hello

Get to know your fellow readers and tell us a little about yourself
Hankthedog

Post by Hankthedog »

Hi, I'm new to the community and haven't a clue as to what I'm doing. But I do have some audio equipment with which I'm clumsily experimenting and hope I might one day make a contribution.
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hello Hankthedog,

welcome to LibriVox. Fresh voices are always welcome. If you want to begin to volunteer for recordings, take a look at http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1491 . It is always recommended to start with a short work to get used to the recording process. I recommend that you claim e.g. a chapter of Aesop's fables or contribute a version of the weekly poetry. You can find both in the "Readers Wanted: Short Work" section. If you want to start with recording a chapter of a book, I recommend "War and Peace" ( http://librivox.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1354 ), because that are also very short chapters. If you have any questions, feel free to ask. You will always find help here.

Have fun with your recordings,

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Hankthedog

Post by Hankthedog »

Thanks Rainer. I'm afraid I already volunteered for a chapter of Vanity Fair, though it may be over my head. What do you recommend?
thistlechick

Post by thistlechick »

Hankthedog wrote:Thanks Rainer. I'm afraid I already volunteered for a chapter of Vanity Fair, though it may be over my head. What do you recommend?
That's great that you have jumped right in... no problem with that... take your time and enjoy your reading... let us know if have any questions as you go along =)
~ Betsie
Multiple projects lead to multiple successes!
Cori

Post by Cori »

Heya Hank!

I'd missed that we were doing Vanity Fair ... I tried to read it the book eons ago, but didn't get too far in (doorstop of a thing!)

Have fun with your chapter - I'm looking forward to hearing it.
There's honestly no such thing as a stupid question -- but I'm afraid I can't rule out giving a stupid answer : : To Posterity and Beyond!
raynr

Post by raynr »

Hankthedog wrote:Thanks Rainer. I'm afraid I already volunteered for a chapter of Vanity Fair, though it may be over my head. What do you recommend?
Start with any project you like. The welcome section is an area where everyone tries to drag you to his favourite projects :D, so don't feel guilty if you don't follow the advices. We only recommend not to start with a whole book, because that could be more than you could chew at the beginning, and we want noone to get frustrated. But a single chapter is always good.

Greetings,

Rainer
"Everything in the world exists in order to end in a book." (Stéphane Mallarmé)
Hankthedog

Post by Hankthedog »

Thanks for the help, everybody. I appreciate any help you advice you can offer. I read Vanity Fair some time ago and loved it. A great comic novel. Quite entertaining once you get into it.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

A remarkable amount of this stuff is "quite entertaining once you get into it", Hank. I just now finished reading Chapter 7 of Darwin's Origin of Species and it was remarkably fun, not to mention educational!

A lot of us were turned off in our childhood by being forced to read some of these works for school, but when we come back to them as adults, and particularly when we're put in the position of actually reading every word for an audio book, it's a lot easier to see why they're considered "classics".

Welcome to LibriVox, Hank! Good to see a fellow Floridian in here. It's always good to hear a fresh voice in the mix!
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain
kri

Post by kri »

Chip is totally right. I had to read Heart of Darkness for one of my history classes, although I didn't really complete it. However, it's one of the solo projects I'm doing right now, and I'm really enjoying it much more this time.

Another example of that is The Wife of Bath I recently completed :)
Hankthedog

Post by Hankthedog »

Thanks for the welcome, ChipDoc and Kri. I'm looking forward to hearing some of your recordings. I can't say how much I admire anybody willing to take on reading Chaucer.
ChipDoc

Post by ChipDoc »

You'ld be surprised, Hank. The Chaucer's really not all that difficult to read aloud. The edition we're reading uses the original words, but with modern spellings and the thing has a fairly heavy meter which allows you to guess pretty easily what it SHOULD be sounding like.

Never be afraid to jump into something unfamiliar. You might discover that it's surprisingly enjoyable.
-Chip
Retired to Colorado
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
~Mark Twain