--
AvailleAudio.com
Marya999

Post by Marya999 »

Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Marya! Well, I'll be looking for more science projects shortly! :wink:

In the meantime, I should go record my final section here, just in case we'll get this all wrapped up this year still...
Cheers, Ava.
Resident witch of LibriVox, channelling
Granny Weatherwax: "I ain't Nice."

--
AvailleAudio.com
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

I have uploaded chapter 27 - only 2 sections to go! :D

Lots of stuff for your PL-enjoyment Amanda :wink:
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

PL notes:
Section 17: PL OK
Section 29: PL OK
Section 30: PL OK
Nice work!

I saved the longer ones for last, haha. I'll get to them as soon as I can. Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

PL notes:
Section 28: Great reading! The only thing I noticed was a rather long (5 second) pause from 8:35 - 8:40. Outside of the beginning and ending, I didn't hear any other pauses of similar length in your reading, so it stood out to me. I think it might be worth trimming a few seconds off so that it doesn't interrupt the flow too much.
Otherwise no issues. Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
"...a magnificent sulphurous conflagration of Promethean flames blazing in his little heart." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher
Manders375

Post by Manders375 »

Last but not least for PL: Section 27 is PL OK! Thanks!
Amanda Mehl
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Amanda! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
Marvin

Post by Marvin »

Thanks for the notes! I've reuploaded section 28:

https://librivox.org/uploads/availle/historyofastronomy_28_bryant_128kb.mp3

[36:32]
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

Thanks Marvin! :D
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
RoMohr

Post by RoMohr »

Availle wrote: November 5th, 2020, 2:51 am Hi there and welcome to this project!

I see you have not done your test yet, this would be the first thing to get out of the way before you start recording.
Details are in your welcome mail or at this link:
https://wiki.librivox.org/index.php?title=1-Minute_Test

I am holding section 29 for you for a month. Please get back to me when you got an [OK] on your test.

Have fun on here! :D
Hello Availle,
Today is my 'due date' 2 months after I signed up to chapters 18 and 19. I just re-read that you'd hold it for one month, I thought I read somewhere that we have 2 months to record it? Apologies for the delay, I'm having trouble trying to get my recording level high enough with my mic. Any tips on that maybe? (I know how to amplify and noise reduce, as per my test). In the meantime if you want to re-assign these 2 chapters let me know.

Thanks,
Rolf
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

The "on hold for a month" was pending your test. Since you got an ok on it, I assigned them to you for the 2 months as usual - and was ready to orphan them today. :evil:

Your test got okayed, that does include the volume being fine, so what's the problem with it all of a sudden? Have you changed your mic/recording setup/anything else?
There is a slider for mic gain in audacity itself, so if you increase that it may help. If it's not too much difference (a couple dB up or down), you can use the "amplify" effect in audacity; however, this will also increase the background noise if you have any.
If neither does work for you, maybe try another test to see what went wrong? I'm afraid I don't do test checking, so please post it over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted" and wait for feedback/help.

As for this project, well, we're only waiting for your sections to complete it. It would have been nice to tell me about your problems some time before the very last day of your 2-month deadline. :evil:

So how about that: I'll leave you with section 18 (because it's the shorter one) and you have 1 month to turn it in. Okay? If you can't sort out your volume problem or run into any others, please let me know as soon as possible.
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com
RoMohr

Post by RoMohr »

Availle wrote: January 4th, 2021, 5:36 pm The "on hold for a month" was pending your test. Since you got an ok on it, I assigned them to you for the 2 months as usual - and was ready to orphan them today. :evil:

Your test got okayed, that does include the volume being fine, so what's the problem with it all of a sudden? Have you changed your mic/recording setup/anything else?
There is a slider for mic gain in audacity itself, so if you increase that it may help. If it's not too much difference (a couple dB up or down), you can use the "amplify" effect in audacity; however, this will also increase the background noise if you have any.
If neither does work for you, maybe try another test to see what went wrong? I'm afraid I don't do test checking, so please post it over in "Listeners and Editors Wanted" and wait for feedback/help.

As for this project, well, we're only waiting for your sections to complete it. It would have been nice to tell me about your problems some time before the very last day of your 2-month deadline. :evil:

So how about that: I'll leave you with section 18 (because it's the shorter one) and you have 1 month to turn it in. Okay? If you can't sort out your volume problem or run into any others, please let me know as soon as possible.
The reason for my delay is I'm a busy person (I know, not a very original excuse). I didn't know I'd have trouble getting the same quality as my test in advance (I had to do quite a bit of tweaking on my original test, the recording level was only just barely high enough with recording gain set to max). Since I don't know an obvious solution I would suggest giving both chapters to someone else rather than cause further delay. Apologies again and thanks for your suggestions.

Rolf
Availle
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by Availle »

As you prefer.

I'll orphan section 18 and look for a new reader - quick turnaround please!
Cheers, Ava.

--
AvailleAudio.com