2021 Librivox Goals (and how did you do in 2020?)

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

It's not feasible for the whole year, but I hope to record and/or edit 1 section a day, no matter how small. So far, so good. Let's see how long I will be able to keep it going.
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
realisticspeakers

Post by realisticspeakers »

One of my goals is to quit Librivox. You know, move on to bigger better brighter bonanzas.

But that Saturday Evening Post project looks really very cool.
And I think I want to do more plays. After all, "I read with marvelous expression!"
And probably another solo.
or two
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
realisticspeakers

I apologize for killing the thread?

shrug emoji
Truth exists for the wise, Beauty for a feeling heart: They belong to each other. - Beethoven
Disclaimer:
"Kind reader, if this our performance doth in aught fall short of promise, blame not our good intent, but our unperfect wit."
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

realisticspeakers wrote: January 5th, 2021, 8:17 am I apologize for killing the thread?

shrug emoji
Isn't there a 'penitent emoji'?
zachh

Post by zachh »

My goals for 2020 are:

To finish my first solo (in January if possible).

To start another one, probably fiction this time.

My main hope is to learn to control my speed better. Now I sometimes can read steadily, but sometimes I get stuck stuttering and have to restart a sentence numerous times, and sometimes I get going too fast till it all becomes a blur. This means that I spend an inordinate amount of time editing. Sunday I recorded a section that started out just over 30 minutes long, then I spent about 90 minutes editing it and ended up with a finished recording time of just under 20 minutes. This is wildly inefficient, and I would like to get to the point where I could read and then mostly only have to edit the lengths of pauses between sentences. I don't know if I can, but I'm hoping for the best.
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Hi Zachh:

Those are very doable goals!

I have bad news: I've been doing this for a few years, and your report of your editing time vs. recording time is pretty similar to mine still -- in fact it seems as I learn more tweaks in Audacity, I've become more persnickety in my editing which makes it take even longer.

It frequently takes me 3 or 4 attempts to get through a particularly hairy sentence, or to pronounce words in other languages to my satisfaction. I never stop recording, when I play back all the sighs and Hmms and annoyed noises are in there. However, if I edit pretty soon after I record, I can often go through and clip out big sections of silence and obvious starts and stops before I start the listening back process, which saves me some time.

There's a recording and editing process called punch and roll, which I'm not personally familiar with because I prefer to record the whole piece and then edit, but it involves fixing stumbles etc. as you record. If you check on YouTube you can find some videos on it -- I imagine it takes time to get used to but I'm sure your recording process as a whole would go faster once you get proficient with it.

Be patient with yourself, recording and editing are separate and multifaceted skills and it takes a while to get up to speed with them. The more you do, the better you get!

Good luck with your goals!

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
zachh

Post by zachh »

Colleen, thanks for the advice. I will try looking through and cutting out the big messes ahead of time, that's a great idea. I just let it record all the way through too, the punch and roll method has sounded interesting but I would have to stop so often now that it might be better left till I get better at reading. I'm hoping that, as you say, it will get easier the more I practice. I travel in hope, as the saying goes.
Zach
maxgal

Post by maxgal »

I don't recall having any specific LV goal(s) for 2020, so I haven't disappointed myself in that regard....
For 2021:
: Pull out of Procrastination Station more often, and more quickly.
: Do at least one story for each GhoHor collection...although these are getting lightning-fast!
: Finish my 3 current solos!
: Do a particular Big Fat Solo for which I anticipate getting the PG text sometime in 2021.
Louise
"every little breeze..."

Fun Fact: 40% of all statistics are wrong.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

My goal for 2021 is to not say anything this year to make myself look dumb.

Oh darn... :lol:

Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox
realisticspeakers

SonOfTheExiles wrote: January 7th, 2021, 12:38 am My goal for 2021 is to not say anything this year to make myself look dumb.

Oh darn... :lol:

Chris
Is it possible for *me to set such goals?
Disclaimer:
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Speaking of impossible goals, I hope to appear learnéd and sheek.

EDIT: I mean 'learnt,' of course.
MaryinArkansas

Post by MaryinArkansas »

KevinS wrote: January 8th, 2021, 8:59 am Speaking of impossible goals, I hope to appear learnéd and sheek.

You can also be Sheik, Kevin. https://youtu.be/i7dNXRZhGiI
“Reading one book is like eating one potato chip.”
―Diane Duane, So You Want to Be a Wizard.

Mary :)📚
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

MaryinArkansas wrote: January 8th, 2021, 9:24 am
KevinS wrote: January 8th, 2021, 8:59 am Speaking of impossible goals, I hope to appear learnéd and sheek.

You can also be Sheik, Kevin. https://youtu.be/i7dNXRZhGiI
Sign me up! No hooka, though.
SonOfTheExiles

Post by SonOfTheExiles »

Actually, I have decided to expand my 2021 goals and drag the old manual typewriter on which I wrote my uni term papers out of the garage.

Imagine all the cardiovascular benefits of pounding on that old thing.

Because of course it goes without saying that I have to maintain my girlish figure.

That ought to be good for a few nightmares on your parts. :lol:

Cheers,
Chris
Currently on sabbatical from Librivox