(Complete) With Links of Steel by Nicholas Carter - lt

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
Lynnet
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Lynnet »

dltrial wrote: January 4th, 2021, 3:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_11_carter_128kb.mp3 12:53:75

Chapter 11 latest attempt
Thank you
I will be gone until approximately June 3 and will catch up on cataloguing and PLing on my return.
In case of emergency, please contact any other MC.

Help us finish:

On the red staircase
~A friend of Marie-Antoinette
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 10:58 pm Chapter 14 for you: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_14_carter_128kb.mp3 (11:35)

Annie
Annie,

Well read, but there are a few things we need to look at:

1:02 which still worked on the slides of the elevator well. I heard wall.

1:54 Nick having made a clean drop into the cellar of the imposing residence. I heard clear.

7:47: The smoke at the bottom had become so dense that Nick no longer could see her, but he felt quite sure that he could put an end to her present murderous game. Left off The smoke at the bottom had become so dense that Nick no longer could see her,

9:35 Then the crash of a heavy door, suddenly closed, and the shooting of bolts, told him that Cervera had prevented pursuit for a time at least. Left off: Then the crash of a heavy door, suddenly closed, and the shooting of bolts

12:17 That must be our next point, and we will lose no time. Left off That must be our next point

13:00 "Well, hardly!" laughed Chick, I heard Very

13:05 You have a very long silent space here, about four seconds. You could easily shorten that to less than a second.

You showed a time of 11:35. Mine showed up as 13:36. :?: Great volume and background noise levels. :clap:

Keep up the good work, and I am looking forward to listening to the corrections.

Wayne

P.S Very interesting accent. At times I heard London, sometimes New York City, sometimes Aussie, sometimes a little Scouse (Liverpool). If you don't mind, where did you get that amazing accent?
Last edited by Kalamareader on January 5th, 2021, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wayne
We never really grow up, we just learn how to act in public. :mrgreen:
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

njgorgen wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 9:47 am Chap 22 - 12m14s Nancy

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_22_carter_128kb.mp3
Great job. Thank you, and remember "Crime Doesn't Pay". And, yes, somebody did, again, come up with Jean Pylotte's secret. :mrgreen:

PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 10:10 pm Chapter 15: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_15_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:48)

Annie
Hi again, Annie,

Unfortunately I have some more work for you to do. :(

:49 They have now struck our trail, I heard tail. I certainly might have heard this incorrectly.

2:00 This door then stood open. I heard either the word up or the word was cut off.

2:50 Near by was a large box of anthracite coal. I heard architecture. Word should be an-thra-site (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/anthracite)

3:03 metal molds I heard rods

3:54 vicious dare-devil I heard she

4:04 and had hurriedly told her confederates I heard confidants.

4:21 her crime Please delete true between her and crime.

4:25 I'll tell you why these Carters are now to be seriously feared," said he . I think that the structure of the sentence adds the idea that 'now', because of Cevera's crime, they are more to be feared.

8:53 Delete repeat.

9:48 Then he'll begin to seek us and our game. I heard And they'll

10:36 and I think the first move may be made this very night. Left out word made

10:40 Delete repeat

12:08 story I heard history

12:53 "If we go lame I heard lamb. I certainly may have misheard.

Keep up the hard work. All of this eventually comes a little easier. I say this, but about two or three months ago I had one that had 22 (twenty-two) corrections in one recording. :shock:

Hope to hear from you soon.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

dltrial wrote: January 4th, 2021, 3:09 pm https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_11_carter_128kb.mp3 12:53:75

Chapter 11 latest attempt
Perfect. Seamless!!! :clap:

Chapter 11 now PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

tommack wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 10:45 pm Thank you for your kind and constructive notes on Chapter 12.

Here is the revised version
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_12_carter_128kb.mp3

Now 12:51

Tom
Tom,

The interior corrections were absolutely spot on. But, in all the excitement of getting those done, you forgot to add the half second or so at the beginning of the recording.

