Solo: Question regarding footnotes in folk tale collections

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
Tsinaymel

Post by Tsinaymel »

I have been reviewing folk tale collections and will make a proposal soon. I do have a question before I do.
How does a reader handle footnotes and other explanatory notes?

Here is an example:

"...Beautiful vases and lacquer boxes adorned the tokonoma[1] of every room."

[1] An alcove where precious objects are displayed.

Should the reader read 1st sentence, pause, and then say "Note to reader: A tokonomai is an alcove where precious objects are displaged." and then continue to narrate?

Does the reader have some.discretion in how the footnotes should be read/incorporated into reading?

Thank you.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

Footnotes can be optional or read at the reader's discretion. I would include ones with useful information like the one you use in your example, but generally not those which simply reference a source or other page in the book.

You can read them where they appear in the text or at the end of the sentence. Say

"Footnote. An alcove where precious objects are displayed. End Footnote"

In this example, however, you could also just add the note into the sentence without indicating that it is a footnote -

"Beautiful vases and lacquer boxes adorned the tokonoma, an alcove where precious objects are displayed, of every room."
Jo
Tsinaymel

Post by Tsinaymel »

knotyouraveragejo wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 10:16 am Footnotes can be optional or read at the reader's discretion. I would include ones with useful information like the one you use in your example, but generally not those which simply reference a source or other page in the book.

You can read them where they appear in the text or at the end of the sentence. Say

"Footnote. An alcove where precious objects are displayed. End Footnote"

In this example, however, you could also just add the note into the sentence without indicating that it is a footnote -

"Beautiful vases and lacquer boxes adorned the tokonoma, an alcove where precious objects are displayed, of every room."

The flexibility is much appreciated, thanks!!