COMPLETE The Intermediate Sex by Edward Carpenter - rap

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 3rd, 2021, 11:50 am

Just wanted to confirm that I'm still working on this. Life during quarantine (plus homeschooling, family dilemmas, and a divorce) have made recording difficult. But I still want to finish this project out.

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10838
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » January 3rd, 2021, 12:34 pm

Glad to hear from you Chuck!

ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 6th, 2021, 2:42 pm


ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 10th, 2021, 9:27 am


Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10838
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » January 10th, 2021, 10:47 am

Well done, Chuck! One to go!

DACSoft
Posts: 1408
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 8:51 am
Location: Connecticut, US

Post by DACSoft » January 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm

Hi Chuck,

Just a head's up. I'm about half way through PLing Chapter 3. The chapter is just about less than 2 minutes from the max 72 minute per recording. I found a skipped paragraph which needs to be included (about 3 screens long on my Kindle Paperwhite), which may cause the recording to exceed 72 minutes. That might mean that the chapter may need to be split. Rapunzelina may know for sure.

I should have the rest of the chapter PLed today or tomorrow with the specifics.

FYI,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

Rapunzelina
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 10838
Joined: November 15th, 2011, 3:47 am

Post by Rapunzelina » January 10th, 2021, 1:59 pm

I think it will be ok. There are some audio CDs that can fit 80 minutes, though the most common kind, I think, is the 74minute CDs.

ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 10th, 2021, 2:51 pm

DACSoft wrote:
January 10th, 2021, 1:21 pm
Hi Chuck,

Just a head's up. I'm about half way through PLing Chapter 3. The chapter is just about less than 2 minutes from the max 72 minute per recording. I found a skipped paragraph which needs to be included (about 3 screens long on my Kindle Paperwhite), which may cause the recording to exceed 72 minutes. That might mean that the chapter may need to be split. Rapunzelina may know for sure.

I should have the rest of the chapter PLed today or tomorrow with the specifics.

FYI,
Thanks for catching that. There was a HUUUUUUGE gap between recording the first half of this chapter and the second, which I worried might have caused me to make some mistakes. I wanted to go through it before uploading it here, but figured it would be fine. I'm really glad you did your due diligence on this one. Thanks!

And I'll happily patch that section in whenever you're done PL-ing this beast.

DACSoft
Posts: 1408
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 8:51 am
Location: Connecticut, US

Post by DACSoft » January 13th, 2021, 1:29 pm

All good intentions get interrupted by RL. :) Here are the notes.

Chapter 3 PL notes:

@45:22: Missing paragraph (beginning and end in red):
"… love of a person of the opposite sex.

"If then the physical element which is sometimes present …
… drives intimacies down into less open and unexceptionable channels.

"With regard to this physical element …"

@46:46, the phrase: "And I am inclined to think that the homogenic in…" repeated @ 46:50

@46:56: Repeat: "… would be in the long run tend … would be in the long run … would in the long run tend …"

@52:00: Missing phrase: "… such relations as those indicated the physical probably had some share, yet it did not at that time …"

Fortunately the author included only one long chapter. :D

ETA: The volume for Chapter 3 is borderline low (86.1dB per Checker). Your edits may bring the volume lower (out of range) so you'll probably want to check it again before submitting.

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

DACSoft
Posts: 1408
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 8:51 am
Location: Connecticut, US

Post by DACSoft » January 13th, 2021, 2:42 pm

... And since I delayed the PL for Chapter 3, here's Chapter 4 also. :)

Chapter 4 PL notes:

Technical: Volume is fairly low at 84.6 (according to Checker). You should amplify by about 4dB.

@05:04: Repeat: "It is not necessary, however, to quote authorities on a … repeated @ 5:09

@11:05: Repeat: "… in what was acknowledged to be a …" repeated @ 11:08

@20:50: Missing phrase:
"… or another get to satisfy it.
The process is really a mental one. Desire--except in some abnormal …"

Overall, I like you narration very much. Keep up the good work!

Thank you,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 13th, 2021, 6:47 pm

DACSoft wrote:
January 13th, 2021, 2:42 pm
... And since I delayed the PL for Chapter 3, here's Chapter 4 also. :)

Chapter 4 PL notes:

Technical: Volume is fairly low at 84.6 (according to Checker). You should amplify by about 4dB.

@05:04: Repeat: "It is not necessary, however, to quote authorities on a … repeated @ 5:09

@11:05: Repeat: "… in what was acknowledged to be a …" repeated @ 11:08

@20:50: Missing phrase:
"… or another get to satisfy it.
The process is really a mental one. Desire--except in some abnormal …"

Overall, I like you narration very much. Keep up the good work!

Thank you,
THANK YOU! I'm glad you have such a discerning ear. I'm a little embarrassed by some of these errors. :oops:

I fixed up Chapter 4 and recorded the missing paragraph for Chapter 3. I'll edit that together and upload it tomorrow, along with Chapter 5 (which is recorded but needs editing).

Thanks again!

https://librivox.org/uploads/rapunzelina/intermediatesex_04_carpenter_128kb.mp3 [38:12]

ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 14th, 2021, 11:46 am


DACSoft
Posts: 1408
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 8:51 am
Location: Connecticut, US

Post by DACSoft » January 14th, 2021, 2:10 pm

Hi Chuck,

As I predicted (from editing my own recordings for fixes), the volume for Chapter 3 (now 85.7dB according to Checker) is lower than before, and fell out of the volume range of 86.0db - 92.0db, and rather less than the ideal 89.0dB target. Chapter 4 increased in volume (to 85.6db) but is also too low. Can you amplify each recording by about 3.0dB?

Other than that technical detail, Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK! :)

Thanks,
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

ChuckW
Posts: 3182
Joined: January 22nd, 2012, 7:47 am
Location: The Lonesome Crowded Midwest

Post by ChuckW » January 15th, 2021, 10:51 am

DACSoft wrote:
January 14th, 2021, 2:10 pm
Hi Chuck,

As I predicted (from editing my own recordings for fixes), the volume for Chapter 3 (now 85.7dB according to Checker) is lower than before, and fell out of the volume range of 86.0db - 92.0db, and rather less than the ideal 89.0dB target. Chapter 4 increased in volume (to 85.6db) but is also too low. Can you amplify each recording by about 3.0dB?

Other than that technical detail, Chapters 3 and 4 are PL OK! :)

Thanks,
Whoops! Forgot to boost the audio. Both have been re-uploaded and should be PL OK.

Meanwhile, I have to re-record Chapter 5 because of a weird audio issue. Blergh.

DACSoft
Posts: 1408
Joined: August 17th, 2013, 8:51 am
Location: Connecticut, US

Post by DACSoft » January 15th, 2021, 8:11 pm

Chapters 3 and 4 is PL OK! :thumbs:
Don (DACSoft)
Bringing the Baseball Joe series to audio!

In Progress:
Baseball Joe in the Big League; Left to Themselves
Next up:
Baseball Joe on the Giants; Whispering Tongues; Baseball Joe in the World Series

Post Reply