[COMPLETE] The Cambridge Modern History. Volume 02, The Reformation - Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
TadDavis

Post by TadDavis »

Kazbek wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:44 pm
TadDavis wrote: January 5th, 2021, 3:23 pm I've uploaded Section 52 for review:
Just one small issue: the silence at the end needs to be shortened to ~5 sec. Currently almost 9 seconds.

Thanks,
Michael
!!!!
Will fix and get it back tomorrow.

I got some feedback from an in-house critic and long-time audiobook listener (my wife) who thinks I might be speaking too fast. I do think given the density of the material I will try to slow it down a little on the next section. I think my perception is skewed because I tend to listen to books myself at 1.5x or 1.75x.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

TadDavis wrote: January 7th, 2021, 6:18 pm I got some feedback from an in-house critic and long-time audiobook listener (my wife) who thinks I might be speaking too fast. I do think given the density of the material I will try to slow it down a little on the next section. I think my perception is skewed because I tend to listen to books myself at 1.5x or 1.75x.
Different listeners have widely differing preferences about reading speed. If you'd like to experiment with pacing, one thing to consider is that a slower speaker who leaves shorter pauses between sentences can sound more rushed than a faster speaker who makes longer pauses.

Michael
SimonParent

Post by SimonParent »

Here is section 17, Capter 5, part 1.

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/campbridgemodernhistory2_17_128kb.mp3

It was harder and longer than I thought, but I am getting familiar with the process, and I think it will be easier next time.

I welcome criticism, as I am sure I must have mispronunced a few things (German, French, English, Latin and Spanish words here or there).

In any case, I can take section 18, assuming this section is ok.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SimonParent wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:27 pm Here is section 17, Capter 5, part 1.

It was harder and longer than I thought, but I am getting familiar with the process, and I think it will be easier next time.

I welcome criticism, as I am sure I must have mispronunced a few things (German, French, English, Latin and Spanish words here or there).

Thank you! I'll listen to it soon and section 18 is yours. Please note that we ask readers to tell us the duration of their recording for every upload (mm:ss).

Thanks,
Michael
geoffreydesena

Post by geoffreydesena »

Kazbek wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm
and freshly edited section 65 [36:42]
Section 64 is PL OK! In 65, I came across repeats at 4:04, 4:52, and 6:18. This is unusual for your recordings, so I've stopped there to check if this is just a rough patch or if you've accidentally uploaded the wrong version.

Thanks,
Michael
[/quote]

All apologies Michael. I did this one in a bit of a hurry. I guess I was even less focused than I thought. :(
Sustainably,
Geoffrey DeSena
geoffreydesena

Post by geoffreydesena »

Kazbek wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:46 pm
Section 64 is PL OK! In 65, I came across repeats at 4:04, 4:52, and 6:18. This is unusual for your recordings, so I've stopped there to check if this is just a rough patch or if you've accidentally uploaded the wrong version.

Thanks,
Michael

I'm ashamed to have submitted such garbage. I made probably another dozen edits. It ought to be at least acceptable now, but I need to make some changes to the way I do things for the next one. :oops:

CMH2, section 65 [36:42]
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_65_128kb.mp3
Sustainably,
Geoffrey DeSena
thestorygirl

Post by thestorygirl »

Hi,
Am ready to throw Section 37 & 58 back out there in the pot, but still planning on getting my others done before deadline. :wink:
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

SimonParent wrote: January 7th, 2021, 8:27 pm Here is section 17, Capter 5, part 1.

You have a pleasant reading voice, and you've done a nice job with the languages. I'm surprised that you included French on your list, because you sound like a native speaker... and possibly a fellow North American? :)

The only change required under the standard level of PL is adding "End of section 17" at the end and shortening the final silence to ~5 seconds (currently ~9).

