COMPLETE [SOLO/BIBLE] The Explanation of the Apocalypse by The Venerable Bede (673 - 735)-mas

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

The Explanation of the Apocalypse by The Venerable Bede (673 - 735). Translated by Edward Marshall (1815 - 1899)

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page: https://librivox.org/the-explanation-of-the-apocalypse-by-the-venerable-bede/
The Explanation of the Apocalypse by Ven. Beda is the earliest of the many works of our own writers on that Book, and, as such, may well deserve to appear in a form accessible to English readers.

The chief characteristics of Beda's method of exposition may be thus stated. The several visions are considered not to be successive, but contemporaneous, with occasional recapitulations and to represent the condition of the Church in all ages, under different aspects. The thousand years, in the twentieth chapter, are interpreted of the present period of the Church's existence, in accordance with the opinion of St Augustine, in the second part of his De Civitate Dei. The 'attention is closely directed to the text, and to corresponding passages of Holy Scripture, that the meaning of the symbolic language may be elicited. The previous exposition of Tichonius is mainly, but not exclusively followed. Beda appears, for example, to have adopted several opinions from St. Gregory the Great, and Frimasius, as well as St. Augustine.

The date of the "Explanation" is circa. A.D. 710 — 716. It is described by Beda as an "Exposition" but it is called an "Explanation" in the printed editions of his works. (Preface)
  1. Text source (only read from this text!): https://archive.org/details/explanationapoc00bedegoog/page/n12/mode/2up
  2. Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    =
    =
  3. The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of The Explanation of the Apocalypse. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Explanation of the Apocalypse, by The Venerable Bede. Translated by Edward Marshall [Chapter]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of The Explanation of the Apocalypse by The Venerable Bede. Translated by Edward Marshall. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Chapter]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Explanation of the Apocalypse, by The Venerable Bede. Translated by Edward Marshall (1815 - 1899)"

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  4. Example filename explanationapocalypse_##_thevenerablebede_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. explanationapocalypse_01_thevenerablebede_128kb.mp3)

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: maryannspiegel
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.
Last edited by InTheDesert on December 17th, 2020, 2:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Show these neglected projects some love!
Lectures on the History and Principles of Ancient Commerce History
Logic for the Million "a familiar exposition of the art of reasoning"
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

With the truncation of the works of Tertullian and having recorded (though not yet edited) my final section for it, I thought it is time to launch a project which would get some pre-recorded files off my drive.

The dates for the translator comes from here: https://archives.bodleian.ox.ac.uk/repositories/2/resources/1184

Why would you want to DPL this?
  • It's early British writing.
  • It's a commentary on Revelation.
  • He's brief and insightful.
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD, I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 19th, 2020, 2:11 pm ITD, I can MC this for you. I'll get your MW set up.
MaryAnn
Thanks so much MaryAnn!
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

InTheDesert,
I can DPL this for you. Sections 0-2 are PL OK.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks MaryAnn.

Almost all uploaded.

He's sometimes insightful but tends to be piecemeal rather than thinking about the larger plot of Revelation and he's inherited this bad habit from Augustine of making every symbol which he doesn't know what to do with stand for the church...
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

All done.

Bede himself apologises for his speculative comments in chapter 21 about the stones.
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll be working on them this week, and maybe into next week. We'll have company starting tomorrow afternoon, so not sure how much listening time I'll have for the rest of this week ...

MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Many
MaryAnnSpiegel wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 9:40 pm Thanks for the heads up. I'll be working on them this week, and maybe into next week. We'll have company starting tomorrow afternoon, so not sure how much listening time I'll have for the rest of this week ...

MaryAnn
Many thanks! No rush at all (unless you still think you're in the running for the total number of projects this year and need to get the numbers up!)
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

ITD
Would you please check 21 at about 28.17? It's the list of stones, and I think you said one of them twice, with different pronunciations.
Thanks.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And on 17, there's a repeat to be cut at 5.42.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And on 19 at 8.42 there is a repeat ...
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

On 20, repeat at 4.28 and 6.47.
MaryAnn
MaryAnnSpiegel
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by MaryAnnSpiegel »

And once you take care of those clips, the rest of the sections are PL OK and we are ready for the catalog.
MaryAnn
InTheDesert

Post by InTheDesert »

Thanks heaps, sorry that there were so many repeats. Not sure what happened. I should have the eidts done in about 12 hours so we should still make it for December!
Pascal
DPL DPL 17 51 58