[COMPLETE] Lightfoot, the Leaping Goat by Richard Barnum-mtf

Solo or group recordings that are finished and fully available for listeners
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

mleigh wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:55 am I just looked at this and noticed that you put me down for a different section than the one I requested. I would like to do Chapter 6. I don't mind doing the other one as well (chapter 10) as I do enjoy these books, but I had wanted to give other people a chance to read a chapter.

thanks,

M
Well, I've made the change for now.
If you want to take another chapter later, feel free!
There will always be enough projects to go around.

I've lost my list, but I think there are still some in this series that haven't been recorded.
On the road again, so delays are possible
~ Larry
BESTBEN3

Post by BESTBEN3 »

I will take section 11!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

BESTBEN3 wrote: December 6th, 2020, 8:56 pm I will take section 11!
Thank you for your interest in this project.
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

From the instructions for this, and all, projects under Point 2

New to recording? Please read our Newbie Guide to Recording!

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname
~ Larry
cpburge

Post by cpburge »

Hi, I would love to read Section 4, Lightfoot and the Wagon!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cpburge wrote: December 6th, 2020, 9:41 pm Hi, I would love to read Section 4, Lightfoot and the Wagon!
I repeat the message just above: (Is this information not contained in the welcome message, or people not reading the instructions at the beginning of each project"

===
We do, however, request that our new readers first complete a one-minute test recording to check out all of your technical specifications and any reading issues.

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname
~ Larry
cpburge

Post by cpburge »

I just uploaded the test several minutes ago!
Is there any way that I could go ahead and start recording? I have done the test and would love to get started.
Also, I would prefer to go by Cassadie Paige. Thank you!
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cpburge wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:10 pm I just uploaded the test several minutes ago!
Is there any way that I could go ahead and start recording? I have done the test and would love to get started.
Also, I would prefer to go by Cassadie Paige. Thank you!
Okay, I've left some notes on your test recording, the main issue being that it is in stereo instead of mono.
That is why we do these tests -- to get all of these things corrected before you do a longer recording for a longer project.
I left a few other comments as well that will be helpful.

I do strongly recommend reading through the Newbie Guide to Recording. There is a lot there that will help you get off to a good start. And, be sure to read all of the project instructions in the initial post.

I've already assigned this section to you, so feel free to begin, as long as you are aware of the things that need to be corrected.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
mightyfelix
LibriVox Admin Team

Post by mightyfelix »

cpburge wrote: December 6th, 2020, 10:10 pm Also, I would prefer to go by Cassadie Paige. Thank you!
I've made that change for you. You can take a look here to be sure everything looks ok: https://librivox.org/reader/15395
cpburge

Post by cpburge »

https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/lightfoot_04_barnum_128kb.mp3

Here is my link to my recording! Please let me know how I can improve it or if there are any problems!
Thank you! I am having so much fun with this!
LynSerene

Post by LynSerene »

May I claim Section 7, Lightfoot on the Boat, please?
==================
Lyn
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

cpburge wrote: December 7th, 2020, 12:14 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/lightfoot_04_barnum_128kb.mp3

Here is my link to my recording! Please let me know how I can improve it or if there are any problems!
For now, just this overlooked part of out instructions:
"Please always post in this forum thread when you've sent a file. Also, post the length of the recording (file duration: mm:ss) together with the link."

Just give the file length as mm:ss This helps us a lot.

We'll have a proof listening report for you soon, so stay tuned"
Thank you!
~ Larry
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

LynSerene wrote: December 7th, 2020, 5:39 am May I claim Section 7, Lightfoot on the Boat, please?
Thank you!
I see you've completed your test recording, so I just need to know how how you would like to be listed in the Librivox catalog - real name, pseudonym or any nickname you wish. This is how you will be credited for all of your LV projects, of which I hope there will be many.

Just watch your volume. There is a section on this in our Newbie Guide to Recording, linked under point to of the initial post for this project.

WELCOME TO LIBRIVOX :clap:
~ Larry
loon

Post by loon »

cpburge wrote: December 7th, 2020, 12:14 am https://librivox.org/uploads/mightyfelix/lightfoot_04_barnum_128kb.mp3

OK, at last I'm here to listen to the chapter.

You have trouble with the format of your .mp3 export - the file should be 128 k bits/second constant bit rate (CBR) but what I see is variable bit rate (VBR). I went back and looked at your posts on the 1-minute test and in one you say you gave up on Garage Band and are now using Audacity. One nice thing about Audacity is once you get the settings right the software will use those settings on other projects until you change them.

The rest of your technical matters are fine: opening silence is about 6/10ths second, closing silence is around 7 seconds, mono, overall volume is 87.3 dB (easily in the 86 to 92 dB range).

At ~1:15 the "I" in "I don't want any goat to butt me" gets into clipping - if you listen to it carefully you'll hear that one word sounds distorted. Audacity will show parts of a recording that are loud enough to clip - it's a toggle "Show Clipping (on/off)" in the "View" menu. Fortunately there is just the one clipped spot in your chapter.

So - if you export your chapter again, this time with the encoding set to 128 kbps CBR, and upload it once more, everything should be fine. (Post another message in the forum so I'll know when to check the chapter again.)
Rich Brown - Minneapolis, MN
blairdm

Post by blairdm »

Hi!

We would like to claim chapters 8 and 10.
silverquill

Post by silverquill »

blairdm wrote: December 11th, 2020, 2:31 pm Hi!

We would like to claim chapters 8 and 10.

Among the useful information there you will find instructions for completing your test recording. Once you have the "OK" on that post again here with your request and also let us know how you would like to be credited in the LibriVox catalog - real name, pseudonym or other nickname.
~ Larry