COMPLETE: Ships That Pass in the Night by Beatrice Harraden -jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

rerikaj wrote: January 6th, 2021, 1:42 pm Looks like Section 13 was claimed by someone else? No worries. I'll claim 19, if that's okay.
I apologize for that! I thought that I'd signed you up for that section the other day, and then I forgot when I saw the later claim and didn't see anything in the MW. I'm not sure what happened there, but since you claimed it first, you can still have it. I've put you down for 19 as well (and I double-checked that it's showing up in the MW).
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jrob1385 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:27 am Hello: Can I claim chapters 13-15? Thank you!
I apologize - chapter 13 had already been claimed, but due to an oversight on my part, it wasn't showing up in the MW. 14 and 15 are all yours, though, and feel free to claim another section as well!
For the time being, I'll need a little more time than usual to PL sections that come in on weekdays. Thanks for your patience.

Sarah
rerikaj

Post by rerikaj »

Scarbo wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:03 pm
jrob1385 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 10:27 am Hello: Can I claim chapters 13-15? Thank you!
I apologize - chapter 13 had already been claimed, but due to an oversight on my part, it wasn't showing up in the MW. 14 and 15 are all yours, though, and feel free to claim another section as well!
I don't mean to cause problems or complications! I haven't started Chapter 13 yet, so if jrob1385 already has it's totally fine and he/she can continue with it.
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

dolphin4 wrote: January 6th, 2021, 1:43 pm May I have Section 17? Thank you
I'm sorry for missing your post earlier - I'll sign you up for section 17, and thank you! I have a few suggestions before you start recording:

First, if you could record a 1-minute test and post it to the Listeners & Editors Wanted forum, you'll get feedback on the technical setup of your recording software. It's not an audition, and it's not required, but it is helpful so that you know that the tech specs are correct before you do an official recording!

Second, chapter 17 is one of the longer chapters of this book, so I'd recommend starting out with a shorter section so that you get the hang of the recording and editing process before recording a longer chapter. Feel free to claim one of the shorter chapters of this book, say, around 1,700 words or fewer.

After claiming, you have two months to record a section, so that should give you plenty of time to start out with something shorter and then record chapter 17. In the meantime, let me know if you have any questions!

One more thing: could you let me know what name you'd like to be listed under in the LV catalog? Thanks!

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

rerikaj wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm
I don't mean to cause problems or complications! I haven't started Chapter 13 yet, so if jrob1385 already has it's totally fine and he/she can continue with it.
You're not causing problems at all! :) It was my error.

Sarah
alily

Post by alily »

hello scarbo, i've uploaded my recording for the chapter 10 .
i had a blast reading and can't wait for the finished result! :lol:

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden.mp3
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

alily wrote: January 7th, 2021, 7:42 am hello scarbo, i've uploaded my recording for the chapter 10 .

https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight_10_harraden.mp3
Thank you, Lysa! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wanted to let you know about a few things I found running the file through Checker that will need to be corrected:

- First, I'm seeing an error message that the bit rate, which is ~105 kbps (variable), should be 128 kbps.

- The recording uses a variable bit rate, but it should use a constant bit rate.

- Also, the recording is in stereo sound, but it should be in mono. For the two things mentioned above, I don't think you would need to re-record, but I'm not sure about this one. I hope not, because I know you put a lot of work into this! However, I would ask about it in the Need Help? Got Advice? forum. Someone who knows more about the technical side of recording software than I do will be able to help you there. You can also ask about changing the bit rate there.

- The target volume range is around 88-92 dB, but the volume for this file is 95.4 dB.

- The file name needs to end with "_128kb" (that is, after "harraden" and before ".mp3").

- The recording needs to have around five seconds of silence at the very end.

I wanted to bring these up before Kevin starts proof-listening in case by any chance you would need to re-record the chapter. Again, I know how much effort goes into recording, so I hope you don't have to!

