COMPLETE [BIBLE HISTORY] A Class-Book of Old Testament History by George Frederick Maclear-Leni

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
digitizer

Post by digitizer »

Hello
Please can I be assigned Section 75
Reigns of Nebuchadnezzar, Belshazzar, and Darius
Cheers
~ Digitizer
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

digitizer wrote: December 30th, 2020, 11:40 pm Hello
Please see my second submission for review
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/classbookoldtestament_45_maclear_128kb.mp3
Runtime 14m 52s
It has passed the Checker app
Cheers
Thank you!
This is marked Ready for PL, and I've assigned you Section 75.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
digitizer

Post by digitizer »

Hello
Please see my third submission for review
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/classbookoldtestament_75_maclear_128kb.mp3
Runtime 13m 9s
It has passed the Checker app
Cheers
~ Digitizer
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

AltonKane wrote: December 5th, 2020, 2:26 pm Section 10 - History of Joseph uploaded:

https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/classbookoldtestament_10_maclear_128kb.mp3 (16:22)
PL OK :clap:

I have a bit of PL opportunity today... I enjoyed the listen!
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

Some PL notes...
*Distortions of a sort on these words: ~2:02 'doubtless', ~2:41 'suffer', ~2:44 'afterwards', ~4:40 'who' (I'd consider these optional notes.)
~3:23 (Lk. 21:19) I hear Leviticus.
~5:47 text: 'favoured class' I hear flavored. (Made me smile. :) )
~Rosebud
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Thanks, Rosebud, thou prophet. :lol:
~ Larry
todmanning

Post by todmanning »

I'd like to read #46 if possible. This will be my first recording, so please let me know if there is anything I should know before starting. My handle is TodManning. Thank you.
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

I see I've stumbled onto quite the reputation!! :shock: :lol:
~Rosebud
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

RSlabaugh wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:18 pm
Some PL notes...
*Distortions of a sort on these words: ~2:02 'doubtless', ~2:41 'suffer', ~2:44 'afterwards', ~4:40 'who' (I'd consider these optional notes.)
~3:23 (Lk. 21:19) I hear Leviticus.
~5:47 text: 'favoured class' I hear flavored. (Made me smile. :) )
Haha! You heard correctly!

I'll see if I can clean up this mess.
Judges4

Post by Judges4 »

Hey! Could I claim
24 The Great Festivals—The Jewish Calendar
25 Note: Laws of Purity, etc,
26 Civil and Moral Laws
27 Kadesh-Barnea and the Mission of the Spies
28 The Wanderings—Death of Miriam and Aaron
29 Conquest of the East of Jordan—Balaam and Balak
30 War with the Midianites—Death of Moses
31 Note: His Work and Character

I don’t mean to be greedy and claim a lot, but I’d love to see this work up for people to listen to, and since no one has leapt on these in the past month, I’d love to volunteer....

One thing before I start, though: how would you have me read charts? For example, section 24 has a nice big one. I have an idea about how to read it clearly, but it (for obvious reasons) isn't exactly verbatim, since, in my mind, that would be extremely confusing. But, obviously, I can do whatever.
-Jael <><
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

Judges4 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 8:02 pm Hey! Could I claim
24 The Great Festivals—The Jewish Calendar
25 Note: Laws of Purity, etc,
26 Civil and Moral Laws
27 Kadesh-Barnea and the Mission of the Spies
28 The Wanderings—Death of Miriam and Aaron
29 Conquest of the East of Jordan—Balaam and Balak
30 War with the Midianites—Death of Moses
31 Note: His Work and Character

I don’t mean to be greedy and claim a lot, but I’d love to see this work up for people to listen to, and since no one has leapt on these in the past month, I’d love to volunteer....

One thing before I start, though: how would you have me read charts? For example, section 24 has a nice big one. I have an idea about how to read it clearly, but it (for obvious reasons) isn't exactly verbatim, since, in my mind, that would be extremely confusing. But, obviously, I can do whatever.
Yeah, that's pretty greedy. :wink:
There is plenty here to go around, so you are certainly welcome to take these on, with thanks.
I anticipated this would be a long project.

Tables can be a challenge, but a common sense approach can make them more approachable. The most important thing, as I think you have already anticipated, is to make them as intelligible as possible for the listener who has no other frame of reference. Sometimes there are several approaches that can be used depending on the type of data in the tables. for this one, I think I would start at the top and work down, but reading the column title for each row. So it would go something like this:

CALENDAR

Sacred Year, One. Civil Year, Seven. Month, Abib or Nisan etc. English Month, April. Festivals - 14. The Passover, 16. First-fruits of barley-harvest presented. Seasons and Productions Fall of the latter or spring rain etc. And so on for each row.

