COMPLETE: The Roswell Report: Case Closed by James McAndrew - jo

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

The Roswell Report: Case Closed by James McAndrew (1963 - 0).

Volunteers outside the USA: James McAndrew is still living. This work is PD in the U.S. because it is a U.S. government publication. It is still protected by copyright in places like Europe, where copyright is author's death plus 70 years, Australia (author's death plus 70 years for authors who died after 1955) or Canada (author's death plus 50 years), UNLESS the rule of shorter term applies.

This project is now complete. All audio files can be found on our catalog page here:

https://librivox.org/the-roswell-report-case-closed-by-james-mcandrew/

The “Roswell Incident” has assumed a central place in American folklore since the events of the 1940s in a remote area of New Mexico. In July 1994, the Office of the Secretary of the Air Force concluded an exhaustive search for records in response to a General Accounting Office (GAO) inquiry of an event popularly known as the “Roswell Incident.” The focus of the GAO probe...was to determine if the U.S. Air Force, or any other U.S. government agency, possessed information on the alleged crash and recovery of an extraterrestrial vehicle and its alien occupants near Roswell, N.M. in July 1947. Subsequent to the 1994 report, Air Force researchers discovered information that provided a rational explanation for the alleged observations of alien bodies associated with the “Roswell Incident.” This report discusses the results of this further research and identifies the likely sources of the claims of “alien” bodies. (James McAndrew)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/63659
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard

IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!

Magic Window:

BC Admin
    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/War & Military

Keywords that describe the book:

============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Section [number] of The Roswell Report: Case Closed. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "The Roswell Report: Case Closed, by James McAndrew. [Section]"

For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Section [number] of The Roswell Report: Case Closed by James McAndrew. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Section title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of [Section]"
    • If you wish, say:
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of The Roswell Report: Case Closed, by James McAndrew. "

There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename roswellrptcaseclosed_##_mcandrew_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. roswellrptcaseclosed_01_mcandrew_128kb.mp3)

ID3 tags will be added automatically during cataloging.

Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: knotyouraveragejo
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by aeb2468 on January 6th, 2021, 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

I saw this in the Gutenberg New Releases list - looks really interesting! It's not PD for me, so I won't be MC'ing it. But parts 1 and 2 have about 35,000 words or so, so each section won't be less than 72 minutes (to fit on an audio CD). I'd recommend dividing it a bit more, perhaps into 3,000-5,000 word chunks, more or less. Or at the very least, two sections per "part", assuming the parts are about equal in length. :)
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
Humor: My Lady Nicotine
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

So there’s an introduction, 2 sections each with 4 sub-sections, a conclusion, and witness statements and interviews. I guess I would break it down like below:

- Forward, Guide for Readers, and Introduction
- 1.1 The “Crash Sites,” Scenarios, and Research Methods
- 1.2 High Altitude Balloon Dummy Drops
- 1.3 High Altitude Balloon Operations
- 1.4 Comparison of Witnesses Accounts to U.S. Air Force Activities
- 2.1 The “Missing” Nurse and the Pediatrician
- 2.2 Aircraft Accidents
- 2.3 High Altitude Research Projects
- 2.4 Comparison of the Hospital Account to the Balloon Mishap
- Conclusion
- Appendix B - Witness Statements
- Appendix C - Interviews

That would be 12 chapters/sections for recording purposes and organization

This is my first solo project, so I’m not versed on how the backend processes work and could use some guidance and direction.

Thanks.
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by knotyouraveragejo »

First you need an MC to rnter the project into the databae. I can do this for you.

Since this will be your first project as soloist/book coordinator(BC), you will need to set up a password for access to the workflow system so you can enter the information into the section compiler which then appears in the "Magic Window" in the top post. Here are some links to detailed instructions for logging into the system and setting a password the first time, as well as for entering and editing information in the section compiler.

First Time Logging in to the Workflow

Instructions for BCs and DPLs

A version of the above is also in the LibriVox wiki in case you can't access Google Docs for some reason.

BCs - How to Update the Magic Window

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll leave this thread here in the Launch Pad for a day or so longer before I move it to the Going Solo forum, to see if a DPL (Dedicated Prooflistener) volunteers. Looking forward to working with you.
Jo
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

Hello, I'm new so please forgive me if I'm not in the right place. Do I need to wait until this project is moved to 'Solo' before volunteering to be a DPL? Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Not at all...getting a DPL while still in the Launch Pad is always good! :)
Jo
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

:clap: Are there any additional steps I need to take or patiently wait until sections come available to to PL? Thank you.
I bravely venture down those roads less traveled but not without applying sunblock first :wink:
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

You will need to set up a password for the workflow system, and review the steps for changing PL status in the MW, but first I would like to wait for our soloist to check back in before I add you as DPL for the project. :)
Jo
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

Awesome. Thanks, jo, for the instruction and links to my homework. I’ll review the links over the next couple days and get this project underway. DOLZ, happy to have you aboard as a DPL. I think this will be a fun project
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

Roger that and standing by. :)
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

DOLZ wrote: December 16th, 2020, 4:09 pm :clap: Are there any additional steps I need to take or patiently wait until sections come available to to PL? Thank you.
I've added you as DPL, DOLZ. Here is a link your catalog page at https://librivox.org/reader/15446

If you click on the link for Reader Section Details below your username you will find a summary table showing the status of all the sections that you have signed up to read in open projects.  Click on the Click on  to see the sections that are waiting for you to PL in projects like this one where you are the DPL. Click on the thread titles to navigate to the thread on the forum.

Some more info on Prooflistening along with instructions how to set up a password for the workflow system and update the status in the MW can be found at the links below:

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=Guide_for_Proof-listeners

https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php/ProofListening_tips_and_quiz

FAQ for Prooflisteners

If you have any questions, let me know.
Jo
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Moving us to Going Solo. :)
Jo
aeb2468

Post by aeb2468 »

jo, I’ve created my workflow password and reviewed the homework links you provided. Thanks for the info. I’ll spend a bit more time to get comfortable with it. I’m also going to do a closer review of number of sections required for this project. What’s the best way to get at the word count for each section?

DOLZ, I’m finishing up a group project, but hope to start laying the Roswell tracks down first part of next week or sooner if I get some time over the long Christmas weekend
knotyouraveragejo
LibriVox Admin Team

Depending on your browser, there are extensions/apps you can download and install that will count words for any text you select on the screen. For example, I use one called Word Count in Chrome.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/word-count/pnngehidikgomgfjbpffonkeimgbpjlh?hl=en

Similar options are available for other browsers.

Alternately, you can copy and paste the text into Word (or another word processor) and use the built in word counting options. Since this is a solo, you can also just record and split it up as you go along. Sections can be added to or deleted from the MW as needed. :)
Jo
DOLZ

Post by DOLZ »

No worries. Standing by and using the time to familiarize myself with the style and process of ProofListener :D