Thank you.

Todd
Dalerobbins

Post by Dalerobbins »

I would be delighted to read the role of Tom Cobb, section 1/act 1
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Dalerobbins wrote: January 1st, 2021, 7:49 am I would be delighted to read the role of Tom Cobb, section 1/act 1
Great. Let me note that when you pick a role in a dramatic work here, you pick the entire character. Tom is a big role in this play. Still up for that? I will assume so - let me know if not.

I am glad you finished the one minute test so we are sure that your equipment is set up properly to give us files we can use!

I have a short summary for the important special rules in drama; here goes:

1) you don't have to read an intro or outro disclaimer, this will be done by the narrator. Instead, record your voice credit at the beginning of the file using the words in the MW, which should be something like: "Tom Cobb, Young Surgeon, read by XXXX" (whatever you use for your reader name - your forum name or something else)

2) then browse through the text and record all the lines you have to speak. Also include any "All" lines while your character is on stage. For a big role it may be good to read the entire play to get into character, but at least it would be good to read a bit around your lines, see what the others are saying, so you can better "react" to them. Just be as expressive (according to the character) as you can in your role.

3) if there are pointers in the text qualifying your voice, like [laughs] or [whines], an added bonus would be that you act those out in your reading, if possible, to make it all more interesting.

4) You prepare and upload a separate file for each Act that your character is in. (Note - the section numbers change as I move stuff around on the MW, so remember character name, not section numbers.) Your file will be proof-listened, and you may receive some notes on corrections and their time locations in your file. These will be posted in the forum and show in the Magic Window marked as "See PL Notes" - please cut corrections into your file to update it and upload a new file (SAME NAME) in a reasonable time - like before your voice and equipment setup change and everything sounds different!

5) and most importantly: please leave enough space between each of your speeches, preferably 4-5 seconds or more. Even when you have the stage directions in the middle of your speech (for example: [kisses her hand]), also leave 4-5 seconds of pause there, because our editor (me) later on has to copy all your parts and paste them into his (my) master file and it's helpful if he (me) has enough space to fiddle with

That's it, I think. Just have fun acting out. And post any questions here.

Thanks, Todd
Dalerobbins

Post by Dalerobbins »

Yes and thank you. I have the time to perform the entire role and I shall commence at once.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

alanmapstone wrote: January 1st, 2021, 4:07 am Bulstrode act 2

https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tomcobb_bulstrode_2.mp3
Thank you, Alan! You do an excellent job at making him sound melancholy!

This is PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
WendyKatzHiller

Post by WendyKatzHiller »

Pronunciation question: Caro-lyn or Caro-line?
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Hi, may I read the part of Biddy? :)
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

WendyKatzHiller wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:10 am Pronunciation question: Caro-lyn or Caro-line?
I think "-line" but I don't really care so long as any one reader is consistent within all their files. Different pronunciations by different characters could be accents, foreign background, pet name from when they knew the other character in childhood, etc.

Thanks, Todd
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

ashleighjane wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:24 am Hi, may I read the part of Biddy? :)
Thank you.

Todd
ashleighjane

Post by ashleighjane »

Here's biddy :D https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tomcobb_biddy_1_128kb.mp3 quick turn around as only a couple of lines.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

ashleighjane wrote: January 2nd, 2021, 9:38 am Here's biddy :D https://librivox.org/uploads/toddhw/tomcobb_biddy_1_128kb.mp3 quick turn around as only a couple of lines.
Might have been short but it is Perfectly PL-OK!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
AngeliqueAnja

Post by AngeliqueAnja »

DR: The Mystery of a Hansom Cab (Readers Wanted)
SOLO The Fairy Latchkey

I am without internet at the moment. Not sure for how long.
ToddHW
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by ToddHW »

Thank you.

Todd