That will be easy, so just do that and resubmit, and you will be able to be done with this one and on to other additions to the LV library. :D

Wayne
Wayne
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kalamareader wrote: January 5th, 2021, 4:43 pm P.S Very interesting accent. At times I heard London, sometimes New York City, sometimes Aussie, sometimes a little Scouse (Liverpool). If you don't mind, where did you get that amazing accent?
I am so embarrassed by how bad these chapters have been. I am so sorry! Maybe this is why 16 is still sitting on my hard drive waiting to be edited, maybe I knew deep down just how terrible it was...

Ah well, new version (must have been looking at a different file when I made the time reading oops...)
https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_14_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:44)

As for my accent, I can honestly say that I have no idea. I have always been told that I have an "American" accent, even though I was born an raised in Melbourne, Aus. I've rarely travelled overseas and when I did it was to Indonesia (no, never Bali) and The Netherlands. I watch far too much television and listen to way too many Audiobooks but aside from that I have no idea. I can to some extent mimic accents that I hear immediately afterward and maybe if I had ever trained in voice skills that could have been something, but I have no idea...

Anyway, enjoy this hopefully far more enjoyable version of Chapter 14!

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kalamareader wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:13 pm 2:00 This door then stood open. I heard either the word up or the word was cut off.
Definitely up... No idea what I was thinking...
Kalamareader wrote: January 5th, 2021, 7:13 pm 12:53 "If we go lame I heard lamb. I certainly may have misheard.
I thought it sound like lame to me, but I rerecorded it anyway. If one person can hear it, chances are others will too... Though for your Spot PL, it was actually at 12:35 not 12:53 :wink:

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_15_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:41)

There you have it. Hopefully all fixed!

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

tommack

Post by tommack »

here is the lengthened version of Chapter 12

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_12_carter_128kb.mp3 now 12:52

Tom
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

And because I am a glutton for punishment here is Chapter 16.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_16_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:34)

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 6th, 2021, 5:30 am And because I am a glutton for punishment here is Chapter 16.

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_16_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:34)

Annie
Annie,

Great work on 14 and 15. Your corrections were seamless. Both very PLOK :thumbs:

Now to 16:

:29 Carter would lose no time in getting a line on the Venner residence. I heard getting to

:46 and the wooded locality and neighboring streets were but poorly lighted. I heard of

1:35 fronting on another street, I heard to *

1:42 both places being but delete repeat

2:22 None visible from this side I heard Not one

2:69 yet he frequently is away from this house overnight." I heard the *

3:52 Stealing closer over the damp greensward, I heard to

5:46 He bought the place at a forced sale some little time ago." Missed word little *

5:57 or that, in attributing to him I heard and

6:53 Without a word delete repeat

7:01 then the report of a pistol, I heard and *

7:15 Delete repeat (almost)

7:34 Both detectives were still fifty yards from the scene of the furious conflict I heard a

7:54 He was panting hard after the conflict, the fake character of which Missing He was panting hard after the conflict,

9:11 and afterward followed him out here." I heard and afterward he followed me out here."

10:10 delete repeat

10:46 They appeared like natural and very perfect stones when I first examined them, Missed word first

11:50 "Quite an art, isn't it?" I heard is

12:15.5 Missed : Pylotte laughed again.

Ending silence about a second too long.

One other little note. Some of the words we use have changed over the ages, and one that you will run into is the word "illumined", which of course is the same as illuminated. It is not worth a correction, but for future reference, here is one to watch for. There are others. That is a bit of the fun of reading older books and plays are the new/old words we learn.

The ones I marked with an '*' are some that don't seem like large problems, but to me they seem to make a difference in the story or an emphasis that makes it a little clearer.

As I have mentioned before, these are not 'word perfect', so some misreads are allowed, but, of course, our goal is to make it as near the text as possible. :D

As for me, I listen to the recording after I have 'edited' it to see if I have missed something. Things still slip through, but maybe not quite as many.

Keep on trying.

Wayne
Wayne
Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

tommack wrote: January 5th, 2021, 10:45 pm here is the lengthened version of Chapter 12

https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_12_carter_128kb.mp3 now 12:52

Tom
Tom,

Chapter 12 PLOK :thumbs:

Wayne
Wayne
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kalamareader wrote: January 6th, 2021, 3:43 pm
One other little note. Some of the words we use have changed over the ages, and one that you will run into is the word "illumined", which of course is the same as illuminated. It is not worth a correction, but for future reference, here is one to watch for. There are others. That is a bit of the fun of reading older books and plays are the new/old words we learn.

