Don't you hate...

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Does that work when they decide to sit down and then roll over or sprawl out on the keyboard? :hmm: My older cat does that?! :help:
DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

barbara2 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 3:50 am
You folks are writers? I guess you've investigated syncing to a Cloud Service?
All of my stuff auto backs up (even the mistakes... Had to go back to an older version! Learner my lesson long ago on that front!
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

I'm grateful to only deal with dogs -- lots of dogs, since I do in-home/overnight dogsitting -- but I'm allergic to cats so I can only take clients with dogs only, or dogs plus random other pets (I've take care of guinea pigs, a turtle, fish, parrotlets, and backyard chickens. And I've fed outdoor/feral cats and even raccoons and possums and filled bird feeders for some tender-hearted clients. I'm full service, baby!

Anyway, the worst the dogs do is come in and bark at me for attention, or stick their big heads in my lap. I'm not a puppy person, I suppose chewing is a risk if you have young ones but so far, so good.

I think I've mentioned here before that one of my regulars is a westie with a very jingly collar, and I was recording one day when she came in quietly to the office where I was and hung out for several minutes without me noticing, then suddenly shook herself and her collar made its noise, and I jumped and looked behind me as she trotted out of the room. Several days later I was at my own house editing the recording, and I hit that section and jumped again -- it sounded for all the world like the dog was right there behind me!

I also had struggles with my Joey, a chihuahua-minpin mix (minhuahua?). in her last year as she developed an ever more chronic cough due to collapsing trachea. Sadly, she passed in September one month shy of her 17th birthday, so she had a good long life. It wasnn't even the trachea that took her out either; she'd also developed mast cell cancer on her leg and we received a terminal diagnosis in February just before lockdown - doc predicted 4-6 weeks but she lasted over 6 more months and since we were at home the whole time I got to spend so much more time with her than I would have otherwise. A small silver lining in a very dark year.

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

No matter where you go, there you are. -- Buckaroo Banzai
Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

“In uncorruptness,” -- I just had this one repeatedly. Uncorrupted and incorruptible are no problems, but...

Peace be with you,
Sister
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Monaxi wrote: January 1st, 2021, 10:32 am “In uncorruptness,” -- I just had this one repeatedly. Uncorrupted and incorruptible are no problems, but...
UGH that would never make it past an editor these days! Or at least not me, when I have my editor hat on.

My sympathies,
Colleen
Colleen McMahon

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

barbara2 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 3:50 am
AngeliqueAnja wrote: December 31st, 2020, 10:31 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: December 31st, 2020, 9:11 pm
I’m a writer too and yes, my 20 pound tabby once deleted like two whole chapters of my in-progress book :lol: :roll: I guess that’s what comes with being a cat parent.
Oh man... 2 chapters.... mine was only a paragraph... But the other cat did crash Audacity ruining almost an hours worth of work...
Oh dear. My ginger boy tries to eat the desktop computer - nibbles little bits of it, is partial to cables....

You folks are writers? I guess you've investigated syncing to a Cloud Service?

Best,

Barbara
I use Google docs. Embarrassingly enough, I had forgotten that the Undo button existed so when my cat deleted two chapters I spent the next couple days rewriting everything. :oops:
Normally I actually prefer handwriting everything in my notebooks, that way cats can’t delete everything. They can, however, rip the pages, which they’ve done on multiple occasions.
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Oh... I thought of one more thing I really hate!

Me!

Not me in general, but my self editor. Everytime I make a mistake, I go back and fix it, right there and then. In itself, not so bad, but this means recording can take 3 or 4 times longer to than it should and I only have a limited amount of recording suitable time, but plenty of time that I could edit in...

I was the same with my writing (a bad thing when you regularly take part in NaNoWriMo!) I'm working on it!
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

Monaxi

Post by Monaxi »

I hate having a tooth ache and wondering if I'll be able to save the tooth and how losing it will effect my reading. My dentist appointment is Tuesday.

Peace be with you,
Sister
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 12:38 pm Oh... I thought of one more thing I really hate!

Me!

Not me in general, but my self editor. Everytime I make a mistake, I go back and fix it, right there and then. In itself, not so bad, but this means recording can take 3 or 4 times longer to than it should and I only have a limited amount of recording suitable time, but plenty of time that I could edit in...

I was the same with my writing (a bad thing when you regularly take part in NaNoWriMo!) I'm working on it!
I wonder if you would benefit from doing punch and roll. viewtopic.php?p=1826251#p1826251
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

JayKitty76 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:41 pm I use Google docs. Embarrassingly enough, I had forgotten that the Undo button existed so when my cat deleted two chapters I spent the next couple days rewriting everything. :oops:
Normally I actually prefer handwriting everything in my notebooks, that way cats can’t delete everything. They can, however, rip the pages, which they’ve done on multiple occasions.
Your cats sound like very stern editors.
JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

KevinS wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:08 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: January 1st, 2021, 2:41 pm I use Google docs. Embarrassingly enough, I had forgotten that the Undo button existed so when my cat deleted two chapters I spent the next couple days rewriting everything. :oops:
Your cats sound like very stern editors.
I never thought of it like that. Maybe there’s a method to the madness after all. I wonder what they’re trying to tell me. :lol: :oops:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

JayKitty76 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:29 pm
I never thought of it like that. Maybe there’s a method to the madness after all. I wonder what they’re trying to tell me. :lol: :oops:
I use Word/OneDrive, which also has undo button (not that I thought of it that day either)... I wound up having to load an earlier version I think...

I don't handwrite my stories, there's far too much risk that I'll lose them, not being able to read my own handwriting!

Annie
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

JayKitty76

Post by JayKitty76 »

AngeliqueAnja wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:01 pm
JayKitty76 wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:29 pm
I use Word/OneDrive, which also has undo button (not that I thought of it that day either)... I wound up having to load an earlier version I think...

I don't handwrite my stories, there's far too much risk that I'll lose them, not being able to read my own handwriting!

Annie
Hahahahaha I’ve been handwriting stories my whole life, so it’s not as much of a problem that I can’t read my handwriting as the fact that I make myself keep writing despite the cramp in my hand... :roll:

In all seriousness, though, I find that in the act of writing things out I think more clearly and, consequently, my stories are better. Typing on a computer keyboard is just too fast, my thoughts can’t keep up with my hands. :wink:
~ 𝚘𝚗 𝚑𝚒𝚊𝚝𝚞𝚜 ~
ColleenMc
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ColleenMc »

Me: (spends an hour looking up pronunciations of Czech and Hungarian words and names and writing down phonetic spellings for a history chapter.)

Me: (Sets up recording, gets mike just right, reads intro, adjusts mike, adjusts ipad with text, adjusts ipad holder for perfect angle.)

Me: (Takes a deep breath and reads three words of the first sentence.)

Neighbor: I SHALL BLOW ALL THE LEAVES!

Me: (Sighs, cusses, stops recorder, edits out cusses, saves file, goes off to do something else.)

Colleen
Colleen McMahon

AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

Helicopters! I lost an entire paragraph today because the damned thing showed up, left, came back... Argh!!! :twisted:
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey