is a bit less crazy :lol:

Just found one missed line:

> at about 3:22: (p. 89) "Yes."

thanks, Alan !

Sonia
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

ToddHW wrote: January 9th, 2021, 5:53 amThere's a line for John Marvin buried in one of Lightnin's on p110: Dummies! Dummies!.
oops, I saw it now when I listened to your files. I am not sure whether it was in Marvin's file. :hmm: Did you PM him to ask ?

As for your Lightnin' Bill: wonderfully acted :thumbs: Really loved the drawl too. I am totally not sure that I can match this. I guess my Mrs Jones will have to be an imported European girl again :lol: But I'll try my best.

All of Lightning PL ok as far as I can judge no lines were missing. You didn't sound too drunk in the beginning, but I guess that's because Bill is so used to being tipsy that he can pull a quite normal voice still :mrgreen:

Thanks

Sonia
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you. Lightnin' don't drink. At least I does say so several times.

Todd
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

ToddHW wrote: January 9th, 2021, 1:52 pm Thank you. Lightnin' don't drink. At least I does say so several times.

Todd
Lightnin': "It's not about how many times you fall, it's about how many times you get back up."

Sheriff: "That's not how field sobriety tests work, bub."
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

ToddHW wrote: January 9th, 2021, 5:53 am There's a line for John Marvin buried in one of Lightnin's on p110: Dummies! Dummies!.

Thank, Todd
Well, ain't that a sneaky one.

Act 2, updated accordingly - "Dummies" at 14:35:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/lightnin_johnmarvin_2_128kb.mp3
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
alanmapstone

Post by alanmapstone »

Alan
the sixth age shifts into the slippered pantaloon with spectacles on nose
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you both.

Todd