ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

thank you, Jim, for this fast turn-around. Anselm is serene till the end, you gave him a great character here. :thumbs: I enjoyed the whole performance.

Now I only wonder why they mention the Bishop of Winchester in his character description, as it seems to play no role or isn't even mentioned once in the play :lol:

All parts PL ok.

Sonia
I will be on vacation from Wednesday 27 March till Sunday 14 April
and unable to PL during that time. Thank you for your patience.
neecheelok70

Post by neecheelok70 »

Thanks, Sonia. I assumed it was merely historical.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

just choosing at random, since I don't know the play, but I'll read Edols section 9 and 10, unless you'd rather suggest a dfifferent role.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

dltrial wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 1:09 pm just choosing at random, since I don't know the play, but I'll read Edols section 9 and 10, unless you'd rather suggest a dfifferent role.
Welcome to Librivox.

I don't think hardly anyone knows this play. The ploy of putting Shakespeare's name on the title page did no good and it mostly vanished into obscurity. But still, the Arthurian legend bits may be more familiar to some....

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: " Mrs. Moore, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Well, with a name like "Little Antick Spirit," I expected to be able to perform some anticks! And all I get to do is just to pick some clown's pocket! *pout* :evil:

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_antickspirit_4.mp3
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Maybe it was a very difficult pocket, impossible to pick for mere mortal beings.

Thanks, Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

mightyfelix wrote: December 24th, 2020, 12:50 pmWell, with a name like "Little Antick Spirit," I expected to be able to perform some anticks! And all I get to do is just to pick some clown's pocket! *pout* :evil:
https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_antickspirit_4.mp3
oh you thought about "anticks playing". When I saw the name I thought it was an antique spirit :lol: just with a different spelling. Well, whatever it was, you played it mischievously enough ;) all PL ok, lovely ! Thanks

Sonia
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_edols_captain_2_128kb.mp3 00:11:44

Here is Edol's Captain act 2. Only one line so far as I can see.
dltrial

Post by dltrial »

I can't find Edol's captain in act 4.

There is a part labeled as Captain:

Enter Captain.
Prince. Nay, prithee, hear. From whence
art thou?
Cap. From the King Vortiger,

Also only with this one line. Is that the part that is meant?
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Yes, that is what I was thinking for Act 4 Captain. The cast list at the beginning of the text says there are two Edol's Captains - I figured one person could read both parts.

Thanks, Todd
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Could I claim Oswald? Thanks!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
Kitty
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kitty »

dltrial wrote: January 4th, 2021, 4:00 pmhttps://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/birthofmerlin_edols_captain_2_128kb.mp3 00:11:44
Here is Edol's Captain act 2. Only one line so far as I can see.
excellent, thank you for taking part :) indeed, the captain isn't a man of many words, but you took out the most of your scene that you could :thumbs:

Just one small note, but no need to reupload again: for voice credit, "captain" in the singular will suffice. Maybe you can correct it in your next file, then all will be fine.

Thanks, and congrats to your first drama role ! Many more to come hopefully.

Sonia