[DUET] Lamp of Wisdom by William H. Councill-ag

Upcoming books being recorded by a solo reader
silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 11th, 2020, 12:21 pm

Lamp of Wisdom by William H. Councill (1848 - 1909).


William H. Councill, former slave and contemporary of Booker T. Washington was founder of Huntsville Normal School, now Alabama Agricultural and Mechanical University in Normal, Alabama. This book written in a question and answer format is his view of the history or the “Negro Race” from Africa through slavery in the United States, and accomplishments after emancipation, and all fields of culture through near the end of the 19th Century. ( Larry Wilson)
  • Text source (only read from this text!): https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=emu.010001059149&view=1up&seq=7
  • Type of proof-listening required (Note: please read the PL FAQ): standard



    IMPORTANT - soloist, please note: in order to limit the amount of languishing projects (and hence the amount of files on our hard-pressed server), we ask that you post an update at least once a month in your project thread, even if you haven't managed to record anything. If we don't hear from you for three months, your project may be opened up to a group project if a Book Coordinator is found. Files you have completed will be used in this project. If you haven't recorded anything yet, your project will be removed from the forum (contact any admin to see if it can be re-instated).
    Please don't download or listen to files belonging to projects in process (unless you are the BC or PL). Our servers are not set up to handle the greater volume of traffic. Please wait until the project has been completed. Thanks!


    Magic Window:



    BC Admin
    ===========================================


    Genres for the project: *Non-fiction/History/Modern (19th C); *Non-fiction/Social Science (Culture & Anthropology)

    Keywords that describe the book: slavery, africa, anthropology, emancipation, ethnology, underground railroad, negro, african-american history, united states hist, african methodist episcopal church, african methodist episcopal zion church, c.m.e church in ame, negro cumberland presbyterians, beneveolent order of colored professionals

    ============================================
  • The reader will record the following at the beginning and end of each file:
    No more than 0.5 to 1 second of silence at the beginning of the recording!
    START of recording (Intro):
    • "Chapter [number] of Lamp of Wisdom. This is a LibriVox recording. All LibriVox recordings are in the public domain. For more information, or to volunteer, please visit: librivox DOT org"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Say:
      "Lamp of Wisdom, by William H. Councill. [Chapter]"


    For the second and all subsequent sections, you may optionally use the shortened form of this intro disclaimer:
    • "Chapter [number] of Lamp of Wisdom by William H. Councill. This LibriVox recording is in the Public Domain."
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • Only if applicable, say:
      "[Chapter title]"
    END of recording:
    • At the end of the section, say:
      "End of Chapter [Number]"
    • If you wish, say:
      "Recording by [your name], [city, your blog, podcast, web address]"
    • At the end of the book, say (in addition):
      "End of Lamp of Wisdom, by William H. Councill. "

    There should be ~5 seconds silence at the end of the recording.
  • Example filename for completed sections lampofwisdom_##_councill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) where ## is the section number (e.g. lampofwisdom_01_councill_128kb.mp3)
  • Example filename for roles lampofwisdom_[role]_##_councill_128kb.mp3 (all lower-case) (e.g. lampofwisdom_answers_01_councill_128kb.mp3)

    Transfer of files (completed recordings)
    Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link.
    • Upload your file with the LibriVox Uploader: https://librivox.org/login/uploader Image
      (If you have trouble reading the image above, please message an admin)
    • You'll need to select the MC, which for this project is: alg1001
    • When your upload is complete, you will receive a link - please post it in this thread.
    • If this doesn't work, or you have questions, please check our How To Send Your Recording wiki page.

    Any questions?
    Please post below
Last edited by silverquill on December 13th, 2020, 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~ Larry

silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 11th, 2020, 12:23 pm

This is a book written in the Q & A format and will be a DUET with silverquill and sonofcoltas We will PL parts, but will need a DPL for the completed sections.
~ Larry

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9453
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » December 12th, 2020, 11:06 am

Hi Larry,
I'll MC this for you. There was no number of sections needed in the template. I added 3 to start with.
Cheers,
-Amy

silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 12th, 2020, 9:00 pm

alg1001 wrote:
December 12th, 2020, 11:06 am
Hi Larry,
I'll MC this for you. There was no number of sections needed in the template. I added 3 to start with.
Cheers,
-Amy
Oh, thanks so much, Amy!

Well, after all the projects I've set up, and I forgot that! My goodness.
I've added the sections, we need a total of 49, but we need a zero section for the dedication and preface. Can you take care of that?

Another question.
Since there are two of us, we'll be uploading two parts per chapter, then a final edited one. Do we need separate sections in the MW for the parts, or can we just upload them, and post the links in the thread for the parts. So the parts would be something like lampofwisdom_question_01_councill_128kb and lampofwisdom_answer_01_councill_128kb and the completed sections lampofwisdom_01_councill_128kb
Any other suggestion would be happily entertained.
I think I’ll wait until tomorrow to populate
~ Larry

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9453
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » December 13th, 2020, 8:21 pm

Hi Larry,
It has the Section 0 now for the preface. For the 2 files, you could put them in the notes part using html, and then put the finished files in the link part. I added an example in your MW as a test. That would be the best way to do it.

