[EDITING] [DramReading] The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald-mtf

Plays and other dramatic works
EltonTheSnowman

Post by EltonTheSnowman »

Hi, I’d like to claim Myrtle Wilson :)
Matea Bracic

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read.”
-Groucho Marx
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The great who?? ;)

It strikes me that the real challenge here is finding a 1925 dated scan. Not sure if the PG guys are on the job (I'm sure they are) but in the interim, the internet seems devoid of material for some reason.
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: January 1st, 2021, 9:13 pm Wow, lots of excitement building, as expected. I'll admit, when I read this book in high school, I hated it. When I read it again 6 or 8 years ago, I still disliked it, although I could kind of see what others saw in it. I'm not sure I'll ever really like it...

However, I'm totally willing to MC for you. :D I do need to see the text you're using, though. The link you have here is to The Story Girl. :wink:
Sorry about that. I used the template for "Dramatic" and ended up with the template for plays (so I copied/pasted the text from The Story Girl). I think we need a template just for dramatic readings. I didn't want to choose "collaborative" because then I was afraid the project would be labeled as "collaborative" once it's archived. (Or maybe that's a totally different process?. The mixed labeling of dramatic readings on Librivox has bothered me for a while. When I search for dramatic readings on Librivox, sometimes they're labeled "collaborative" and sometimes "dramatic". While I love solo readings and dramatic readings, I do not like to listen to readings that change readers each chapter -- it destroys the illusion of an integral story for me. So when I see "collaborative", I first have to open the page to see whether or not it's a dramatic reading or a chapter by chapter collaborative work. It would be easier if dramatic readings were all labeled "dramatic". Just my two-cents worth... :D ). So anyway, the link should be correct now. Thanks!
benderca

Post by benderca »

silverquill wrote: January 1st, 2021, 9:32 pm Well, since we both went to that school in New Haven, I'd be willing to take on Tom, if you think I'll fit. Sounds like you're lining up a great cast.
reecedawg wrote: January 1st, 2021, 10:55 pm I would love to read for Owl Eyes, please and thanks!
retroindiereader wrote: January 1st, 2021, 11:45 pm Could I read for Mr. Gatz?
EltonTheSnowman wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 1:22 am Hi, I’d like to claim Myrtle Wilson :)
Thanks!
Shpadoinkle

Post by Shpadoinkle »

Can I do Man 2 and Elevator Boy?

My voice sounds pretty young, so I don't want to do an older character. I think those two are safe, right?

Do you think I need to worry about a particular accent? I have a "neutral" American English accent, since I'm from WI and now NH for the past decade. :)

I don't believe the characters I've chosen have any particular affectation in their speech... :hmm:
Nate

You’ll see white men cheat black men every day of your life, but remember — whenever a white man does that to a black man, no matter who he is, or how rich, or how fine a family he comes from, that white man is trash.To Kill a Mockingbird
OooThatsNifty

Post by OooThatsNifty »

Could I claim Klipspringer? Thanks!
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H.P. Lovecraft

Readers Wanted: Seen on the Stage, by Clayton Hamilton
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'm waiting for the dust to settle a bit, so to speak, and then will be happy to claim a bit part or two. It would be easier for me to be told what role(s) to play, but that might be more difficult for you. One way or the other, we'll work it out. Looking forward to this, though I was never fond of the novel. (It just didn't strike me the right way, though I suspect I never gave it a fair try.)
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

