Foreign Languages

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
Piotrek81

Post by Piotrek81 »

Kazbek wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:39 am
Piotrek81 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 8:57 am Also, if you're interested in languages, or want to come back to one(s) you were learning before, my question is what motivates you?
I'm motivated by the sunk cost fallacy. Whenever I invest a significant amount of effort in learning a language, I loathe the idea of abandoning it and forgetting what I had learned, so I have no choice but to continue enjoying world literature in the original. :(

Michael
This is an ideal thread to ask the question which probably some LibriVoxers have asked themselves (I know I have :) ), namely how many lanaguages are you familiar with to the extent that you can use this knowledge here?
Want to hear some PREPARATION TIPS before you press "record"? Listen to THIS and THIS
Kazbek
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Kazbek »

Piotrek81 wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 8:57 am This is an ideal thread to ask the question which probably some LibriVoxers have asked themselves (I know I have :) ), namely how many lanaguages are you familiar with to the extent that you can use this knowledge here?
Ah, so this is my cue to brag! 8-) In descending order of (mostly passive) proficiency, English/Russian, French, German/Italian, Spanish, Arabic, Latin, Ancient Greek, Persian and Chinese. These are the ones I try to keep up, reading/listening to books and such. There are others which I set aside due to time constraints and mostly forgot. I miss some of them very much.

Michael
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

The language I am most familiar with besides English is American Sign Language. Unfortunately (and unsurprisingly), this enhances my LibriVox career not at all! :lol:
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Kazbek wrote: January 3rd, 2021, 7:14 am
If you do an advanced catalog search at HathiTrust.org, checking the box for "Full view only" and selecting a language filter for Indonesian, you get almost 500 results. Generally, the books that are available in full view at HathiTrust are acceptable here, though our admins might take a closer look to vet those published after 1925.

Michael
Thanks for that! I'll see if I can find anything I feel like reading!

Annie
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.