For rows where there are blank fields, just skip them, not reading the heading, and go to the next field.

Let me know if that makes sense to you.
~ Larry
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

digitizer wrote: December 18th, 2020, 7:01 pm Hello.
Have uploaded my first effort @ 15m 51s
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/classbookoldtestament_14_maclear_128kb.mp3
I selected MC 'leni'.
The recording passed the Checker app.
Please let me know
Cheers
Great readings! Just a few notes on each of your 3 sections... (I'm bolding whatever needs added or changed in some way.)

Section 14:
(These all from point 7 in first post.)
*No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording! (This one has a little over 2 seconds now.)
*"Book [Number]. Chapter [Number] of A Class-Book of Old Testament History. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
*NOTE: Please DO read the Scripture references in parentheses.

Section 45:
*"Book [Number]. Chapter [Number] of A Class-Book of Old Testament History. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
*At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Book [Number]. Chapter [Number]"

Section 75:
*No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording! (This one has @ 1.3 seconds now.)

Again, the reading itself was great! I really enjoyed hearing your Australian accent! :) Let me know if any of these notes are unclear.

Thanks,
~Rosebud
RSlabaugh

Post by RSlabaugh »

todmanning wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:37 pm I'd like to read #46 if possible. This will be my first recording, so please let me know if there is anything I should know before starting. My handle is TodManning. Thank you.
Hello Tod, and welcome to LibriVox!

I think I may have snowed your post in under, sorry! While you wait to be assigned the section here, I'd suggest you read the Newbie Guide to Recording and also get your setup ready by recording and posting your 1-Minute Test. You will need an OK there before starting on a 'real' recording, to ensure that your technical settings are all in line. Larry should be along after a bit to enter your claim.

Happy New Year, and Happy LibriVoxing! :)
Last edited by RSlabaugh on January 3rd, 2021, 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
~Rosebud
Owlivia

Post by Owlivia »

Mindful of the historic dietary restrictions of those whose sacred texts we are reading,
🐷
yet not wanting to miss out,
may I claim
Sections
48, 49, and 50 (David)
and
74 - Daniel and Nebuchadnezzar
?

To quote my 3rd Grade teacher, Mrs. Nelson: "If you snooze, you loose." :lol:

Owlivia/Deborah
Owlivia/Deborah

🦉
digitizer

Post by digitizer »

RSlabaugh wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:16 pm
digitizer wrote: December 18th, 2020, 7:01 pm Hello.
Have uploaded my first effort @ 15m 51s
https://librivox.org/uploads/leni/classbookoldtestament_14_maclear_128kb.mp3
I selected MC 'leni'.
The recording passed the Checker app.
Please let me know
Cheers
Great readings! Just a few notes on each of your 3 sections... (I'm bolding whatever needs added or changed in some way.)

Section 14:
(These all from point 7 in first post.)
*No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording! (This one has a little over 2 seconds now.)

Section 45:
*At the end of the section, say:
"End of [Book [Number]. Chapter [Number]"

Section 75:
*No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording! (This one has @ 1.3 seconds now.)

Again, the reading itself was great! I really enjoyed hearing your Australian accent! :) Let me know if any of these notes are unclear.

Thanks,
Hi Rosebud
Thank you for the clear and concise feedback. Makes it much easier to address.
I do have two questions re the referencing of cited scripture in parentheses.
1) I assume I am just to read the reference and NOT the scripture itself?
2) Some of the scripture references are confusing and I think it is important o ensure I state them correctly. Some examples below for your thoughts please. For example, I read (Ex v, 4) as Exodus chapter 5 verse 4. Where the book abbreviation is logical, the roman numeral is the chapter and the last number/s, the verse/s. However....

Section 14:
Part (vii) "The fire ran along upon the ground, the hail rattled, and smote the vines and fig-trees (Ps. cv. 33)". I am reading this as Psalm 105 vs 33. Is this correct?

Section 45:
Sixth paragraph. "and Samuel rose up and returned to Ramah. (See Ps. 1xxviii. 70–72.)". The "1" preceding the roman numerals appears in a number of scripture references in my readings. I am not sure how to read that as each attempt at verifying the context of scripture does not seem to match.

Section 75:
Second to last paragraph. "thus fulfilling the prophecies of Isaiah (xxi. 9; x1v. 1) and Jeremiah (1i. 31–39). Again the presence of the "1" associated with the roman numerals. I am unsure how to read these.

Thanks again
digitizer.
~ Digitizer