<a href="">Section 2 question</a>
<a href="">Section 2 answer</a>

Thanks,
-Amy

silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 13th, 2020, 10:07 pm

alg1001 wrote:
December 13th, 2020, 8:21 pm
Hi Larry,
It has the Section 0 now for the preface. For the 2 files, you could put them in the notes part using html, and then put the finished files in the link part. I added an example in your MW as a test. That would be the best way to do it.

<a href="">Section 2 question</a>
<a href="">Section 2 answer</a>

Thanks,
-Amy
Aha! An excellent solution. Thanks so much for your expertise. :)

I've populated the MW, but need to review it.

I hope we won't have to bother you too much as we get this one going. I don't think we'll move too fast, but we'll see how it goes.
~ Larry

KevinS
Posts: 10518
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm

I'll be happy to serve as DPL for the completed sections.
Not feeling well. I'll get back to work as soon as possible. My LibriVox: https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13278

silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 14th, 2020, 9:33 pm

KevinS wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm
I'll be happy to serve as DPL for the completed sections.
You would be a most welcome member of this elite team, Kevin~ :wink: :clap:
~ Larry

alg1001
LibriVox Admin Team
Posts: 9453
Joined: January 23rd, 2010, 4:21 pm
Location: Northern Maine

Post by alg1001 » December 14th, 2020, 9:47 pm

Kevin is added as DPL. Over to Going Solo.

KevinS
Posts: 10518
Joined: April 7th, 2019, 8:32 am
Contact:

Post by KevinS » December 14th, 2020, 10:25 pm

silverquill wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 9:33 pm
KevinS wrote:
December 14th, 2020, 2:03 pm
I'll be happy to serve as DPL for the completed sections.
You would be a most welcome member of this elite team, Kevin~ :wink: :clap:
We're like the Hawaiian bob sled team!
Not feeling well. I'll get back to work as soon as possible. My LibriVox: https://librivox.org/sections/readers/13278

sonofcoltas
Posts: 142
Joined: April 23rd, 2020, 6:07 am

Post by sonofcoltas » December 15th, 2020, 8:14 pm

uploaded sec 0 and 1. I did the dedication in section 0. Let me know if this is what you have in mind.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_01_councill_128kb.mp3
6:02

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_00_councill_128kb.mp3
0:56

silverquill
Posts: 16564
Joined: May 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm
Location: Pittsfield, New Hampshire USA

Post by silverquill » December 16th, 2020, 11:50 am

sonofcoltas wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:14 pm
uploaded sec 0 and 1. I did the dedication in section 0. Let me know if this is what you have in mind.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_01_councill_128kb.mp3
6:02

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_00_councill_128kb.mp3
0:56
Sounds good!

We just need to make some changes to the 00 file. Usually we don't say "Chapter Zero." Sounds a bit odd, so we say "preface" "introduction" or whatever. I want to include the Publisher's Announcement," so begin this section, "Dedication, Preface and Publisher's Announcement of "Lamp of Wisdom by William H. Council" After the disclaimer, just say, "Recording by Andrew Kennedy. Dedication" and end with just, "End of Dedication" (I'll add my voice credit with the Preface). Also, I'd like to have a voice credit at the beginning of Chapter One but you can just add it to the end of 00 and I'll edit it into the first chapter "Answers read by Andrew Kennedy" We could add the voice credits to the beginning of each chapter, but that is optional. What do you think?

I'll get something recorded tonight so we can get something over to Kevin for a final proof and get something completed on the board. :thumbs:
~ Larry

sonofcoltas
Posts: 142
Joined: April 23rd, 2020, 6:07 am

Post by sonofcoltas » December 16th, 2020, 2:37 pm

silverquill wrote:
December 16th, 2020, 11:50 am
sonofcoltas wrote:
December 15th, 2020, 8:14 pm
uploaded sec 0 and 1. I did the dedication in section 0. Let me know if this is what you have in mind.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_01_councill_128kb.mp3
6:02

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_00_councill_128kb.mp3
0:56
Sounds good!

We just need to make some changes to the 00 file. Usually we don't say "Chapter Zero." Sounds a bit odd, so we say "preface" "introduction" or whatever. I want to include the Publisher's Announcement," so begin this section, "Dedication, Preface and Publisher's Announcement of "Lamp of Wisdom by William H. Council" After the disclaimer, just say, "Recording by Andrew Kennedy. Dedication" and end with just, "End of Dedication" (I'll add my voice credit with the Preface). Also, I'd like to have a voice credit at the beginning of Chapter One but you can just add it to the end of 00 and I'll edit it into the first chapter "Answers read by Andrew Kennedy" We could add the voice credits to the beginning of each chapter, but that is optional. What do you think?

I'll get something recorded tonight so we can get something over to Kevin for a final proof and get something completed on the board. :thumbs:
Sounds like a plan. Here is the sec 0 upload with the suggested corrections.

https://librivox.org/uploads/alg1001/lampofwisdom_answers_00_councill_128kb.mp3
01:00 length

sonofcoltas
Posts: 142
Joined: April 23rd, 2020, 6:07 am

Post by sonofcoltas » December 19th, 2020, 8:50 am


sonofcoltas
Posts: 142
Joined: April 23rd, 2020, 6:07 am

Post by sonofcoltas » December 20th, 2020, 1:55 pm


Post Reply