benderca wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 5:50 am Sorry about that. I used the template for "Dramatic" and ended up with the template for plays (so I copied/pasted the text from The Story Girl). I think we need a template just for dramatic readings. I didn't want to choose "collaborative" because then I was afraid the project would be labeled as "collaborative" once it's archived. (Or maybe that's a totally different process?. The mixed labeling of dramatic readings on Librivox has bothered me for a while. When I search for dramatic readings on Librivox, sometimes they're labeled "collaborative" and sometimes "dramatic". While I love solo readings and dramatic readings, I do not like to listen to readings that change readers each chapter -- it destroys the illusion of an integral story for me. So when I see "collaborative", I first have to open the page to see whether or not it's a dramatic reading or a chapter by chapter collaborative work. It would be easier if dramatic readings were all labeled "dramatic". Just my two-cents worth... :D ). So anyway, the link should be correct now. Thanks!
Ok, I've set up your MW. However, this text still isn't going to cut it. This source came from planetebook.com, which doesn't state which edition they used, so it may have been a newer edition. However, there are, at latest count, at least four different 1925 scans available at archive! :lol: Take your pick.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.184960/
https://archive.org/details/greatgatsby0000unse_c4w8/
https://archive.org/details/the-great-gatsby-1st-ed-1925/
https://archive.org/details/the-great-gatsby_202101/

Of course, I realize that you already prepared your scripts using the copy you linked to. And that should probably be fine, provided that Lynnete is willing to do the final PLs against one of these texts and note any major divergences.
benderca

Post by benderca »

KevinS wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:58 pm I'm waiting for the dust to settle a bit, so to speak, and then will be happy to claim a bit part or two. It would be easier for me to be told what role(s) to play, but that might be more difficult for you. One way or the other, we'll work it out. Looking forward to this, though I was never fond of the novel. (It just didn't strike me the right way, though I suspect I never gave it a fair try.)
How about Michaelis, Kevin? He's one of my favorite characters in the whole book, and one of the only truly charitable characters.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

benderca wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:28 pm
KevinS wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:58 pm I'm waiting for the dust to settle a bit, so to speak, and then will be happy to claim a bit part or two. It would be easier for me to be told what role(s) to play, but that might be more difficult for you. One way or the other, we'll work it out. Looking forward to this, though I was never fond of the novel. (It just didn't strike me the right way, though I suspect I never gave it a fair try.)
How about Michaelis, Kevin? He's one of my favorite characters in the whole book, and one of the only truly charitable characters.
Okay. We'll do it.
benderca

Post by benderca »

Shpadoinkle wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 2:34 pm Can I do Man 2 and Elevator Boy?

My voice sounds pretty young, so I don't want to do an older character. I think those two are safe, right?

Do you think I need to worry about a particular accent? I have a "neutral" American English accent, since I'm from WI and now NH for the past decade. :)

I don't believe the characters I've chosen have any particular affectation in their speech... :hmm:
Your accent will be just fine. :D Since you'll be playing a different person in each chapter, you might want to alter you voice a bit. Have fun with it! :lol:
benderca

Post by benderca »

mightyfelix wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 3:00 pm
Ok, I've set up your MW. However, this text still isn't going to cut it. This source came from planetebook.com, which doesn't state which edition they used, so it may have been a newer edition. However, there are, at latest count, at least four different 1925 scans available at archive! :lol: Take your pick.

https://archive.org/details/in.ernet.dli.2015.184960/
https://archive.org/details/greatgatsby0000unse_c4w8/
https://archive.org/details/the-great-gatsby-1st-ed-1925/
https://archive.org/details/the-great-gatsby_202101/

Of course, I realize that you already prepared your scripts using the copy you linked to. And that should probably be fine, provided that Lynnete is willing to do the final PLs against one of these texts and note any major divergences.
Thanks, Devorah! I didn't actually use that version for my script, but my own E-book, which says 1925. I'll take a look at the archive versions, and pick the best one. Thanks for finding those for me! :D

This is going to be fun! :wink:
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Sounds great, thanks! :D Let me know when you've decided so I can change it in the catalogue as well.
WiltedScribe

Post by WiltedScribe »

I just realized that the bracketed words [OPEN] [DramReading] are included in the catalog listing, so that ought to be fixed, too :lol:
Tomas Peter
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Oh yes, I suppose it should be!

EDIT: Done! Thanks, Tomas.