Reading from Kindle books

Post your questions & get help from friendly LibriVoxers
msfry

Post by msfry »

Here's a book published 1825, not available on Gutenberg or IA, but available for download as a Kindlebook for $1.99 from Amazon.

What's the problem with reading from this text?
https://www.amazon.com/Instructions-Young-Sportsmen-Relates-Shooting/dp/B000J32TFM
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

That exact edition is here: https://archive.org/details/instructionstoyo00hawkuoft

Kindle placed a shadow image over some handwriting on the title page, but otherwise it's the same edition. :)

The Kindle preview said "This book made available by the Internet Archive". I'm not sure why you couldn't find it there.

But in general, if there were a book available on Kindle but not elsewhere, we'd need a copy/photo of the title page with the copyright/printing date, just like if it were a hard copy being recorded. A regularly rendered text would not work, but this one was a scan of the original pages, so it would have been OK.
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

I wouldn't ever want to use a for-cost text for a group reading. It sets a bad precedent. Sure, 2 dollars isn't much, but it goes counter to our free and open culture, I think, to open a project, but tell people they can only participate if they want to spend real money.

I think that if a soloist wanted to use it, that would be their prerogative. But I think it would only be fair that they understand that their DPL has no obligation to check against the text, and I don't think we would link to the online text in our catalogue. It would be just as if they had read from a hard copy in their own possession.
msfry

Post by msfry »

TriciaG wrote: December 13th, 2020, 11:07 am That exact edition is here: https://archive.org/details/instructionstoyo00hawkuoft

Kindle placed a shadow image over some handwriting on the title page, but otherwise it's the same edition. :)

The Kindle preview said "This book made available by the Internet Archive". I'm not sure why you couldn't find it there.

But in general, if there were a book available on Kindle but not elsewhere, we'd need a copy/photo of the title page with the copyright/printing date, just like if it were a hard copy being recorded. A regularly rendered text would not work, but this one was a scan of the original pages, so it would have been OK.
Good sleuthing! Thanks. I didn't think to "look inside" before I asked my question, and my internet search did not bring up the book on either IA or Gutenberg. I relied on that, rather than actually searching those platforms. In any case, it wouldn't have changed my question.
TriciaG
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by TriciaG »

:)

For the record, I agree with Devorah regarding using a pay-to-view text for a group project. :)
School fiction: David Blaize
America Exploration: The First Four Voyages of Amerigo Vespucci
Serial novel: The Wandering Jew
Medieval England meets Civil War Americans: Centuries Apart
msfry

Post by msfry »

mightyfelix wrote: December 13th, 2020, 11:21 am I wouldn't ever want to use a for-cost text for a group reading. It sets a bad precedent. Sure, 2 dollars isn't much, but it goes counter to our free and open culture, I think, to open a project, but tell people they can only participate if they want to spend real money.

I think that if a soloist wanted to use it, that would be their prerogative. But I think it would only be fair that they understand that their DPL has no obligation to check against the text, and I don't think we would link to the online text in our catalogue. It would be just as if they had read from a hard copy in their own possession.
Thanks. This is interesting information to know, and certainly expands the reading possibilities for a soloist for whom a Kindle book purchase would not cost much. The DPL could sign up only if they don't mind spending $1.99, not an outrageous scenario if they buy Kindle books already and this one interests them. As a group project, I do see the difficulty.
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

Thanks for understanding, Michele. I would like to restate one part of my initial reply that I think you may have missed or misunderstood, though.
mightyfelix wrote: December 13th, 2020, 11:21 am I think that if a soloist wanted to use it, that would be their prerogative. But I think it would only be fair that they understand that their DPL has no obligation to check against the text, and I don't think we would link to the online text in our catalogue. It would be just as if they had read from a hard copy in their own possession.
Just as it's counter to our culture to expect readers for a group project to pay for a text, the same thing goes for potential DPLs. A text like this, just like a hard-copy text, would be standard PL, meaning the DPL would not be required to use or access the text. A soloist should not reject an interested DPL just because that person isn't willing to buy an ebook from Amazon or anywhere else.
msfry

Post by msfry »

mightyfelix wrote: December 13th, 2020, 12:24 pm A soloist should not reject an interested DPL just because that person isn't willing to buy an ebook from Amazon or anywhere else.
I totally understand that, of course. Likewise it is not hard to imagine that someone might be perfectly willing. If I DPL anything, for instance, I always follow the text, not just to check for accuracy in the recording, but because I enjoy the audio so much better with accompanying text, and vice versa. For me, it's a vastly enhanced experience, and might be true for some other people too.
annise
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by annise »

We do not allow any links to commercial sites no matter how cheap or how worthy the project .

Anne
msfry

Post by msfry »

annise wrote: December 13th, 2020, 2:37 pm We do not allow any links to commercial sites no matter how cheap or how worthy the project .

Anne
Understood.