Christmas gifts

Everything except LibriVox (yes, this is where knitting gets discussed. Now includes non-LV Volunteers Wanted projects)
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

mightyfelix wrote: December 20th, 2020, 8:14 am Anyone else think they know what they're getting? :mrgreen:
Santa always brings me a lump of coal. But every year I hope for an orange. Hope springs eternal in this season of wonder!
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

HannaPonomarenko wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:03 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:38 pm Whether it be the Christmas Babushka or the New Year's Snegurochka, I've always thought that Russian holiday-season figures' background stories seem to be inherently sad, though in a beautiful sort of way.
Hi) What is Christmas Babushka?)
There is a brief "Babouscka" story included in the LibriVox 2018 Christmas Short Works Collection, here:
https://librivox.org/CSWC-2018-by-various/
commonsparrow3

Post by commonsparrow3 »

mightyfelix wrote: December 20th, 2020, 8:14 am
Anyone else think they know what they're getting? :mrgreen:
I know that I'm getting a webcam. Brian and I were going to skip Christmas gifts entirely this year, given the situation, but he mentioned that he could really use a nice tool chest to keep his scattered mess of tools in one place, but didn't really need it badly enough to buy it for himself, so I said I'd get him one for Christmas. Then he decided, if I was getting him something useful, he should do the same for me. My church group has been meeting on Zoom all year, and I've always been the one who is "heard but not seen", as I have a mic but no camera. So he decided on a webcam for me. The tool chest and webcam are our only Christmas shopping this year, and neither is any surprise, since we both consulted with the other about exactly what sort would suit best. But lack of surprise doesn't seem to matter. We are each getting something we will enjoy and use, and something we might not have gotten for ourselves.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

I am 99% sure my husband is getting me the tools I need to start soldering small pieces of jewelry. He asked for a list of exactly what I needed. I've talked for years about adding soldering to my crafting skills so maybe I'll finally get to do it!
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Wow, that sounds so cool! Also scary, though. It seems dangerous and really easy to mess up. :?
KevinS

Post by KevinS »

jennlea wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:07 pm
I am 99% sure my husband is getting me the tools I need to start soldering small pieces of jewelry. He asked for a list of exactly what I needed. I've talked for years about adding soldering to my crafting skills so maybe I'll finally get to do it!
Next year, maybe you'll get that acetylene torch you've been asking for.
jennlea

Post by jennlea »

KevinS wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:20 pm Next year, maybe you'll get that acetylene torch you've been asking for.
Gotta get used to the micro torch first :shock:
-Jenn B.
My Recordings
HannaPonomarenko

Post by HannaPonomarenko »

commonsparrow3 wrote: December 20th, 2020, 10:46 am
HannaPonomarenko wrote: December 20th, 2020, 3:03 am
SonOfTheExiles wrote: December 19th, 2020, 8:38 pm Whether it be the Christmas Babushka or the New Year's Snegurochka, I've always thought that Russian holiday-season figures' background stories seem to be inherently sad, though in a beautiful sort of way.
Hi) What is Christmas Babushka?)
There is a brief "Babouscka" story included in the LibriVox 2018 Christmas Short Works Collection, here:
https://librivox.org/CSWC-2018-by-various/
Thank you, Maria for the link! It is an interesting text) I can't, of course, say for all Rissian Impire, but as for me the story seems to be made up.
Thanks)