Sarah
GJConover

Post by GJConover »

CLAIM Part I, Chapter 18

GJConover
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Scarbo wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:07 am
alily wrote: January 7th, 2021, 7:42 am hello scarbo, i've uploaded my recording for the chapter 10 .

Thank you, Lysa! I'm glad you enjoyed it! I wanted to let you know about a few things I found running the file through Checker that will need to be corrected:

- First, I'm seeing an error message that the bit rate, which is ~105 kbps (variable), should be 128 kbps.

- The recording uses a variable bit rate, but it should use a constant bit rate.

- Also, the recording is in stereo sound, but it should be in mono. For the two things mentioned above, I don't think you would need to re-record, but I'm not sure about this one. I hope not, because I know you put a lot of work into this! However, I would ask about it in the Need Help? Got Advice? forum. Someone who knows more about the technical side of recording software than I do will be able to help you there. You can also ask about changing the bit rate there.

- The target volume range is around 88-92 dB, but the volume for this file is 95.4 dB.

- The file name needs to end with "_128kb" (that is, after "harraden" and before ".mp3").

I wanted to bring these up before Kevin starts proof-listening in case by any chance you would need to re-record the chapter. Again, I know how much effort goes into recording, so I hope you don't have to!
Lysa-

Assuming you are using Audacity, reopen your file in Audacity, then select the entire tract (Select All or ctrl-A), then under tracks select Mix- Mix stereo down to mono

For future recordings, set Audacity to record in mono as follows
Edit - Preferences - Devices
Under the Recording section you should see your microphone listed as the device. Under that set Channels to 1 (Mono).

With the track still highlighted, make the changes to volume and then add the silence to the end.

Reexport your recording to mp3. You set the bitrate at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown
Check the box to Force Export to mono
Jo
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

Thank you, Jo! It's good to know that the bit rate and mono/stereo setting can be fixed without a re-record.

Sarah
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

GJConover wrote: January 7th, 2021, 1:06 pm CLAIM Part I, Chapter 18

GJConover
I'll sign you up, thank you! Since you've claimed several sections, I'd like to make a suggestion that I've given to several other new readers on this project: I'd recommend recording one of the shorter sections first. That way, you'll be starting out working with a shorter file while getting the hang of the editing process.

Sarah
jrob1385

Post by jrob1385 »

Scarbo wrote: January 6th, 2021, 6:48 pm
rerikaj wrote: January 6th, 2021, 2:40 pm

You're not causing problems at all! :) It was my error.
No problem at all; I'll unclaim chapter 13 just to ensure no duplicative effort! Will go ahead with 14 and 15. :)
Scarbo

Post by Scarbo »

jrob1385 wrote: January 7th, 2021, 7:19 pm
No problem at all; I'll unclaim chapter 13 just to ensure no duplicative effort! Will go ahead with 14 and 15. :)
Thank you! Again, I apologize for my oversight. You're welcome to claim the last remaining chapter as a third section. :)

Sarah
jrob1385

Post by jrob1385 »

alily

Post by alily »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 7th, 2021, 2:16 pm
Scarbo wrote: January 7th, 2021, 11:07 am

Lysa-

Assuming you are using Audacity, reopen your file in Audacity, then select the entire tract (Select All or ctrl-A), then under tracks select Mix- Mix stereo down to mono

For future recordings, set Audacity to record in mono as follows
Edit - Preferences - Devices
Under the Recording section you should see your microphone listed as the device. Under that set Channels to 1 (Mono).

With the track still highlighted, make the changes to volume and then add the silence to the end.

Reexport your recording to mp3. You set the bitrate at the bottom of the export window under Format Options.

Bit Rate Mode: Constant
Quality - select 128 kbps from the dropdown
Check the box to Force Export to mono

Hello Scarbo
i think i managed to make the change in volume now
i made all the other changes, i only just found the option to add silence, i had to adjust the amplification before :oops:

here's the new link, let me know if i need to modify it furthur
https://librivox.org/uploads/knotyouraveragejo/shipsthatpassinthenight-10-harreden-128kb.mp3