The ones I marked with an '*' are some that don't seem like large problems, but to me they seem to make a difference in the story or an emphasis that makes it a little clearer.

As I have mentioned before, these are not 'word perfect', so some misreads are allowed, but, of course, our goal is to make it as near the text as possible. :D

As for me, I listen to the recording after I have 'edited' it to see if I have missed something. Things still slip through, but maybe not quite as many.

Keep on trying.

Wayne
With these 3 chapters I changed the way I recorded and edited. I had been stopping and editing every mistake as they happened... Something I had worked hard to stop doing in my writing and wanted to try here because I only have a limited amount of "silent time" during the day, but plenty of time where I could be doing additional work such as editing... So I would read on, leaving all the errors in (now I'm not that unobservant to miss that many lines... So they were most likely (hopefully) editing errors) and then went back to edit... It was supposed to make my life easier, but I've never had edit list this long after submission, so I think I'll go back to my old way because it made both mine and your jobs so much harder to do it this way!

And here's the new chapter 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_16_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:26)

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Kalamareader

Post by Kalamareader »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 7th, 2021, 3:22 pm
With these 3 chapters I changed the way I recorded and edited. I had been stopping and editing every mistake as they happened... Something I had worked hard to stop doing in my writing and wanted to try here because I only have a limited amount of "silent time" during the day, but plenty of time where I could be doing additional work such as editing... So I would read on, leaving all the errors in (now I'm not that unobservant to miss that many lines... So they were most likely (hopefully) editing errors) and then went back to edit... It was supposed to make my life easier, but I've never had edit list this long after submission, so I think I'll go back to my old way because it made both mine and your jobs so much harder to do it this way!

And here's the new chapter 16: https://librivox.org/uploads/lynnet/linksofsteel_16_carter_128kb.mp3 (13:26)

Annie
Annie,

First we will get to the most import thing: It was, as I suspected, a perfect job of correcting, and again, your corrections were seamless. :clap: Chapter 16 is PLOK :thumbs:

Now as to your other comments. When I started here I did exactly what you were originally doing. I would stop when I caught a mistake, go back and correct it and then continue until I made another one. I then went back, usually directly after, and listened to the recording and then corrected the mistakes that I had missed. As I did that, I would listen to the surrounding recording to make sure it fit in. Then I would go on with the saving, etc. I had been doing that for over a year when I came across a video by (I think) Alan Mapstone on the way he did it by, when catching an error he would 'click' to note the place of the error, and then come back sometime later to correct it. I watched that and thought that I liked the way I was doing it, and have been using *my* (and your) method since. I have found, at least for me, that my voice can change from one day to the next and even sometimes in the same day over the course of few hours, so for me to keep the voice as consistent as possible I try to do all the recording and editing in one sitting. That is one thing I am finding amazing with you, is that you can recreate the voice on the recording so well. So, good luck with your future recordings. You are doing a great job. You are more than welcome to any project I happen to be DPLing.

Wayne
Wayne
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kalamareader wrote: January 7th, 2021, 9:23 pm I have found, at least for me, that my voice can change from one day to the next and even sometimes in the same day over the course of few hours, so for me to keep the voice as consistent as possible I try to do all the recording and editing in one sitting. That is one thing I am finding amazing with you, is that you can recreate the voice on the recording so well. So, good luck with your future recordings. You are doing a great job. You are more than welcome to any project I happen to be DPLing.
Would you believe that for all my life I hated the sound of my voice when recorded? I started here because I wanted a place to practice recording and working with the software because I want to record my own audiobooks somewhere in the very near future. When I did my first project, I was amazed at how I did not sound like myself, especially when I do the dramatic roles I try to do voices (them I edit straight away (and as soon as the PL notes come in always because gods only know if I can redo that voice again...). At the moment, I'm still trying to maximise my available time (and silent, good recording time is so hard to come by).

Anyway, sorry for making these ones so tough on you!

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey