[COMPLETE] The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona by Pacian of Barcelona (310 - 391) - tg

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona by Pacian of Barcelona (310 - 391). Translated by Charles Henry Collyns (1790 - 1862)

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-extant-works-of-st-pacian-of-barcelona/
Pacian, Bishop of Barcelona in the Pyrenees, of chastened eloquence, eminent for his life as for his writings, wrote various works, of which is the Cervus and against the Novatians. He died lately in the reign of Theodosius, in extreme old age; i.e. before A. 392. He was born then probably about 30 years after the martyrdom of St. Cyprian, was a younger contemporary of Hosius, and through him joined on to the Council of Eliberis, and the restoration of discipline in the Spanish Church. His memory was kept with great affection at Barcelona on May 9, on which he is commemorated in the Martyrologium Romanum, in words taken from St. Jerome. It is of the good Providence of God, that, of the same father, works should have come down, vindicating the doctrine of the Church on penitence, as a doctrine, against the heresy of Novatian, practically, against the neglect of careless sinners. The Epistles to Sympronian and the exhortation to Penitence, combined, shew how compatible are tenderness to the sinner with a strict and, as it would now seem, severe doctrine of penitence; that not earnest calls to a self-avenging and self-chastening penitence, but the denial of its fruits and of the power of the keys, is the essence of Novatianism. Well versed as St. Pacian was in the writings of St. Cyprian, who also insists on the same acts of penitence, his language approaches more both in style and vividness of expostulation to that of Tertullian, whose work on penitence he claims, as having been written by him while a Catholic. It is hoped that from this very combination, his works might be useful in these days, in which, for want of that more frequent special application of the power of the keys, which our Church suggests, any mention of more earnest penitence is thought to partake of the hard and uncompassionating heresy of Novatian. (Preface)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.tertullian.org/fathers/pacian_0_intro.htm
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona. Translated by Charles Henry Collyns. [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona. Translated by Charles Henry Collyns. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona. Translated by Charles Henry Collyns."

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename works_##_pacianofbarcelona_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. works_01_pacianofbarcelona.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: TriciaG
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by InTheDesert on January 2nd, 2021, 12:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
St. Augustine (Vol.6 Psalms 126-150) 96% 2 left!
PL pls: DPL DPL 21 43 27-28
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Man, so many new projects in the Launch Pad! I'll MC this one.

In the intro, you probably don't have to say, "The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona by Pacian of Barcelona, translated by..." but just "The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona, translated by..." would work fine. 8-)
School fiction: David Blaize
Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

TriciaG wrote: December 31st, 2020, 3:56 pm Man, so many new projects in the Launch Pad! I'll MC this one.

In the intro, you probably don't have to say, "The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona by Pacian of Barcelona, translated by..." but just "The Extant Works of St. Pacian of Barcelona, translated by..." would work fine. 8-)
Done! Almost all up.

I made a typo in the project generator - the catalogue has him as Pacin instead of Pacian.
Female Scripture Characters by William Jay (1769 - 1853) 97% 1 left! "The Penitent Sinner Part 2"
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

And I didn't verify/catch that! :oops:

Fixed. :) And moving this to Going Solo before you upload that last chapter!
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

I'll be happy to DPL.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

You're in, Kevin. 8-)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

To be honest, I don't always (or even often) read people's summaries, but you have a typo in yours which I think you will want to correct. It is here: "... self-avenging 3 and self-chastening..."

Pest, am I not?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sections zero, 1, 4, and 5 are PL OK!

Section 2 is probably fine, but I wanted to make sure of the repeat (?) at 3:33 through 3:45.
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Good catch on the repeat (and editing error) and the preface which I have now cleaned up!

Thanks Kevin.
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

Sec. 2 now PL OK!

Sec. 3 PL OK!

Ready for the catalog, I assume.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

Cataloging...
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

This project is now complete! All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-extant-works-of-st-pacian-of-barcelona/
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks all.