Since you solicited criticism I will also suggest a couple of optional changes:
(26:16) bottom of p. 149. "1507" is pronounced "fifteen oh seven" (not "zero") or "fifteen hundred and seven"
(26:34) top of p. 150 "by the empire and not by the emperor". I guessed what these two nouns were from the context, but my ear couldn't tell which one was which. You pronounced both of them more clearly elsewhere, so perhaps this was something like a slip of the tongue.
(38:49) p. 153, I hear "suscessible" instead "susceptible"

When the PL suggests an optional change, you can reply that you will leave it as is. Do you know how to replace a single phrase in a recording? If not, there's a demo in the middle of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg

Also, for the future: Charles' is pronounced with a "ziz" at the end and the stress in "Protestant" is on the first syllable. Mentioning it only because both occur frequently in this book.

When uploading the updated recording, please check the filename (there's no "p" in cambridge) and list the duration (mm:ss) with the URL.

Thanks!
Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

geoffreydesena wrote: January 8th, 2021, 1:27 pm
I'm ashamed to have submitted such garbage. I made probably another dozen edits. It ought to be at least acceptable now, but I need to make some changes to the way I do things for the next one. :oops:

CMH2, section 65 [36:42]
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_65_128kb.mp3
Thank you! It's ok. Under-edited recordings get uploaded from time to time. That's why I stopped early, so that it didn't take me more than a couple of minutes to raise the issue, and you wouldn't feel bad about it. :)

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

thestorygirl wrote: January 8th, 2021, 4:56 pm Hi,
Am ready to throw Section 37 & 58 back out there in the pot, but still planning on getting my others done before deadline. :wink:
Great, thanks for letting me know!

Michael
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

ColleenMc wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:31 pm Part 5:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_05_128kb.mp3

29:28

Colleen
Thank you, Colleen!

Michael
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_20_128kb.mp3 29:18

I'll submit the remaining 2 sections next week.

I kept randomly "turning off" my German pronunciation and I noticed it too late into the recording, so I just kept it as it is.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
SimonParent

Post by SimonParent »

Kazbek wrote: January 8th, 2021, 7:36 pm

You have a pleasant reading voice, and you've done a nice job with the languages. I'm surprised that you included French on your list, because you sound like a native speaker... and possibly a fellow North American? :)

The only change required under the standard level of PL is adding "End of section 17" at the end and shortening the final silence to ~5 seconds (currently ~9).

Since you solicited criticism I will also suggest a couple of optional changes:
(26:16) bottom of p. 149. "1507" is pronounced "fifteen oh seven" (not "zero") or "fifteen hundred and seven"
(26:34) top of p. 150 "by the empire and not by the emperor". I guessed what these two nouns were from the context, but my ear couldn't tell which one was which. You pronounced both of them more clearly elsewhere, so perhaps this was something like a slip of the tongue.
(38:49) p. 153, I hear "suscessible" instead "susceptible"

When the PL suggests an optional change, you can reply that you will leave it as is. Do you know how to replace a single phrase in a recording? If not, there's a demo in the middle of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9NuSuWYaWg

Also, for the future: Charles' is pronounced with a "ziz" at the end and the stress in "Protestant" is on the first syllable. Mentioning it only because both occur frequently in this book.

When uploading the updated recording, please check the filename (there's no "p" in cambridge) and list the duration (mm:ss) with the URL.

Thanks!
Michael
Thank you so much!!! I am from Montreal Quebec, native french speaker, and learned english a bit late in life, so there's a lot of pronunciation that I feel I do wrong. I really appreciate the kind of tips you gave me.
I will upload the changes asap and start on the next chapter (though based on my free time, I might only get started in a few days).
I will edit based on your suggestions.
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 10th, 2021, 6:01 am https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/cambridgemodernhistory2_20_128kb.mp3 29:18

I'll submit the remaining 2 sections next week.

I kept randomly "turning off" my German pronunciation and I noticed it too late into the recording, so I just kept it as it is.
Thank you, Piotrek!

Michael